5 1/4" floppy on 4122

Old December 27th 07, 12:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
John B. Egger

Default 5 1/4" floppy on 4122

I'm trying to install an old TEAC 5.25" drive in an almost-as-old Compaq
4122. Holding down F10 on bootup and choosing "Computer Setup",
"Storage" shows that the disk is considered a 3 1/2" disk (Storage: A:
1.44-megabyte (3.5 inch)". Help (F1) says "By selecting the storage icon
you can display or change the configuration of your computer's diskette
and hard drives." When I do that, Help says Diskette Drive A: allows you
to specify the type of diskette drive configured as A: as follows:" and
a 360-K 5.25" disk is one of the options.

But I don't see any way to change to it. Anyone know about this old issue?

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592
Old December 27th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to install an old TEAC 5.25" drive in an almost-as-old Compaq
4122. Holding down F10 on bootup and choosing "Computer Setup",
"Storage" shows that the disk is considered a 3 1/2" disk (Storage: A:
1.44-megabyte (3.5 inch)". Help (F1) says "By selecting the storage icon
you can display or change the configuration of your computer's diskette
and hard drives." When I do that, Help says Diskette Drive A: allows you
to specify the type of diskette drive configured as A: as follows:" and
a 360-K 5.25" disk is one of the options.

But I don't see any way to change to it. Anyone know about this old
issue?

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592

Aside from the HELP in BIOS, if you toggle through possible floppy drive
settings in BIOS (next page or up/down etc) your ONLY options are 1.44m or
360-K 5.25 ? I'm guessing that the F1 help is ancient code. Nothing since
the early-mid 80's shipped with a 360k floppy. What OS do you WANT to boot
? What came with it ?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...2666&lan g=en

click on DRIVERS area and you'll see:
" NOTE: Hardware devices (video, sound, network cards, and similar) that
were not designed for plug and play may not work in a computer that is
upgraded to Windows ME and later. If this is the case, you should probably
replace the hardware device with one that is compatible with your upgraded
operating system."

Old December 27th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to install an old TEAC 5.25" drive in an almost-as-old
Compaq 4122. Holding down F10 on bootup and choosing "Computer Setup",
"Storage" shows that the disk is considered a 3 1/2" disk (Storage: A:
1.44-megabyte (3.5 inch)". Help (F1) says "By selecting the storage
icon you can display or change the configuration of your computer's
diskette and hard drives." When I do that, Help says Diskette Drive A:
allows you to specify the type of diskette drive configured as A: as
follows:" and a 360-K 5.25" disk is one of the options.

But I don't see any way to change to it. Anyone know about this old
issue?

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592

Boot windows and check the error code you get on the drive for a clue what
the problem might be:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...odeUr l=true&

Old December 28th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
John B. Egger

- Bobb - wrote:

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

No error code is shown, Bob. Just a "disk in Drive A is not formatted.
Would you like to format it now?" If I click OK, it offers only 3.5"
options (1.44M or 720K), and if I try anyway it says the medium is not
of the specified capacity.

This machine uses Windows 95. The "IBM Clone" that the 5 1/4" drive came
from was purchased in about 1988. It had 2 360K floppy drives, no hard
drive, and used MS-DOS (I replaced it with DR-DOS, but same idea...) The
old programs I'd like to run are DOS programs.

I would have kept that old Clone but couldn't find a monitor that would
work with it. TTL or something... not VGA etc.

Old December 28th 07, 01:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
John B. Egger

- Bobb - wrote:

[...]

There are lots of options listed in the F1 Help. Two for 5 1/4"
diskettes, several for 3 1/2" diskettes. Other questions answered in
reply below... Desired OS = DOS, only DOS came with the old "IBM Clone"
(no hard disk at all...)

Old December 29th 07, 05:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

What is the DATE of manufacture Or BIOS date code on the 4122 ? -
something to give me a timeframe.... was it from 1991 ??? or 2002 ???
WHERE are you hooking up the IDE cable for the floppy drive?

