Storageworks (4214) questions..

Old June 16th 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Storageworks (4214) questions..

"Rick F." wrote in message
In article , Phil wrote:

Yes, something needs to plug any space with no drive. The fans on the

rear
power supplies suck the air by the drives and exhaust through the rear.

It
is required to keep the drives cool.

Ok.. Note taken..

Another note as you look at these enclosures. There is a 4350R

enclosure,
it's a dual Bus 10-Bay Enclosure that takes ONLY 1.6 inch drives.
They are pricey and if you don't buy it with drives, best to avoid that
model. It is SCSI 3. I have a bunch of those too with all 73 gig drives.

Note taken here as well.. I've not seen any of those yet.. All i've seen

are
4314s or 4354's which I gather require dual ports on the raid array (for

the
4354s that is)

The 4200 and 4300 all have interchangeable modules and power supplies,

the
emu is the same on all but you have single or dual channel SSCI 2 or

SCSI
3. You can also get U320 modules and upgrade any of that series to

320's,
they are expensive though.

Are you saying that I could buy a 4214 enclosure today for instance use it
for a year (in a SCSI2 environment), then later, upgrade the plug-in

module
from the normal SCSI-2 to a SCSI3 version of it (from a 4314 for instance)
and assuming I plug it into a SA5300 (or equiv) get higher throughput

speeds
of the SCSI3 bus (assuming I had SCSI3 drives of course)? I'm going to

guess
that's what you mean and I can infer from that, that the backplane for a

4214
or 4314 are identical from a form factor/plug/electrical point of

view....?

Personally, I like the looks of the 4200 better, they are the G1 series
Compaq white with the handles on either side. The 4314R and 4354R are

the
new brown color matching the G2 series of Compaq. Also the 4314R's may

be
branded HP or Compaq, there are minor cosmetic differences in the two I
still have all these models in service, but the 4200's we upgraded, the
input module changed to SCSI 3. We still use a bunch of the DL380 DL580

G1's
here so that's why I like the matching 4200 white case.

If all of the above is true, perhaps I'll just keep an eye out for a 4214
so it will match my 6400r and I'll just upgrade it at a later date to the
SCSI3 speed range. MTIA!

-- Rick

Rick,
What are you wanting, do you also need drives? Size, speed. what are you
looking to spend. As soon as I get time I plan to list some of ALL the units
that have been mentioned, including some stuffed with 9, 18, and 73 Gig
drives. The 73"s will be in the 4350's (1.6" drives), that's 730 gig of
scsi3 10K drives in one box. Also have a stack of the older UE's stuffed
with 9 gig drives and a couple UE enclosures with 18 gig drives. No fiber
interfaces, all U2 that use the HD68 cable.

You understood the note correctly. The only reason I gave more detail on
these units, the first ones I bought I was rather ignorant on and got
burned. When you buy a unit get them to give part numbers of the interface
card and google it and make sure it is as described. I bought a bunch of the
4300's just for the cards just to upgrade the 4200's to scsi3. That 4200 is
just a better-looking enclosure, at least that's my opinion, but I still use
the older G1 series Compaq's.
Phil

Old June 16th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Phil wrote:

What are you wanting, do you also need drives? Size, speed. what are you
looking to spend. As soon as I get time I plan to list some of ALL the units
that have been mentioned, including some stuffed with 9, 18, and 73 Gig
drives. The 73"s will be in the 4350's (1.6" drives), that's 730 gig of
scsi3 10K drives in one box. Also have a stack of the older UE's stuffed
with 9 gig drives and a couple UE enclosures with 18 gig drives. No fiber
interfaces, all U2 that use the HD68 cable.

I'm just looking for a setup I can use for my garage hobby if you will..
I'm not looking for blinding speed or tons of capacity, although I certainly
need more than I've currently got (4x36Gb mostly in a RAID5 config) as
some of my partitions are getting a little more full than I like. I figure
if I can get a chassis (it really doesn't need to be a 42xx or 43xx series,
but I'm thinking about the future mostly at this point, such that IF I move
to a newer/bigger server, my bottleneck won't be the disks) and could go with
a UE style of enclosure which I gather would work fine with my SA3200 I've got
now. Ideally, I'm looking to spend as little as possible since we're working
on the start of a remodel and also that I'm just plain cheap! Are you
indicating that you've got these pre-built enclosures and are going to be
selling them? I think the big thing that bites me on most of these is the
shipping expense -- most of the ones being sold on Ebay are back east and
I'm on the west coast and balk at forking over $40-$60 for shipping if I
could get one locally for ~$50 w/o shipping.

You understood the note correctly. The only reason I gave more detail on
these units, the first ones I bought I was rather ignorant on and got
burned. When you buy a unit get them to give part numbers of the interface
card and google it and make sure it is as described. I bought a bunch of the
4300's just for the cards just to upgrade the 4200's to scsi3. That 4200 is
just a better-looking enclosure, at least that's my opinion, but I still use
the older G1 series Compaq's.

Cool.. Thanks for the heads up.. I've been doing just that -- some of the
vendors are very up-front and supply the part #s and of course others dont.

-- Rick