Power supply signal cable header for COMPAQ Proliant DL 380

Old March 22nd 08, 12:10 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Mike B.[_2_]

Default Power supply signal cable header for COMPAQ Proliant DL 380

Hi.

I'm trying to substitute the COMPAQ DL380 (G1) Server Mainboard with
my VAX 4000 KA54, NVAX 100MHz Mainboard to get rid of the BA42A Case.

The mechanical rebuilding is simple.
The SCSI devices (4x36GB,Plextor-CDROM und 12/24GB DAT) are identified
and operational. Floppy and IDE-CDROM are disconnected.
The Power supply power connector is easy to discover.

Only the Power supply signal cable (14pin between hot plug power
supply bd and system board) is a mystery. That what I've discovered:

+3.3VS+ black o o black +3.3VS-
+5.1VS+ black o o red +5.0V AUX
key x o black +5.1VS-
ON_STB black o o black ??
PG black o o black ??
?? black o o black ??
?? black o o black ??

S+/S- = Sense. ON_STB = pull to GND for PowerOn. PG = PowerGood.

Maybe even this is wrong.
Any help/assistance on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike
Old March 22nd 08, 07:19 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Mike B." wrote in message
[...]

Mike,
I have never seen schematics on those Compaq's. A note though, DL380 G1 is a
dual power supply unit and both supplies talk to the mainboard. If only one
supply is plugged in you have no error, if two plugged in and either fail
board knows it. That is probably where the extra wires come in. I believe
you will also have a temperature wire/pair and possibly a fan speed for each
supply as well.
Phil

Old March 23rd 08, 03:43 AM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Cydrome Leader

Mike B. wrote:
[...]

good timing, sort of. I have a stack of dl380s near the bench. I took the
power supply backplane off to see what those pins are.

The uncool part (literally) is there is some sort of PAL on that
backplane. I have no idea what it does, and that board is multilayer

I ran the machine with various combinations of different power supplies
unplugged/plugged in and the machine being on/off and dig around at those
pins with a high impedance meter.

I din't find much. It's possible some of those pins are logic, or have to
do with power supply health. There was some millivolt stuff between 11 and
91mv, but none of it made anysense. One pin seems to indicate on/off
state, noted below.

o o
o o
o o
o o -- seems to jump from .25 to 4.8 volts if a PS is plugged/unplugged
o o -- sits at +4.9 if the machine is plugged in an off, then goes to
o o +3.2 if the machine is on (green power light)

I don't recall if the dl380 can even sense power supply temp or fan
health.

Old March 23rd 08, 05:53 AM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Phil" wrote in message
. ..

"Mike B." wrote in message
[...]

ALSO,

One or more of those lines also control the fans speed. When health drivers
are installed and the unit is not thermally "hot" the fans in the supplies
throttle down.