Crackling Buzz

Old April 5th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Crackling Buzz

Whenever I turn up the onboard sound from Windows, I get a buzzing/crackling
sound. I updated the MB's Bios and the Realtek AC97 Drivers to no avail.
Anyone know what it could be?

Thanks

Old April 5th 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , "G. Gorman"
wrote:

Whenever I turn up the onboard sound from Windows, I get a buzzing/crackling
sound. I updated the MB's Bios and the Realtek AC97 Drivers to no avail.
Anyone know what it could be?

Thanks

What is your motherboard ?

Paul
Old April 5th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

G. Gorman wrote:

Whenever I turn up the onboard sound from Windows, I get a buzzing/crackling
sound.

Do you get a buzzing/crackling sound when there is no signal (i.e.
volume high but nothing playing), or are you referring to signal distortion?

The former suggests a poor connection or grounding problem, while the
latter suggests a software problem (BIOS PCI latency timer setting can
cause it, for example).

P2B

Old April 5th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

You guys are fast to reply - Thanks!

The Motherboard is a P4S8X-MX

And, yes I get the buzzing sound when the volume is med-high but nothing
playing. It is louder when plugged into the front audio input than in the
rear.

Sounds like it may be the grounding problem. Any suggestions to get rid of
that? Will installing a (new) soundcard take care of it (and disabling
on-board sound)?

"P2B" wrote in message
.. .

Old April 5th 06, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

G. Gorman wrote:

You guys are fast to reply - Thanks!

The Motherboard is a P4S8X-MX

And, yes I get the buzzing sound when the volume is med-high but nothing
playing. It is louder when plugged into the front audio input than in the
rear.

There's a hint ;-)

I'd try disconnecting the front audio ports (all of them) from the
motherboard. If that fixes the rear port, you know the cables to the
front are inadequately shielded or part of a ground loop.

Sounds like it may be the grounding problem. Any suggestions to get rid of
that? Will installing a (new) soundcard take care of it (and disabling
on-board sound)?

Quite possibly, but also quite possibly not. Better to understand the
problem before throwing money at it.

Other information that might help:

What does your external audio system consist of? Is it externally
powered? From the same outlet? Have you tried headphones?

P2B

"P2B" wrote in message
.. .

Old April 5th 06, 08:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , "G. Gorman"
wrote:

You guys are fast to reply - Thanks!

The Motherboard is a P4S8X-MX

And, yes I get the buzzing sound when the volume is med-high but nothing
playing. It is louder when plugged into the front audio input than in the
rear.

Sounds like it may be the grounding problem. Any suggestions to get rid of
that? Will installing a (new) soundcard take care of it (and disabling
on-board sound)?

In the electrical standard for your country, do you have a safety
ground ? In North America, newly built homes have three prong plugs,
and the third prong is a safety ground (earth). Older homes have only
two prongs, and that can occasionally cause problems.

Computers typically have PI filters where the AC enters the power
supply. One of the side effects of the PI filter, is it dumps a
small amount of AC from the power line, into the safety ground.
If, for any reason, the connection to the safety ground is open,
the computer case can become electrified. I'm guessing there is
a potential mechanism there, to introduce "AC hum" into an audio
circuit. Especially if the computer and the stereo are on separate
AC circuits or AC wall sockets, and one of the sockets is defective
or is behaving differently than the other socket.

Also, one of the hardest things, in diagnosing audio problems, is
in the terminology used to describe the problem. Buzzing, popping,
and crackling mean different things to different people, so it is
sometimes hard to know just exactly what a person is hearing.

If you had a way to record the sound and could post it somewhere
for download, that is one way to get a good description of the
symptoms.

Paul

"P2B" wrote in message
.. .

G. Gorman wrote:

Whenever I turn up the onboard sound from Windows, I get a
buzzing/crackling sound.

Do you get a buzzing/crackling sound when there is no signal (i.e. volume
high but nothing playing), or are you referring to signal distortion?

The former suggests a poor connection or grounding problem, while the
latter suggests a software problem (BIOS PCI latency timer setting can
cause it, for example).

P2B

I updated the MB's Bios and the Realtek AC97 Drivers to no avail. Anyone
know what it could be?

Thanks

PC S-Video Out to Receiver = Horrible Buzz...Please Help? Magna Mater Nvidia Videocards 3 February 3rd 05 07:45 AM
Return of the VIA-SBLive Crackling Curse S.P. Goodman Creative Sound Blaster Cards 6 October 20th 04 10:56 PM
Crackling sounds - weird! Vin General 3 November 22nd 03 10:45 PM
Speaker Buzz regardless of volume Adam Kessel Homebuilt PC's 6 August 8th 03 03:35 AM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM