Getting a DL380 G1 image

Old November 19th 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

Default Getting a DL380 G1 image

I currently have a DL380 G1 that is running netware 5.1 and GroupWise
7.0.2 We are migrating the GroupWise System to a G4 running Linux but
I first need to obtain a good solid image (not a file by file copy) of
the data in case of a meltdown so that I can lay the image back down
and be back up and running quickly.

The problem is that there is no room on any of the drives that are
currently in the G1 to hold an image from any of the other drive in
the G1, so I need a way to image to an external device. There are no
USB ports, and when I hook up an IDE drive to the internal IDE port
inside the case PowerQuest Server Image does not recognize it, and if
I insert a USB card into a PCI slot and plug a drive in, it is not
seen by Server Image either.

How do I get an image of this system when it is not running Windows?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old November 19th 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
msg

wrote:

I currently have a DL380 G1 that is running netware 5.1 and GroupWise
7.0.2 ...

snip

How do I get an image of this system when it is not running Windows?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since no one else has replied...

I often need to 'image' drives or arrays on systems that have no
additional slots for HBAs or for which the o/s will not conveniently
support additional mass storage. The most convenient solution for
myself is either:

1. If the drives to be imaged are not boot devices, change out the
boot device in the original system (or boot from a live CD-ROM if
possible) to run a flavor of *nix or even Win2k and use 'dd' to
raw copy the data to a medium of your choice.

2. Remove the drives, or in the case of arrays, the cages and HBAs,
and attach them to a different system running an appropriate o/s
as above to run 'dd'.

In either case be sure to have drivers in advance for the new o/s
to handle the source drives' HBAs.

Last year I dd'ed a Smart2-P array on a Proliant 3000 running
Netware 5.1 by simply swapping the boot drive with one running my
o/s of choice.

Bear in mind that these backups are only useful to restore to
devices with the same geometry or array configuration as used
when creating them.

Regards,

Michael

DL380 G1... Rick F. Compaq Servers 5 May 31st 06 11:36 PM
Anyone web based image back up services or Acronis Drive Image 7.0 vs Symantec Drive Image 7.0 FransHals General 5 June 25th 04 02:51 AM
Anyone web based image back up services or Acronis Drive Image 7.0 vs Symantec Drive Image 7.0 FransHals Storage (alternative) 5 June 25th 04 02:51 AM
Acronis True Image 7.0: Image verify, and bootable DVD image write? Matt Storage & Hardrives 11 January 16th 04 12:42 AM
Acronis True Image 7.0: Image verify, and bootable DVD image write? Matt Storage (alternative) 11 January 16th 04 12:42 AM