ZZzzzzzz

Old June 7th 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default ZZzzzzzz

Nut Cracker wrote:
naw, being a wacko right wing republican makes you a real jerk

just kidding ... ; )

- LC

I think I might have been passed over for city jobs because of my
politics. Perhaps there is a class action suit that I can join.

Jeff

Old June 7th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nut Cracker wrote:
naw, being a wacko right wing republican makes you a real jerk

just kidding ... ; )

- LC

I think I might have been passed over for city jobs because of my
politics. Perhaps there is a class action suit that I can join.

Jeff

NOW yer sounding like a democrat ....

Old June 7th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Nut Cracker wrote:
NOW yer sounding like a democrat ....

OH MY GOD! You're right! A self respecting Republican can't even jump
on the Daley scandal without losing his "republicanness".

Really quite a party you back there, LC. I'm sure they have done
amazing things to help your lifestyle. You know...buying gym shoes for
kids instead of fixing pot-holes (and other important things).

Old June 7th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article . com, Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

Actually, I may be older than you think. One of my jobs (in the late
80's) was at a Glass Factory. The glass would come from the ovens in a
12' wide ribbon. It passed under a series of sensors that looked for
bubbles (impurities) and spit a dot of blue paint on those that were
found. This detection system was run by a full sized PDP-11! The
machine was the size of a phone booth, and had all of the computing
power of a Commodore 64. The interface was a teletype terminal. Those
were the days.

Ahh.. Yes... The good'ol days.. My first PDP was a rack mounted PDP11/23
if I recall and to make it boot you had to press a sequence of keys on
the front panel otherwise it would just sit there in the firmware waiting.

We had some test sets that ran PDP-11/44s and I still remember the DEC
guy coming out to fix them every few months pulling apart the chassis
and getting out his wire-wrap tools to fix some jumper that wasn't
doing its job anymore.. What a fragile piece of equipment.. Those and
the RK07 disks in full sized cabinets that held a whopping 5Mb of
storage (if I recall).. I remember countless times that a head would
crash taking out the disk pack and someone else would come along with
bothing to read the note saying "DONT USE THIS" and put another good
disk pack in the drive only to ruin it as well with nice big gouge
marks on its platters.

I rent a truck for these pickups. My work with the charity makes it
VERY easy for me to recover such expenses. The garage is pretty much
full of things that I have not found the strength to part with. But I
will dispose of clearly useless items...for instance, I have stopped
taking 15" monitors (unless they are Compaq branded) and, yes, those
DecWriters (they actually had four the last time) are going straight to
the recycler.

Might I ask what sort of recycler you've got that takes these willy nilly
without them being in their composite parts (e.g. steel vs. aluminum,etc)?
Just curious mostly..

-- Rick

Old June 8th 06, 01:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Rick F. wrote:
Ahh.. Yes... The good'ol days.. My first PDP was a rack mounted PDP11/23
if I recall and to make it boot you had to press a sequence of keys on
the front panel otherwise it would just sit there in the firmware waiting.

We had some test sets that ran PDP-11/44s and I still remember the DEC
guy coming out to fix them every few months pulling apart the chassis
and getting out his wire-wrap tools to fix some jumper that wasn't
doing its job anymore.. What a fragile piece of equipment.. Those and
the RK07 disks in full sized cabinets that held a whopping 5Mb of
storage (if I recall).. I remember countless times that a head would
crash taking out the disk pack and someone else would come along with
bothing to read the note saying "DONT USE THIS" and put another good
disk pack in the drive only to ruin it as well with nice big gouge
marks on its platters.

The PDP-11 that I worked on had 64K of ram that resided on eight
boards...each one was the size and shape of the laptop I am typing on
right now.

I rent a truck for these pickups. My work with the charity makes it
VERY easy for me to recover such expenses. The garage is pretty much
full of things that I have not found the strength to part with. But I
will dispose of clearly useless items...for instance, I have stopped
taking 15" monitors (unless they are Compaq branded) and, yes, those
DecWriters (they actually had four the last time) are going straight to
the recycler.

Might I ask what sort of recycler you've got that takes these willy nilly
without them being in their composite parts (e.g. steel vs. aluminum,etc)?
Just curious mostly..

-- Rick

The recycler that I use is called Echelon. Here is an example of one of
their postings (note how cool they are with the picture taking):

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPAQ-PROLIANT-...cmdZ ViewItem

They have some way of rendering old equipment down to it's basic
elements, giving them (among other things) a baby-food jar full of
gold. Regardless of how they do it, they are ALWAYS real happy to see
me.

Jeff

Old June 8th 06, 01:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Rick F. wrote:

Jeff --

I checked the SCSI connections on my 6400R and the newly arrived 20/40 Tape
drive and found that they are indeed different. I believe the 6400r has the
68 pin (I didn't count) connector that measures approx. 2" from end-to-end,
but the tape drive has what is labled "SCSI SE" and has a smaller connector
that I believe looks like the 50 pin (non-centronics) style connector
that has little latch fingers on each end.. I believe it looks like picture
#3 (from the top) on the page below :

http://www.public.asu.edu/~kxglw/scs...-pictures.html

Anyway, if I'm doing my homework properly, I think I need a SCSI-3 to SCSI2
cable (male-to-male)..

Let me know if that sounds reasonable -- also -- with this setup, do I need
a terminator or does the innards usually provide that on one of these or is
there some specific thing to look out for? TIA!

Old June 8th 06, 01:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Ahhh, the mini-50. Its SCSI-2. I dont know if I have a 68pin to mini-50 ...
i know i have a mini-50 to Centronics, tho.

Old June 8th 06, 02:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article .com, Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

They have some way of rendering old equipment down to it's basic
elements, giving them (among other things) a baby-food jar full of
gold. Regardless of how they do it, they are ALWAYS real happy to see
me.

Very cool.. I'm sure I must have some sort of place like that around here,
but it might take a bit of doing to locate it.. Hmm...

Old June 8th 06, 02:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Nut Cracker wrote:
Ahhh, the mini-50. Its SCSI-2. I dont know if I have a 68pin to mini-50 ...
i know i have a mini-50 to Centronics, tho.

Well.. If nothing else pans out, I did find a vendor up in the Sacramento
area that sells those cables for ~$20-$30 depending on length, quality, etc.

Any ideas on whether a terminator is needed (active or passive)?

TIA!

Old June 8th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Rick F." wrote in message
In article , Nut Cracker
wrote:
Ahhh, the mini-50. Its SCSI-2. I dont know if I have a 68pin to mini-50
i know i have a mini-50 to Centronics, tho.

Well.. If nothing else pans out, I did find a vendor up in the Sacramento
area that sells those cables for ~$20-$30 depending on length, quality,
etc.

Any ideas on whether a terminator is needed (active or passive)?

TIA!

Seriously ... unless that drive is daisey chained to another drive ... it
should auto-terminate.