Solid State Drive and Compatibility with GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0

Old December 11th 09, 03:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
Pedro Sanchez IV

Default Solid State Drive and Compatibility with GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0

UD3P board I have.

Are there any 'Pitfalls' to using an SSD Drive (64G maybe 128GB) to
completely take the job of the Hard Drive? Or at least take up 99% of
the job with THIS motherbaord?
Old December 12th 09, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
DL[_3_]

The difficulties in recovering data from a failed SSD
Cost still outways any performance increse

Old January 20th 11, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
John Slade[_2_]

On 12/11/2009 4:24 PM, DL wrote:
The difficulties in recovering data from a failed SSD
Cost still outways any performance increse

Well if the person makes regular backups of the drive or
just the important data, they won't need to do a recovery. Data
recovery from a failed HD is pretty costly though the price is
dropping.

John
Old January 24th 11, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
Gorby[_2_]

On 20/01/2011 5:51 PM, John Slade wrote:
On 12/11/2009 4:24 PM, DL wrote:
The difficulties in recovering data from a failed SSD
Cost still outways any performance increse

Well if the person makes regular backups of the drive or just the
important data, they won't need to do a recovery. Data recovery from a
failed HD is pretty costly though the price is dropping.

John

I have a GA-EP45-UD3 motherboard, and I installed an A-RAM 60 Gig SSD. I
had to get a new BIOS from Gigabyte F10c, which recognised the SSD.

I have installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on the SSD. The SSD also
has swap and programs on it. I have set all data (docs, pictures, music
and vidoes, etc) to be on a 1 Gig HDD.

The set up is very quick to boot, and load applications. Very happy with
that.

I'm not sure if the SSD is causing a random crash- reboot. It has only
stared since I have installed the SSD. It only happens when the PC is at
rest (unattended - default powersaving). I've never had it happen when I
am actually using the PC.

And Yes! I back up the PC every day using Retrospect onto external
harddrives.
Old January 27th 11, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
(PeteCresswell)

The difficulties in recovering data from a failed SSD
Cost still outways any performance increse

IMHO it's worth the modest learning curve/effort to learn how to
not keep data on a System drive. That's been my practice for
years now and it's a real source of comfort that, when the
teenager who bangs on my PC a couple hours every day, messes
something up I don't even think twice: fire up the Image utility
and re-image the system from the last backup image. 30 minutes
later, we're back to a clean system.

Having said all that.... I just switched over to an Intel 80-gig
SSD drive.

"Any" performance increase? I found a huge performance
increase. It's almost back to the old DOS/Character Screen/486
days: closest thing to instantaneous response I've seen in years.

I re-image from a newly-installed system often enough to be
familiar with the increase in performance/response that usually
follows reverting to a virgin install of XP. The increase from
using the SSD as system disc was way, way, waaaaay beyond that: a
quantum leap.

The SSD was about $180 at NewEgg. The system rebuild from
scratch is about six hours plus three weeks of "Oops... forgot
about that...better install it...".

For the response time I'm getting now, I'd do it again in a
heartbeat.
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 28th 11, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
Gorby[_2_]

On 12/11/2009 4:24 PM, DL wrote:
[...]

Forget about the furphy (spelling?) random crash. It has nothing to do
with the SSD. After looking at the Crash Dumps and doing a bit of
Googling, it seems the crashes are due to some problems with new ATI
video cards going into low power mode.
Old January 28th 11, 12:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
Gorby[_2_]

On 28/01/2011 8:49 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

I agree! My system cold starts extremely quickly! Programs load almost
immediately.

Love it!

Would a solid state hard drive X54 be useful in this e1405? Ike[_2_] Dell Computers 1 December 18th 07 06:38 AM
Solid state hard drive GT General 12 February 7th 07 11:05 AM
ssd solid state drive ram HarryHydro Storage (alternative) 2 November 16th 06 08:24 PM
ssd solid state drive ram HarryHydro Storage (alternative) 2 November 16th 06 08:22 PM
ssd solid state drive ram HarryHydro Storage (alternative) 1 November 16th 06 06:26 PM