Using old SA 3200 controller in new computer

Old February 18th 07, 12:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
T-Man

Default Using old SA 3200 controller in new computer

I am bulding a new computer based on a Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, and
was thinking of keeping the Smart Array Controller and the SCSI-disks
(I have 6x36 GB and 6x72 GB disks to play with) from an old Proliant
1600 server.

Can anybody see any problems in this, before I am palcing my order for
the new MB, CPU, RAM etc?

How can I for example tell how many of the harddisks I could put in
this system regarding the power consumption? I plan to use the 450 Watt
PS that comes with the Antec Sonana II case.

Is there anything else a neede to keep in mind with this setup?

This computer is intended to run VMWare Server on Debian Linux 3.1.

--
T-Man
T-Man's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=877

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

Old February 19th 07, 06:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-02-18, T-Man wrote:

I am bulding a new computer based on a Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, and
was thinking of keeping the Smart Array Controller and the SCSI-disks
(I have 6x36 GB and 6x72 GB disks to play with) from an old Proliant
1600 server.

Can anybody see any problems in this, before I am palcing my order for
the new MB, CPU, RAM etc?

It seems to me that I read on this group sometime in the past that while you'll
cause no harm to the machine in which you place your SA3200 card, the firmware
in the card will not be happy when it realizes its not in a Proliant and won't
work -- or perhaps that was the drives for windows? Anyway, I wouldn't count
my chickens just yet.. My bet is that it won't work or others would have
already gone down this route..

Old February 19th 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

I havent tried it, but I could probably do that without much trouble. Im not
a fan of doing this kind of thing, as regular readers already know.

the real question is .. IF the card does infact work, will you be able to
run the ACU on a non-HPaq box to work with the controller ?

- LC

Old March 3rd 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Fpbear II

So did it work??

Old March 3rd 07, 09:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
T-Man[_2_]

Well, although I managed see the SA3200 controller in the Debian OS, I
could never access the disks.. If thats my vague experience of Linux or
something else I dont really know...

Old March 3rd 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Fpbear II

Maybe you have to first configure the RAID Array in the SmartArray BIOS at
boot?

Old March 4th 07, 05:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Fpbear II" wrote in message
et...
Maybe you have to first configure the RAID Array in the SmartArray BIOS at
boot?

the SA3200 does not have a rom based setup utility (RBSU) ... it must be
done with the array configuration utility (ACU)

Old March 4th 07, 12:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
T-Man[_3_]

I used a Smart Start 5.5 CD to boot and configured the array.