HP Netserver LH 6000R

Old March 28th 07, 05:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
ping

Default HP Netserver LH 6000R

Hi,

I have an old HP Netserver 6000R. Recently the all the hard disk LED
shows amber light and from the event log I saw some "Sensekey error".
Do you guys know what exactly sensekey error means?

Also, can I replace NetRaid adapter with Compaq Smart Array series?
Are they compatible and will the OS still able to bootup?

Thanks.

Old March 28th 07, 05:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
NuT CrAcKeR

"ping" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an old HP Netserver 6000R. Recently the all the hard disk LED
shows amber light and from the event log I saw some "Sensekey error".
Do you guys know what exactly sensekey error means?

Also, can I replace NetRaid adapter with Compaq Smart Array series?
Are they compatible and will the OS still able to bootup?

Thanks.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SENSE+KEY+ERROR

- LC

Old March 28th 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
Ben Myers

A sense key error is the SCSI way of telling you something is very wrong with a
SCSI hard drive.

If you replace the NetRaid, you will need to use the new RAID adapter's built-in
firmware (or on software CD or diskette) to set up all the drives again. Before
doing so, make sure all your drives are in working order... Ben Myers

Old March 28th 07, 07:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
ping

Hi,

All the hard disk in the cage is showing amber light. How do I verify
which hard disk is failing? In the log there is only sensekey error.
Will study the sensekey log.

Thanks!

On Mar 28, 1:09 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
A sense key error is the SCSI way of telling you something is very wrong with a
SCSI hard drive.

If you replace the NetRaid, you will need to use the new RAID adapter's built-in
firmware (or on software CD or diskette) to set up all the drives again. Before
doing so, make sure all your drives are in working order... Ben Myers

On 27 Mar 2007 21:06:33 -0700, "ping" wrote:

Hi,

I have an old HP Netserver 6000R. Recently the all the hard disk LED
shows amber light and from the event log I saw some "Sensekey error".
Do you guys know what exactly sensekey error means?

Also, can I replace NetRaid adapter with Compaq Smart Array series?
Are they compatible and will the OS still able to bootup?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Old March 28th 07, 07:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
ping

Hi,

Does this mean Hard disk SCSI ID 1,2 something is wrong? This happen
after a blackout. Can it be the RAID 5 stripe inconsistent?

Thanks!

NOTIFY:Check Condition on Ch 0 ID 1 with the following sense key - Tue
Mar 13 11:22:18 2007
f0 00 03 02 59 30 45
18 00 00 00 00 11 00
NOTIFY:Check Condition on Ch 0 ID 2 with the following sense key - Tue
Mar 13 11:22:18 2007
f0 00 03 02 d4 80 e2
18 00 00 00 00 11 00
NOTIFY:Check Condition on Ch 0 ID 2 with the following sense key - Tue
Mar 13 11:22:18 2007
f0 00 03 02 d4 80 f0
18 00 00 00 00 11 00

Battery backup:Module missing - Tue Mar 13 11:22:50 2007
Log Started.

Old March 28th 07, 02:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
Ben Myers

Right. Some sort of failure when accessing drives with SCSI IDs 1 and 2.

If you are attempting to put the computer back into service, rather than fix a
computer which is already in service, I recommend starting from scratch,
reconfiguring the RAID subsystem just like it was brand-new out of the box. You
may have to replace one or more of the drives.

Also, please note "Battery backup:Module missing - Tue Mar 13 11:22:50 2007".
This tells me that the battery in the battery backup is probably dead or
defective... Ben Myers

Old March 28th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
Rob Turk

"ping" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Does this mean Hard disk SCSI ID 1,2 something is wrong? This happen
after a blackout. Can it be the RAID 5 stripe inconsistent?

Thanks!

NOTIFY:Check Condition on Ch 0 ID 1 with the following sense key - Tue
Mar 13 11:22:18 2007
f0 00 03 02 59 30 45
18 00 00 00 00 11 00
NOTIFY:Check Condition on Ch 0 ID 2 with the following sense key - Tue
Mar 13 11:22:18 2007
f0 00 03 02 d4 80 e2
18 00 00 00 00 11 00
NOTIFY:Check Condition on Ch 0 ID 2 with the following sense key - Tue
Mar 13 11:22:18 2007
f0 00 03 02 d4 80 f0
18 00 00 00 00 11 00

Battery backup:Module missing - Tue Mar 13 11:22:50 2007
Log Started.

Both drives show Sense key 03 (the 3rd byte), which means 'Media error'.
Further detail can be found in byte 12 and 13 (ASC=11 and ASCQ=00), which
means 'Unrecoverable Read Error'. Looks like your drives are toast. If all
drives show this at the very same time you either experienced a cooling
failure that really overheated the drives, you bumped the server off the
table, or if you're very lucky, you have a power supply problem that messes
up the drives.

Rob

Old March 29th 07, 04:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
NuT CrAcKeR

"Rob Turk" wrote in message
.. .
"ping" wrote in message
[...]

i was thining that if ALL the drives are affected, its probably something
common to all of them;
drive backplane
bad cable
faulty controller (least likely)

Old March 29th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
Folkert Rienstra

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
"Rob Turk" wrote in message .. .
[...]

How about a blackout. Nah.

Rob

i was thining that if ALL the drives are affected, its probably something
common to all of them;
drive backplane
bad cable
faulty controller (least likely)

keep thining mate the anser was already given; wot did you not unnerstand about it
Old March 29th 07, 04:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi
ping

Hi,

How to read the sense code, qualifier, etc? Is the sensecode same
throughout different vendor and family?

The sensecode reference is in hex format. and how do I compare the log
file with the reference?
For example, from the log:
f0 00 03 02 59 30 45
18 00 00 00 00 11 00
How do I know which byte is a sensekey, and which byte is a sensekey
qualifier? I am kind of weak trying to dicipher these.

Will it help if I do a consistency check using NetRaid utilities?

When I call HP support, they could not determinne which part
fails(They suspect scsi backplane). From the log, however they tend to
say it is a soft-error(recoverable error). Also, they informed me that
the battery backup module is optional and might not be installed. I do
not know how true it is.

Appreciate help from you guys.

Thanks.

On Mar 28, 11:20 pm, "Rob Turk" wrote:

[...]