Need Help Re-Installing MS Works

Old February 28th 08, 03:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Zo

Default Need Help Re-Installing MS Works

My Packard Bell Win98 came with MS Works 4.5 pre-installed,and for
reasons unknown, some of the functions stop working. when I attempt to
reinstall it with the setup.exe file, located in the MS Works folder,
it ask me to insert the MS Works CD (I don't have one). The only disk
that came with this pc is a Packard Bell Companion CD disk and the
Master Recovery Disk. The Companion CD contains the initial Win98
installation files, I since upgraded to Win98SE sometime ago and still
have that CD. Does anyone know which one of these disk would have the
MS Works files? If so, what do you have to do to re-install just MS
Works? I hope it's not necessary to re-install the entire system. Any
assistance is greatly appreciated.

--
Zo
!CAUTION! Taglines may be hazardous to your disk space

Old February 28th 08, 07:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Rich/rerat

Zo,
If you upgraded to Win98SE over the original installation of Win98 (1st Ed)
using the recovery CD. The files should be on your PC to reinstall MS Works
4.5a.
1. See if you have a program called Software Tracker installed on your PC.
Start button Programs Packbell folder Software Tracker.

2. Or on you PC Goto:
C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\STracker.exe
And click on the program Scroll down the list and see and check the box for
installing Works4.5a Run the setup Reboot PC (My personal choice when
installing programs). Then go to MS website, there is an update to make
Works4.5 "Y2K" compliant.

3. The following is a posting I saved a while back from Google, about
extracting programs from the PBell MRCD, the "bundled" software installation
files were in the *.GTZ format, and were hidden. You may need to change your
folder options to see them. Hope this helps:

Google Search: gtz group:alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Groups
Advanced Groups Search Preferences Groups Help

Groups search result 6 for gtz
group:alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Search Result 6
From: Steve )
Subject: Master CD
Original Format
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Date: 2000-12-16 08:29:20 PST

Thanks for the help guyes but I found a way to extract the files and it
really works. I have been trying for many months and have tried many things
including support from Packard Bell but this here works. I found it on this
website. http://pages.infinit.net/velix/en_restore.htm ___________HERE ARE
THE INSTRUCTIONS.(I only used method one and it worked so I didn't try
method two.)
Extract applications from the MasterCD and the GTS files
If you reinstall Windows95 or Windows98 fresh you might want to intall some
of the applications from the master CD. There are two ways to do this.
If they are not in GTS files this is the simplest and easiest way. Just
search for the setup.exe and install.exe on your masterCD for each
applications. If it's not on there don't forget to look on the seperate CD's
you probably received with the purchase of your system if it was like mine.
Most applications were located on the Q:\Install directory on my masterCD.

If they are coded into GTS files you can either reinstall the software
tracker or follow one of these alternate methods. Try both if you wish. Good
Luck.
*****************
Method One

Insert the master CD and search for GTZ.dat
Open it with a simple text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad. You will find
the applications encoded as gts files. They will be listed by numbers in the
GTZ.dat file.
Locate and identify the number of the application you wish to install
Open an MS-DOS window
Type Q: to goto your CD drive (replace Q with the appropiate drive letter
for your CD drive if neccessary).
Type BU\D\WIN95.DAT\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\GTINST.EXE Q:\APPS\_ _.GTS INSTALL
(Insert the application number instead of these lines _ _ )
Press Enter
If it all works you should see a progress bar and the installation of your
selected application should start. If not try to experiment.
**************
Method two
Search for the path to GTINST.EXE on the master CD. Probably
Q:\BU\D\WIN95.DAT\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\GTINST.EXE
Create a C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\ directory on your computer.
Copy the GTINST.EXE from the master CD to the directory you have just
created.
Open Windows Explorer.
Click on View, then click Options.
Click on File Types.
Click on New Type.
In Description of type, type in GTS Files.
In Associated extension, type in GTS.
Click on the New button near the bottom.
In the Action section, type Install.
In Application used to perform action enter:
C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\GTINST.EXE %1 Install
Click on OK.
Click on Set Default.
Click OK.
Open the GTZ.dat file located on the master CD with Notepad or Wordpad to
find out which is the appropiate gts file for the application you wish to
install.
Double-click on the desired GTS file. It should now start reinstalling
itself. You may need to restart the computer for the application to work
correctly.

--
Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule

Old February 28th 08, 03:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Zo

Thanks for the info Rich. It has been so long that I completely forgot
that Packard Bell had items located in the Start Menu. A search on
these had an item call "Software Tracker". Using this, I was able to
reinstall MS Works and everything is back to normal. Thanks for the
reply.

--
Zo
"Shakespeare's Pizza - Free Chopsticks"

Old February 28th 08, 04:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Rich/rerat

Zo,
Your quite welcome.

Old February 29th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Rich I tried both methods on a disk with only 98se and I get a "bad command"
when using MSDos.
are there any typos to look out for in this...(D: is my cd drive)
Type BU\D\WIN95.DAT\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\GTINST.EXE Q:\APPS\_ _.GTS INSTALL

I also tried the second method for #133 which is the software tracker but
after reboot it could not find a stk.exe file when I clicked on the created
shortcut.
mc

"Rich/rerat" wrote in message
. ..
Zo,
Your quite welcome.

Old March 1st 08, 12:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Rich/rerat

mc,
I believe during the normal installation process, the Pbell MRCD designates
the CD-ROM that is used, as the "Q" drive.

1. You can try renaming/designating your CD-ROM. Personally I haven't done
this in a while, because I do not run any PC's with Win98, at this time. And
then try the command line again, as written.

BU\D\WIN95.DAT\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\GTINST.EXE Q:\APPS\_ _.GTS INSTALL

2. Or since your CD-ROM is labeled the "D" drive you might try changing the
"Q" (w/o quotes) in the command line to "E" (w/o quotes). So the command
line in DOS will look like this:
BU\D\WIN95.DAT\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\GTINST.EXESPAC EE:\APPS\_ _.GTS INSTALL

I believe the "BU\D\..." is for the "RamDrive feature used in installation.
The installation uses the RamDrive feature, pushing your CD-ROM out one
Drive letter, to be considered the "E" Drive.

--

"mc" wrote in message
Rich I tried both methods on a disk with only 98se and I get a "bad command"
when using MSDos.
are there any typos to look out for in this...(D: is my cd drive)
Type BU\D\WIN95.DAT\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\GTINST.EXE Q:\APPS\_ _.GTS INSTALL

I also tried the second method for #133 which is the software tracker but
after reboot it could not find a stk.exe file when I clicked on the created
shortcut.
mc

"Rich/rerat" wrote in message
. ..
Zo,
Your quite welcome.

Old March 1st 08, 01:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

Ok I'll give it a try, I actually had changed the WIN95.DAT to Win98.DAT
maybe that was the problem.
mc
. ..

"mc" wrote in message
Rich I tried both methods on a disk with only 98se and I get a "bad
command"
when using MSDos.
are there any typos to look out for in this...(D: is my cd drive)
Type BU\D\WIN95.DAT\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\GTS\GTINST.EXE Q:\APPS\_ _.GTS INSTALL

I also tried the second method for #133 which is the software tracker but
after reboot it could not find a stk.exe file when I clicked on the
created
shortcut.
mc

"Rich/rerat" wrote in message