Help Cloning Configuration DL380 G2

Old February 28th 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default Help Cloning Configuration DL380 G2

On a DL380 G2, I have a system drive as RAID 1 on SCSI ID=0 and ID=1.
With power off, I removed the drive in ID=1, and put it into an identical
DL380 G2 in the ID=1 position, hoping to clone the configuration. The
system boots fine on the new computer, but when I stick an identical drive
in the ID=0 position it refuses to rebuild to that ID=0 drive. How can I
check what is wrong there?

The HP Configuration Utility is getting to be pretty useless and feels like
it has gone backwards in the feature set in the last five years. I don't
seem to have very much control at all over the array in that utility. At
the BIOS level, I also cannot see the individual devices when the logical
drive is already built, and do not seem to get either clear error messages
nor the ability to manually try to force the rebuild.

Is there a trick to forcing a rebuild in this circumstance? I assume the
new drive I am putting in is seen as bad or inappropriate for the mirror,
but getting some kind of explicit confirmation about this is what I want.

What are the requirements around using identical drives in a mirror? I have
to reorder more of the original drive I was using here, but do not want to
try similar drives given possible different disk geometry.

--
Will

Old March 1st 07, 12:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Will" wrote in message
On a DL380 G2, I have a system drive as RAID 1 on SCSI ID=0 and ID=1.
With power off, I removed the drive in ID=1, and put it into an identical
DL380 G2 in the ID=1 position, hoping to clone the configuration. The
system boots fine on the new computer, but when I stick an identical drive
in the ID=0 position it refuses to rebuild to that ID=0 drive. How can I
check what is wrong there?

Update all firmware, including all the drives.
Run a system erase on the 2nd DG380G2 and the new disk
Try again. I would start the system and recover the RAID config / make sure
it boots, and hot-plug the new drive 0 in the 2nd server.

The HP Configuration Utility is getting to be pretty useless and feels
like
it has gone backwards in the feature set in the last five years.

It's a G2 - it is about 5 years old technology already!

I don't
seem to have very much control at all over the array in that utility. At
the BIOS level, I also cannot see the individual devices when the logical
drive is already built, and do not seem to get either clear error messages
nor the ability to manually try to force the rebuild.

What you're doing works, but it's not exactly using the technology as it was
designed...
FW is VERY important.

Old March 1st 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Will" wrote in message
On a DL380 G2, I have a system drive as RAID 1 on SCSI ID=0 and ID=1.
With power off, I removed the drive in ID=1, and put it into an

identical
DL380 G2 in the ID=1 position, hoping to clone the configuration. The
system boots fine on the new computer, but when I stick an identical

drive
in the ID=0 position it refuses to rebuild to that ID=0 drive. How can

check what is wrong there?

Update all firmware, including all the drives.
Run a system erase on the 2nd DG380G2 and the new disk
Try again. I would start the system and recover the RAID config / make

sure
it boots, and hot-plug the new drive 0 in the 2nd server.

Just applying the new firmware got me to the point that the replacement
drive is now being seen as an unassigned drive. How do I assign that drive
to the array that needs the replacement drive? That was a very easy thing
to do in the older GUI based Array Config Utility. In this web based thing
they use now I don't see how to accomplish that. What's the trick to
getting the new drive properly assigned, and after I do the assignment will
it automatically replace the old drive?

The HP Configuration Utility is getting to be pretty useless and feels
like
it has gone backwards in the feature set in the last five years.

It's a G2 - it is about 5 years old technology already!

The GUI ACU was much more feature rich in 1999.

--
Will

Dl380 G2 With SATA or SAS Will Compaq Servers 7 November 25th 06 10:10 AM
DL380 (G1) Wake-On-LAN??? [email protected] Compaq Servers 4 August 14th 06 10:42 AM
DL380 G1... Rick F. Compaq Servers 5 May 31st 06 11:36 PM
DL380 G2 Without Smartarray Will Compaq Servers 2 April 14th 06 03:07 AM
ProLiant DL380 G1 Memory VinceV Compaq Servers 1 December 25th 04 05:31 PM