Transferring RAID config to One Channel to another

Old March 23rd 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Pandi K

Default Transferring RAID config to One Channel to another

Hi, I am using HP ML 370 Prolaint Server with Smart array 642
Controller which has one internal SCSI Channel and one external SCSI
Channel. What I did was I configured the RAID in external SCSI channel
and I installed the Windows Server 2003. Now lots of huge applications
is running in that server.

Now I want to connect a DLT Drive. But I cannot connnect this to
external SCSI channel(Because I have configured raid on that
channel).

So I need a way to backup the raid configuration in external channel
and restore it to internal channel. so that I can connect my DLT Drive
into external channel.

Once again I memorize my hardware :

HP Proliant ML 370 G4 Server with Smart Array Controller 642.

My Array Configuration utility version 7.30.6.0

Very Big database is running.

Thanks in advance

Old March 23rd 07, 02:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Aidan Grey

On 22 Mar 2007 23:27:09 -0700, Pandi K wrote:

Hi, I am using HP ML 370 Prolaint Server with Smart array 642
Controller which has one internal SCSI Channel and one external SCSI
Channel. What I did was I configured the RAID in external SCSI channel
and I installed the Windows Server 2003. Now lots of huge applications
is running in that server.

Now I want to connect a DLT Drive. But I cannot connnect this to
external SCSI channel(Because I have configured raid on that
channel).

So I need a way to backup the raid configuration in external channel
and restore it to internal channel. so that I can connect my DLT Drive
into external channel.

Once again I memorize my hardware :

HP Proliant ML 370 G4 Server with Smart Array Controller 642.

My Array Configuration utility version 7.30.6.0

Very Big database is running.

Thanks in advance

It sounds like you are running a software RAID array on the external
channel of your builtin SCSI array. Is that correct?

Your main need is to avoid damaging your existing data and applications
before you have a good backup. There are several possible choices
for you once your data is secure.

I suggest you try to install an extra SCSI controller in your machine, and
then connect a DLT drive to that. That should allow you to do a backup,
and keep your data safe.

Aidan Grey

Old March 24th 07, 05:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Pandi K

On Mar 23, 6:38 am, "Aidan Grey" wrote:
[...]

Aidan Grey- Hide quoted text -

I am using Hardware array..Is there any other way?

Old March 24th 07, 10:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Pandi K" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am using HP ML 370 Prolaint Server with Smart array 642
Controller which has one internal SCSI Channel and one external SCSI
Channel. What I did was I configured the RAID in external SCSI channel
and I installed the Windows Server 2003. Now lots of huge applications
is running in that server.

Now I want to connect a DLT Drive. But I cannot connnect this to
external SCSI channel(Because I have configured raid on that
channel).

You can't connect a DLT to a SmartArray card. You have to use the onboard
SCSI controller.

So you do not need to change anything with the way thet the SA-642 is set
up. You simply need to plug the DLT drive into the onboard SCSI port.

So I need a way to backup the raid configuration in external channel
and restore it to internal channel.

No need to do that - you can just swap the cable from channel 1 to channel 2
and it will work with no risk of dataloss. It will grumble to tell you
something's changed, but you just tell it to carry on and it will be happy.

However, DLT will not work on SmartArray.

Old March 26th 07, 11:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Pandi K

On Mar 24, 2:05 am, "Jez T"
wrote:
"Pandi K" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

As I already told you, In my Smart arrry 642 controller, two SCSI
Channels are there..

(Smart array 642
Controller which has one internal SCSI Channel and one external SCSI).
Please read my problem once agian..

Swapping the cable is ok...But i need to take the configuration backup
before..If any thing goes wrong!!!!!oh..I cannot imagine .....Because
some 158GX10 harddisks..all contains important..could u tell me any
other idea which makes me confidence

Old March 26th 07, 06:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-03-26, Pandi K wrote:

As I already told you, In my Smart arrry 642 controller, two SCSI
Channels are there..

(Smart array 642
Controller which has one internal SCSI Channel and one external SCSI).
Please read my problem once agian..

Pandi --

Please re-read what they said.. (and I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm
wrong here).. But, my understanding is that the SmartArray controllers are meant
to ONLY talk to harddrives and they do NOT support any form of Tape drives at
all.. So, it does NOT matter that you've got two channels on your SmartArray
controller, it will still NOT talk to your DLT drive. You need to connect it to
a different SCSI controller.

Hope that makes sense..

Old March 26th 07, 06:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Pandi K" wrote in message

However, DLT will not work on SmartArray.

As I already told you, In my Smart arrry 642 controller, two SCSI
Channels are there..

DLTs do NOT work on Smart Array controllers.

Old March 26th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Aidan Grey

( Snip)

It sounds like you are running a software RAID array on the external
channel of your builtin SCSI array. Is that correct?

Your main need is to avoid damaging your existing data and applications
before you have a good backup. There are several possible choices
for you once your data is secure.

I suggest you try to install an extra SCSI controller in your machine, and
then connect a DLT drive to that. That should allow you to do a backup,
and keep your data safe.

Aidan Grey- Hide quoted text -

I am using Hardware array..Is there any other way?

Pandi:

We need more information before we can give you any advice.

Which specific model of an ML 370 do you have? Is it a G1,
G2, G3 or G4.

Is the Smart Array 642 you are using on the motherboard, or is
it an add-in card? If so, does the cable from your internal drives
go to this card, or to the motherboard.

The reason I ask this is that most Proliants have a dual SCSI
controller on the motherboard. The older Smart Array's were
add-in cards, but some recent proliants have Smart Array 5i or
6i integrated to the motherboard as well.

An external SCSI connecter on the chassis should be connected
to the motherboard SCSI controller, not to the Smart Array controller.

On this subject, what do you see in Windows Device Manager? Is
there an entry for the Smart Array 642, and a separate entry for a
SCSI controller?

Aidan Grey

Old March 26th 07, 08:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Aidan Grey" wrote in message
Pandi:

We need more information before we can give you any advice.

Which specific model of an ML 370 do you have? Is it a G1,
G2, G3 or G4.

Or G5, and while that would be useful to know, it's not actually necessary.
Probably G3, maybe G2 if it has a 642 in it.

Is the Smart Array 642 you are using on the motherboard, or is
it an add-in card?

Google "Smart Array 642" - It's a PCI card = must be 'add-in'

If so, does the cable from your internal drives
go to this card, or to the motherboard.

IF you read the post very carefully, you'll see 10 disks attached in an
external storage bay. = none at all internally.

The reason I ask this is that most Proliants have a dual SCSI
controller on the motherboard.

They do, so he should already have an external SCSI interface that's
suitable.

The older Smart Array's were
add-in cards, but some recent proliants have Smart Array 5i or
6i integrated to the motherboard as well.

You can't speculate on that - you need to check the parts on a per-server
basis.

Returning to non-Raid config from Raid 0? Dave[_4_] Storage (alternative) 10 March 3rd 07 03:06 AM
Single & Dual Channel on Memory Config. Paul Asus Motherboards 1 January 31st 05 03:09 PM
Fiber channel tape drive config help Kyle Tucker Storage & Hardrives 8 December 28th 04 04:08 AM
Raid config ? David Ciemny Intel 11 April 10th 04 09:24 PM
Raid config ? David Ciemny General 3 April 8th 04 11:12 AM