Smartarray 5Si Reporting in Windows EventViewer

Old February 7th 07, 07:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default Smartarray 5Si Reporting in Windows EventViewer

I'm using Smartarray 5Si in a DL380 G2, and I want to better understand how
much detail with the controller drivers record in the Windows EventViewer in
case of errors? Will they record SMART failures? What about minor
inconsistencies seen on the disk and corrected? Does reporting these
things require some additional software other than the basic driver, and is
the amount of error recording detail configurable somewhere?

--
Will

Old February 7th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

you must have the insight agents installed for the event log logging to take
place. The log entries will be made by the storage agents, and not by the
controller itself.

- LC

Old February 8th 07, 12:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
you must have the insight agents installed for the event log logging to

take
place. The log entries will be made by the storage agents, and not by the
controller itself.

I was afraid of that, thanks.

I guess those agents expose some network port? Is there a way to turn that
off so they just perform logging functions locally and don't respond to
network calls?

--
Will

Old February 8th 07, 12:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
you must have the insight agents installed for the event log logging to

take
place. The log entries will be made by the storage agents, and not by the
controller itself.

By the way, since you are Mr Proliant software, I would appreciate your
advise about which of the dozens of HP applications that come in the
Proliant Support Pack are the most useful (drivers excluded). The
Proliant Dl380 G3 I am building at the moment is a firewall so I want to
minimize exposed number of networking ports, but would value high quality
messages in the eventviewer about the computer's condition.

I saw more than one Insight Agent as well. Which is the one for SmartArray
5Si messages?

--
Will

Old February 8th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

I was afraid of that, thanks.

I guess those agents expose some network port? Is there a way to turn
that
off so they just perform logging functions locally and don't respond to
network calls?

--
Will

In order for the agents to work properly, you must have the SNMP services
installed and configured. When done, the following services should
successfully install;

HP Insight Event Notifier (requires additonal setup)
HP Insight Foundation Agents
HP Insight NIC Agents
HP Insight Server Agents
HP Insight Storage Agents
HP ProLiant Remote Monitor Service
HP ProLiant System Shutdown Service
HP System Management Homepage
HP Version Control Agent

The Foundation Agents are a wrapper for the other component level agents and
tie into the SNMP service. They dont really reply to "network calls" in the
way that you are probably thinking. Since this machine will be a firewall,
just make sure that UDP port 161 is blocked from the public interface, as
you may want to be able to remotely manage your server from the inside of
the network.

The System Management Hompage is served up via an Apache Tomcat web server
service that comes with the agent package. It uses a high port and is
typically portected by SSL. The SMHP is used to view various health
conditions on the server, either locally or remotely (depending on security
setup).

ALL of my HP servers, regardless of thier function, have the agents
installed and are configured to send SNMP traps to my monitoring gateways.
Its the only way to really know whats going on with the 2000+ hosts in the
environment.

I would focus my attention on my firewall rules more than trying to hobble
these services on the box, to create a more secure platform.

- LC

Old February 8th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
The System Management Hompage is served up via an Apache Tomcat web server
service that comes with the agent package. It uses a high port and is
typically portected by SSL. The SMHP is used to view various health
conditions on the server, either locally or remotely (depending on

security
setup).

This is the one that scares me a bit. I don't want an Apache web server
running on a firewall, even with the port blocked. Is the other
functionality like logging to the eventviewer going to break if we set that
service disabled?

ALL of my HP servers, regardless of thier function, have the agents
installed and are configured to send SNMP traps to my monitoring gateways.
Its the only way to really know whats going on with the 2000+ hosts in the
environment.

Very reasonable for a large environment, but ours is small.

What application does Compaq provide for capturing those SNMP traps?
Hopefully there is something cheap rather than a beheamoth like OpenView?

--
Will

Old February 9th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Will" wrote in message
[...]

its a very specialized application, and is invoked on demnad by the HP
System Management Hompage Service. If you want to, you can disable it or set
it to manual, as it wont affect the funtionallity of the other agents.
However, you will be cutting yourself off from one of the most intelligent
features that the. If you are that worried about it, get a real firewall
appliance and call it a day. Then you can use the server for a more suitable
purpose.

For SNMP trap capturing, read up on HP System Insight Manager. There is a
TON of information on the HP site.

Any environment, large or small, should be managed intelligently.

Old February 9th 07, 08:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
its a very specialized application, and is invoked on demnad by the HP
System Management Hompage Service. If you want to, you can disable it or

set
it to manual, as it wont affect the funtionallity of the other agents.
However, you will be cutting yourself off from one of the most intelligent
features that the. If you are that worried about it, get a real firewall
appliance and call it a day. Then you can use the server for a more

suitable
purpose.

For SNMP trap capturing, read up on HP System Insight Manager. There is a
TON of information on the HP site.

Any environment, large or small, should be managed intelligently.

What part of the country are you in out of curiosity? I assume your e-mail
posted here is a fake?

--
Will

Old February 9th 07, 08:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
its a very specialized application, and is invoked on demnad by the HP
System Management Hompage Service. If you want to, you can disable it or

set
it to manual, as it wont affect the funtionallity of the other agents.
However, you will be cutting yourself off from one of the most intelligent
features that the. If you are that worried about it, get a real firewall
appliance and call it a day. Then you can use the server for a more

suitable
purpose.

For SNMP trap capturing, read up on HP System Insight Manager. There is a
TON of information on the HP site.

Any environment, large or small, should be managed intelligently.

HP Insight Event Manager starts up in Disabled state. Should I be worried
about that?

System Management Homepage appears to freeze on startup in the browser at
Internet Enhanced Security tool enabled. I added to Trusted Sites
https://127.0.0.1. MSIE 7 complains about the certificate. After
timeout I get the homepage, but obviously it is broken, and selecting any
other tab gets same timeout. Any thoughts on how to get that working?

--
Will

Old February 9th 07, 12:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Im in Chicago. The email addy used for posting is fake so that I dont get
gazillions of spams.

Are you in L.A. ?