ZZzzzzzz

Old June 6th 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default ZZzzzzzz

This group has been a little sleepy lately ...

anyone doing something worth discussing ?

- LC

Old June 6th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Nut Cracker wrote:
This group has been a little sleepy lately ...

anyone doing something worth discussing ?

- LC

Not much happening here. I am picking up a large truckload of surplus
equipment on Friday. The load is supposed to contain some ProLiant
DL's, a box full of assorted Cisco items and a couple of 48" racks. The
racks are, of course, hard to sell...though, from the description, they
seem to be complete: both sides and front an back panels are present as
well as the power center and fans. You want one?

Old June 7th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Nut Cracker wrote:
more interested in the DL gear ... I dont have the space for a 42U rack ...

- LC

I can understand that! I have a two car garage that I have not been
able to get a "car" into in three years!

Friday night I will be able to email you a more precise inventory. This
particular company has made some kind of deal with Dell, which resulted
in their scrapping out every Compaq Server that they have. I was lead
to believe that several of the systems are less than two years old.
Keep the fingers crossed. You may recall, from our past converstions,
that I seem to have a knack for finding these deals. All of this
equipment is free for the hauling, and at that price we may end up with
some cool aquisitions here. You will love Lake County in the summer
time.

On an off topic note, this company seems to have standardized on IBM
Netvista workstations. Last summer I got eight systems that were PIII
1G or better. I expect to be picking up a pile of P4 workstations this
time...at the same price that I mentioned above.

See if you can find a buddy who might like one of the racks...otherwise
my lack of space might compel me to turn them in as scrap steel. I will
pull out the PDU's of course, but I won't have room for that much
hollow metal. I will also rip off any of those metal Compaq Logos that
they have on the front door (remember who you are talking to, here).

Also, any of you "non-Chicago area" people who might be following this
thread: there may be mounting hardware and slide-rails available here.
I won't know that until Friday, but this COULD be a source for rack
hardware that you are missing.

Jeff

Old June 7th 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article .com, Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

Also, any of you "non-Chicago area" people who might be following this
thread: there may be mounting hardware and slide-rails available here.
I won't know that until Friday, but this COULD be a source for rack
hardware that you are missing.

Thanks for keeping the rest of us in on this.. Let me know if you have a
spare SCSI cable that I could use to connect between my 6400R and my newly
arrived 20/40Gb Compaq DLT 4000 external tape drive I got yesterday in
the mail from an ebay vendor for $11.67 (cost twice that to ship it
from Florida).. I've yet to open the box, but I'm of the belief that
this thing takes a 68pin connector which can then plug into one of the
(68 pin) SCSI connectors on the back of the box (I think the one not
on the SA3200?)..

also -- if you've got a terminator, that would be cool too..

P.S. How did you stumble across this "deal"? Just curious..

Old June 7th 06, 01:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Rick F. wrote:
Thanks for keeping the rest of us in on this.. Let me know if you have a
spare SCSI cable that I could use to connect between my 6400R and my newly
arrived 20/40Gb Compaq DLT 4000 external tape drive I got yesterday in
the mail from an ebay vendor for $11.67 (cost twice that to ship it
from Florida).. I've yet to open the box, but I'm of the belief that
this thing takes a 68pin connector which can then plug into one of the
(68 pin) SCSI connectors on the back of the box (I think the one not
on the SA3200?)..

I actually have several of these cables sitting unused inside of an
empty cat-litter container. Does the tape drive have the same 68pin
connector as the one on the back of your SCSI card? I have three types
of cables. The first is the one I described above (the most common),
another has the 68pin connector on one end (for the SCSI Card) and a
Centronics connector on the other end, and the third type (the most
rare) has two mini (but still 68pin) connectors on each end. Anyway,
here is the question you must answer: Is the connector on your drive
IDENTICAL to the one on your 3200? If so, I have several of those
cables (Compaq branded) right now in lengths from 15" up to 12'.

also -- if you've got a terminator, that would be cool too..

Same question, what size connector?

P.S. How did you stumble across this "deal"? Just curious..

Jez has made fun of my charity work, and my success, therein, being due
to my love of "legacy" hardware. There are a few companies around here
that call me first when they need to get rid of legacy equipment. I
actually provide a valuable service to these people. There are always
things that neither you, nor I, nor any human being can get any use out
of (for example, they might have a half a dozen of those old
wide-carriage dot matrix printers...the ones that nobody has made
ribbons for in over a decade), well I dispose of these things PROPERLY
by making sure that they are recycled by reputable people (not just
stuffed into a landfill). So, in short, I take the good with the bad
and dispose of the bad properly. If you think about it, a company like
that would pay out the nose for a recycler to come and haul this stuff
away...but I do the work for free and get to keep any "goodies" that I
find. Hell, this might be a valuable service that YOU could perform in
your area.

Hey, I guess LC got that "conversation" going that he asked for in the
OP!

Jeff

Old June 7th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nut Cracker wrote:
[...]

I would like to see your inventory on Friday. I get my boy this weekend, so
a road trip to fill up the VW might not be doable. However, I would be happy
to put my name on any groovy items that you are willing to part with.

: )

- LC

Old June 7th 06, 02:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Nut Cracker wrote:
I would like to see your inventory on Friday. I get my boy this weekend, so
a road trip to fill up the VW might not be doable. However, I would be happy
to put my name on any groovy items that you are willing to part with.

: )

- LC

Easily done. It wouldn't hurt you any to get your urban-ass out of the
city one day in the future. I moved out three years ago and have NOT
looked back. Actually, I do miss those small restaurants that were
within two blocks walk...and this one neighborhood bar...

Anyway, I have your email. Expect, at least, a preliminary report on
Friday. Here's a bold hint: I would trade almost ANYTHING for Cubs
tickets.

Jeff

Old June 7th 06, 02:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Nut Cracker wrote:
I would like to see your inventory on Friday. I get my boy this weekend,
so
a road trip to fill up the VW might not be doable. However, I would be
happy
to put my name on any groovy items that you are willing to part with.

: )

- LC

Easily done. It wouldn't hurt you any to get your urban-ass out of the
city one day in the future. I moved out three years ago and have NOT
looked back. Actually, I do miss those small restaurants that were
within two blocks walk...and this one neighborhood bar...

Anyway, I have your email. Expect, at least, a preliminary report on
Friday. Here's a bold hint: I would trade almost ANYTHING for Cubs
tickets.

Jeff

ticket(s)? quondo es?

Old June 7th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Easily done. It wouldn't hurt you any to get your urban-ass out of the
city one day in the future. I moved out three years ago and have NOT
looked back. Actually, I do miss those small restaurants that were
within two blocks walk...and this one neighborhood bar...

I have a nice urban-ass, thank you very much ! and i love living in the
city. I have my own parking spot, and that makes ALL the difference in the
world ...

; )

- LC