LG got ya ears on !?

Old May 4th 07, 03:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Default LG got ya ears on !?

Not seen any posts here and wondered if it still worked !
Nutcracker, did you get around to checking those switch settings in that 370
?
Phil

Old May 4th 07, 01:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Phil" wrote in message
Not seen any posts here and wondered if it still worked !
Nutcracker, did you get around to checking those switch settings in that
370
?
Phil

Hello Phil,

Im still here ... there just hasnt been much to post about lately.

I havent opened up the 370 yet, as I have been focused on the decom of my
old web/sql server (PL800). Im real close to shutting that down for good.
Had it powered off for a few days, but had to bring it back up beause there
were some files on it that I needed. I think I have everything moved at this
point.

After its finally laid to rest, I can remove it from the telco rack its in,
remove the shelves, and have very easy access to the 370. I will check it
then. Im reasonably sure that the switches are set for AUTO, but I will
double check to be safe.

Do you have a cheap source for 146G drives? I picked up a DL580G2 for a
song, and want to build it out as an ESX box for the colo facility. I have
plans for a new BCS (business continuity service) offering that will
leverage the 580 very, very welll.

I also know a shop here in chicago that has about 40 DL360G2's that they are
selling for about $275 (Dual 1.4, 2x1GB, 2x18G, etc). But with the G2's
being this cheap, the G3's are coming down in price too. So, I dont think i
will be buying any more G2's from this point forward. But, for a solid
lite-usage platform, the G2 is difficult to beat.

I should know more about the switches and such on the 370, probably by the
end of the weekend.

Stay tuned,

- LC

Old May 4th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Phil" wrote in message
Not seen any posts here and wondered if it still worked !
Nutcracker, did you get around to checking those switch settings in that
370
?
Phil

I forgot the appropriate response to the question:

10-4, Good Buddy !

Old May 4th 07, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
Not seen any posts here and wondered if it still worked !
Nutcracker, did you get around to checking those switch settings in that
370
?
Phil

I forgot the appropriate response to the question:

10-4, Good Buddy !

Ha ha, haven't heard that in 20 years.

That reminds me of years ago when my daughter was about 6 years old. I used
to take them (kids) on trips to zoo's, caves, and such that required several
hours driving. In those days we had the classic "CB" radio, but all we did
was listen to see where the speed traps were.

I will never forget seeing tire tracks leading off behind a mound of dirt
where a patrol car could hide. My little daughter popped up and said very
quickly, "daddy, watch out, there is bear tracks".

Amazing what you/kids pick up, just listening to the old "CB". Are they even
used any more, I think still have an old side-band radio and 100 watt amp. I
guess more junk for ebay !

Old May 6th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Phil" wrote in message
Not seen any posts here and wondered if it still worked !
Nutcracker, did you get around to checking those switch settings in that
370
?
Phil

Hey Phil,

I finally cracked the 370 open today. My SW2 Switch (6 dip) was exactly as
yours is. I moved switch 3 from ON to OFF ... the reason being, that switch
identifies the system as Tower or Rack Mount. If #3 is OFF, its rackmount,
which would accurately match my system form factor.

As for SW1, all my switches were in the OFF position. I changed this to
match your settings, and booted the server, ran the SCU from the F10 utils
(just to be uber-anal), and then booted into the OS. So far, no noticable
difference.

However, while I can the top off this thing, i looked more closely at the
air-baffle. I am nearly convinced that the one I have is just a whisker too
small, as it doesnt line up just right with the velcro pads. The way the
baffle had been installed before may have been suffocating CPU2 by not
letting enough air flow over the heatsink. So, i adjusted its placement
somewhat, and it seems like there is more air coming out of the back of the
machine.

I will go ahead and re-apply service pack 2 on this machine, and see what
happens to the system temp.

The CPU4 sensor is still a little high, but it never exceeded 54C (threshold
of 68).

I dont know if the switch settings helped, or the improved placement of the
foam baffle

Thanks for you assistance on this,

- LC

Old May 7th 07, 04:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Did you check the baffle part number? Those baffles vary in the "cut" or
form/shape for the various early model Compaqs. By that I mean that the rear
portion of that baffle is cut at an angle to allow full exposure to the rear
fan while forcing the bulk of the air through the cpu heatsinks. The only
other difference I have seen is the RPM of the exhaust fan. One version does
move a higher volume of air. In order to see the speed of the fan, I could
pull one loose from the chassis.

I could also take a photo of the baffle/angles if needed. I can't say
anything on what those switch changes would accomplish, just thankful I had
a factory sample to share. One switch is documented on the cover, the other
has no printed reference on the case or board that I have found.

Changing the subject, what is the latest/fastest "server" that will accept
an ISA card. I have a weather related specialized card that is ISA and have
been running it in an old 1850R/600's. I also have the newer PCI version of
the card but since it's a 500 buck card I hate to can the ISA since it
works. I'm sure I could just leave it in the 1850 but all those vintage
machines are loosing the CMOS battery. That old 800 you were retiring, the
battery is the most common problem with that too. Just an aggravation to
pull the board to solder in a new one.

Thanks,
Phil