Resurecting a ProLiant 3000?

Old September 10th 06, 05:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
***** charles

Default Resurecting a ProLiant 3000?

Hi all,

The Linux group I attend just got a ProLiant 3000.
It had just one cpu and 64M of ram and 6)hds.
One of the other members got another P2-333
that matched and got the ram up to 851M. One
of the hd's was bad and was removed so now it
has 5) 9G scsi's in it. The cmos date is 1998 and
I would like to flash it to the newest possible and
build the server into a Debian machine for ftp's
from our lan. I have tried to download and run
the smart start cd which did not update anything.
I also downloaded the floppy that wiped out
everything which it did. So my questions a

1. what do I need to download and how do I
need to run it to update the cmos in the box?

2. how do I get the smart start to work properly?

3. how many and what size scsi drives do I need
to get to load up the box to its' largest size
using both pri/sec scsi connectors from the
motherboard?

4. what configurations are supported by the scsi
controller on the motherboard (jbod or raid)?

5. if something is wrong with the hardware how do
I determine what it is?

thanks for any feedback,
charles......

Old September 10th 06, 07:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Cool! God (and LC) knows I love these 3000 questions! Let me give this
a shot:

***** charles wrote:
The Linux group I attend just got a ProLiant 3000.
It had just one cpu and 64M of ram and 6)hds.
One of the other members got another P2-333
that matched and got the ram up to 851M.

I would like to start by saying that you can do a rather easy upgrade
to a PIII motherboard. I have three tested working spares in my garage.
You could then use a pair of Slot 1 CPU's as high as 600M.
Unfortunately, your machine now uses PC66 ECC SDRAM (851M of PC66 is
actually quite an impressive amount, I have never acquired PC66 sticks
higher than 64M...you must have a couple of 128's). The new motherboard
will require PC100 ECC...to a maximum of 4G (8x512M). Still, faster and
faster.

1. what do I need to download and how do I
need to run it to update the cmos in the box?

2. how do I get the smart start to work properly?

I'll take these two at the same time. You downloaded an ISO image of
(hopefully) SmartStart 5.50. You need to burn this onto a blank CD
using THE SLOWEST POSSIBLE BURN SPEED. Don't ask us WHY this is
necessary, we just know that it works. When you get this bootable disk
properly burned, you can boot to it and run the System Update
utility...if it says that your bios is up to date, then it is. If you
get the faster motherboard (that I mentioned above) then 5.50 may have
a newer bios for you.

3. how many and what size scsi drives do I need
to get to load up the box to its' largest size
using both pri/sec scsi connectors from the
motherboard?

4. what configurations are supported by the scsi
controller on the motherboard (jbod or raid)?

Again, two questions at once. Your "onboard" SCSI connections (you have
two) will NOT handle RAID of any kind. You will need to get a PCI RAID
card to accomplish this (and I HIGHLY recommend that you do)...I have a
box full of them. Your onboard connectors will only recognize your hard
drives as individual devices. You can (I am pretty sure) load in a
maximum of ten 36.4G drives...if you can find them. You will find that
drives, in the sleds, come in two sizes...thin and thick. You can only
hold a total of six of the "thicker" drives, but it is easier and
cheaper to find 36.4 drives in the thicker format. If you can find the
thin 36.4 drives, it is possible to have a single RAID0 partition of
364G....that is the absolute maximum (as far as I know..I could be
wrong).

5. if something is wrong with the hardware how do
I determine what it is?

Major hardware problems will be evident during boot up...either through
a "failure to boot up" or through messages displayed on the boot
screen. If you get through the boot up, you should be good to go (as
far as OS loading goes).

thanks for any feedback,
charles......

My pleasure. You can safely expect our resident guru, LC, to sound in
with some extra advise. If his recommedations conflict with my own,
please follow his. I just happen to have a lot of "3000 specific"
experience...he is the "all things Compaq" man.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old September 10th 06, 02:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

ps.com...

***** charles wrote:
[...]

Solid answers from Mr Alsip, but there is one point of clarification I would
like to add: When looking to perform firmware/SystemROM updates, I suggest
using the HP Firmware Maintenace CD instead of SmartStart. It will have the
newest microcode for your machine. You should be able to update the
SystemROM (bios), Array controller firmeware (when you get a Smart Array
controller), and model-specific Hard Drive firmware as well. I runs from a
bootable CD by way of a micro-linux shell and a nice weblike GUI. It makes
performing the updates nice and easy.

One other point is that the systemboard you have has12 slots: 4 onboard, and
8 in an expansion card. You "should" be able to get up to 3GB of ram in that
board, when you use a PII/333Mhz chip. Also, the memory is EDO EDD, not PC66
SDRAM. I would definitely follow Jeffreys advice and persue updating the
systemboard so that you can get P3 coppermine support, as these CPU's are
far superior in performance, and the PC100 Reg ECC SDRAM that the board
supports is better and faster too.

After you get your hardware and firmware all worked out, boot from SS5.50
(as Jeffrey suggested), do a system erase, and start from scratch. Its
really the best way to go.

Also, Jeffrey or Jez can offer more insightful assistance when it comes to
setting up and running linux on that machine.

Let us know if you have other questions.

- LC

PS ... Jeffrey, check your GMAIL ...

Old September 10th 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Also, the memory is EDO EDD, not PC66 SDRAM.