If you're dealing with first generation pc ( 8080 cpu), I suspect that the
original Pc had a controller card for that hi-density 5/25" floppy. I
remember having 5.25 hi-density onboard for some PC's, BUT on another IBM
PC ( the first ones) , I also remember having 5.25" drives plugged NOT
into the motherboard - but into a ISA card that plugged into a slot on the
board. The card told OS the details about the high-density floppy drive.
Probably $1 on ebay if you can find it.

If you just want the INFO off the floppies:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-25-Floppy-Tran...d=p163 8.m118

Old December 29th 07, 10:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
John B. Egger

- Bobb - wrote:

What is the DATE of manufacture Or BIOS date code on the 4122 ? -
something to give me a timeframe.... was it from 1991 ??? or 2002 ???

The Compaq Presario 4122 was purchased new on January 4, 1997.

WHERE are you hooking up the IDE cable for the floppy drive?

There are two adjacent sockets on the MB. One of them is used for a
cable to the hard disk and CD-ROM drive. The cable that was plugged into
the other socket ran only to the 3 1/2" floppy drive. I just unplugged
that one, and plugged in the cable to my 5 1/2" drive.

If you're dealing with first generation pc ( 8080 cpu),

The 4122 uses a 150MHz Pentium CPU.

I suspect that
the original Pc had a controller card for that hi-density 5/25" floppy.

Is 360K considered "hi-density"? I know they came in 180K too, but I'd
think 720K would be "hi-density" and I don't have one of those.

I remember having 5.25 hi-density onboard for some PC's, BUT on another
IBM PC ( the first ones) , I also remember having 5.25" drives plugged
NOT into the motherboard - but into a ISA card that plugged into a slot
on the board. The card told OS the details about the high-density floppy
drive. Probably $1 on ebay if you can find it.

If you just want the INFO off the floppies:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-25-Floppy-Tran...d=p163 8.m118

Thanks!

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592
Klikit Linux 0.1-8 (beta)
Old December 29th 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

- Bobb - wrote:

What is the DATE of manufacture Or BIOS date code on the 4122 ? -
something to give me a timeframe.... was it from 1991 ??? or 2002 ???

The Compaq Presario 4122 was purchased new on January 4, 1997.

WHERE are you hooking up the IDE cable for the floppy drive?

There are two adjacent sockets on the MB. One of them is used for a
cable to the hard disk and CD-ROM drive. The cable that was plugged into
the other socket ran only to the 3 1/2" floppy drive. I just unplugged
that one, and plugged in the cable to my 5 1/2" drive.

If you're dealing with first generation pc ( 8080 cpu),

The 4122 uses a 150MHz Pentium CPU.

I suspect that
the original Pc had a controller card for that hi-density 5/25" floppy.

Is 360K considered "hi-density"? I know they came in 180K too, but I'd
think 720K would be "hi-density" and I don't have one of those.

Ok, in 1997 that Pc should now about your type floppy.
( Your drive IS set for MASTER ?) I'm reaching ...
Power off. Disconnect the floppy cable at the motherboard.
With no floppy hooked up - power up.
NOTE the BIOS date /version.
Now go into BIOS.
NOW can you choose your type as an option ? ( just checking - bad
drive/setting etc. )

It will take me a while to find them, but I have old Compaq service CD's
(service Tech) ... maybe some info there ( manual ? ). I'll look in the
next few days. I remember having to INSTALL the CD's ( back in Win95
timeframe) so not sure if I can just browse/pull up info I want in XP.

Old December 30th 07, 01:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
John B. Egger

- Bobb - wrote:

[...]

Wow. Thank you, Bob! I'll follow your suggestions. (I'm using the end
connector on the floppy cable, after the twist, so I think that's
Master. There's another 17-pin female connector on the cable, before the
twist; I tried that (it's probably slave) and the floppy wasn't even
detected so I went back to the end connector.)

That fellow who restores data wants $5 per disk. I'm not THAT curious
about all of my old 5 1/4" floppies!

Old December 30th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

- Bobb - wrote:

[...]

You're using a cable with a twist ?! - sheesh - that's gotta be 20+ years
old.
Borrow a floppy cable from another Pc for 10 minutes and :
check the jumper on the drive ( master/slave- is there one on there ??)
and use the borrwoed( known good) cable - can you see drive now ?