Any good deals here?

Old June 14th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Any good deals here?

I found the following ad on my local Craigslist in the Los Angeles
area and it looks like a bunch of Proliant gear and other misc. stuff
is being liquidated as part of some ISP going under. Unfortunately,
they're asking for bids on these items.. In my case, I'd have to add
gas costs to the equation since these guys are about two hours away
from me.. They've got several of Proliant 6000's which really look
like behemoths compared to my old 5500 I had -- and probably not
something I could lift myself alone.. They've also got some DL's
1850's, etc.

For me, the only thing half interesting is the storage array and I
don't think it's a Compaq product -- looks more like an IBM thing..

Anyone see anything of great interest here?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/gtw/sys/171498688.html

I might pop them a note asking about storage arrays made by compaq
just for fun..

-- Rick

Old June 14th 06, 11:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Rick F." wrote in message
[...]

I wouldnt buy any of those machines, or the disk systems .... I would buy
the 3500 series switches though.

- LC

Old June 15th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Nut Cracker wrote:

I wouldnt buy any of those machines, or the disk systems .... I would buy
the 3500 series switches though.

Thanks LC.. I appreciate the comments.. Those machines look absolutely HUGE and
I'm sure that they suck equivalent amounts of power.. Perhaps one of these 3-4'
tall older servers would be good counterweights for some sort of stomping robot
project where it tries to squish smaller "rat-sized" robots.. Fee..Fii..Foo..
Fumm.. I'm going to crush your little bum.. (8-

Just a thought!

-- Rick

Old June 15th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Rick F. wrote:

Thanks LC.. I appreciate the comments.. Those machines look absolutely HUGE and
I'm sure that they suck equivalent amounts of power.. Perhaps one of these 3-4'
tall older servers would be good counterweights for some sort of stomping robot
project where it tries to squish smaller "rat-sized" robots.. Fee..Fii..Foo..
Fumm.. I'm going to crush your little bum.. (8-

Just a thought!

-- Rick

I love those 3000's...but I got all of mine at around $20 each.

Hey, LC, the guy claims (up near the top) that MOST of this stuff comes
with "a limited lifetime guarantee". Do the ProLiants really have such
a guarantee? I can believe the Cisco stuff does, but that isn't even
close to being "most of this stuff". Please advise.

Jeff

Old June 15th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ps.com...

Rick F. wrote:

[...]

In some cases, as in compaq, limited lifetime means 5 years after its EOL'ed
(end of lifed) by the manufacturer. At the mfg discretion, they can help you
.... or not. Or, they might charge you. But, if you call up on a failed
mainboard in a 3000 thats 6 years past its EOL ... yer SOL. Will have to BUY
a replacement.

As always, its the lifetime of the product, and not YOUR lifetime ; )

Thats pretty much how it works.

The reason i wouldnt buy any of that gear is that its too damn big for me.
not much bang for the buck either. I am putting more and more systems in a
datacenter downtown, and my current pricing model charges by the U. I can
get 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, FULL racks too ... but the revenue has to justify the
additonal costs. anyway, i woudl NEVER colocate a 14U server (thats what
those 6000/7000's are) ... a 7U server is bad enough. I wont put anything
larger than 4U at the colo. Costs too much.

- LC