Uhm, make that ECC, not EDD ... and its buffered.

oops

Old September 10th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Nut Cracker wrote:

Also, the memory is EDO EDD, not PC66 SDRAM.

Uhm, make that ECC, not EDD ... and its buffered.

oops

You had me scared there, for a minute. I had never heard of EDD (except
for that talking horse).

To get the full 3G, using this RAM, you have to (somehow) acquire 12
256M sticks. I have never been in the same room with a EDO of this
size. You just can't find them! I looked again on ebay, before posting
here, and could not find a single stick listed. IF you could find them,
I strongly suspect that you would have to pay twice the price of a
better PC100 stick of the same size.

The difficulty of finding these big sticks (of slower speed and poorer
performance) is reason enough to get that motherboard upgrade that we
have already talked about. As I said, I have three of these boards in
the garage...you will be surprised at how cheaply you can get one. I am
certain I have a matched pair of 450M processors...and possibly some
500's. I managed to get a good supply of 256M sticks for these boards,
meaning that I have a stack of 128's sitting idle. I can populate the
board with 8 sticks giving you a total of 1G of RAM (more than your old
motherboard). Pretty good deal...new motherboard, processors and memory
for the price of a case of Budweiser (plus shipping). I also have a 2DH
RAID Array Controller that I will throw in.

Contact me, by email, if you want me to get this package together.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old September 10th 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nut Cracker wrote:

[...]

ack ! a 2DH??? why would you do that to this guy?

as for the 256M EDO ... here are some ebay links:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search

if the link trunks, just search on the following:

compaq edo 1GB

as always, its not a good idea to mix refresh speeds. I learned this the
hardway with my 6400r's

- LC

Old September 10th 06, 07:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Nut Cracker wrote:
ack ! a 2DH??? why would you do that to this guy?

Dude, I said FOR FREE! All of my 3200's are in use right now. Would a
221 be better?

as for the 256M EDO ... here are some ebay links:

It didn't occur to me to search for the 1G upgrade. I may buy a couple
of these sets myself. Perhaps I can sell my 64M sticks to some guy in
Wicker Park, for use in some kind of conceptual sculpture.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old September 10th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Nut Cracker wrote:
ack ! a 2DH??? why would you do that to this guy?

Dude, I said FOR FREE! All of my 3200's are in use right now. Would a
221 be better?

as for the 256M EDO ... here are some ebay links:

It didn't occur to me to search for the 1G upgrade. I may buy a couple
of these sets myself. Perhaps I can sell my 64M sticks to some guy in
Wicker Park, for use in some kind of conceptual sculpture.

Jeffrey Alsip

actually, no ... a 221 would not be better. However, you can take the cache
from an SA3200 and put it on a 2DH so it can have 64M (56M really) of cache.

And come to think of is, unless he upgrades his drive cage to the U2/U3
model, an SA3200 would be overshooting the systems capabilities. the 2DH is
a prefect match for the setup he has *right now*

you dont by chance have any of those 6pin power cables that power the 6 slot
u2/u3 drive cages do you? Im thinking i might upgrade the drives in the
PL800. just need to see if there is a 6pin header on the board anywhere ...
there is one on the DL380/ML370 systems. I know the PS doesnt have one, but
maybe a custom wiring job is in order.

Its already way beyond spec as it is.

- LC

Old September 11th 06, 02:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
***** charles

Hey guys, thanks for all the insight.
The group has no money for changes and the computer was donated.
I did download the SmartStart iso and I think it was version 5.5 and
it didn't do anything to the machine, no updates. After it finished
booting, it went to a prompt like Proliant..205....# which I later
figured out was a Linux prompt. Never could figure out what to do
after that. It took 180 seconds to go from "Do not Reboot" to the
command prompt. Never saw a gui.

Sometimes when trying to boot to some media (forgot whether
it was floppy or cd) it would give me an error about couldn't
find scsi controller and would hang. Never did get past that
problem either. At first thought it was a bad burn of the cd.
Downloaded second time, got the same symtoms.

I did manage to "wipe the configuration" with a floppy that
someone else made. After that I installed Debian on it with kernel
2.4.30 I think. That went ok. The machine seems to run fine just
need to clean up the boot routine error messages like error 162.
The computer is actually 40 miles from where I live and the next
time I get close to it will be Tuesday afternoon. I would like to take
a DVD player to replace the CDROM drive that is in it at the
moment. If I do this, will it boot to a DVD ISO image of Debain?

My goal is to get latest Debian stable on it 2.6 with multi-processor
support in the kernel. I stuck two nic cars in it and a 4 port usb2
pci card in it.

thanks again,
charles....

Old September 11th 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Nut Cracker wrote:
you dont by chance have any of those 6pin power cables that power the 6 slot
u2/u3 drive cages do you? Im thinking i might upgrade the drives in the
PL800. just need to see if there is a 6pin header on the board anywhere ...
there is one on the DL380/ML370 systems. I know the PS doesnt have one, but
maybe a custom wiring job is in order.

I scrapped out four 3000R's that I bought for $5 each. My goal was to
acquire the RAM and processors, but I actually kept EVERYTHING except
for the steel case shell. I have a box full of the cables that came out
of these systems...and, yes, there are several of the 6pin power
cables. You are welcome to them.

Jeffrey Alsip