Compaq SmartStart 5.5 ISO from Compaq

Old April 10th 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Compaq SmartStart 5.5 ISO from Compaq

Hi there. I changed the drive and got a slightly different result this
time. After 3 different burns of the disk using Nero, I got the good
old 'Non system disk....' message from each of the 3 CDs on boot.

The contents of each of the CDs is as below. Do you think it could just
be a dodgy image from the Compaq/Hp site?

Do you, by any chance, know where I could get an alternative image?

Cheers for your time.

Byron.

Directory of E:\

14/02/2000 16:12 44 AUTORUN.INF
24/08/1995 13:11 1,228,800 BOOT120A.DAT
24/08/1995 13:11 1,228,800 BOOT120B.DAT
24/08/1995 13:11 1,228,800 BOOT120C.DAT
24/08/1995 13:11 1,228,800 BOOT120D.DAT
24/08/1995 13:11 1,228,800 BOOT120E.DAT
24/08/1995 13:11 1,228,800 BOOT120F.DAT
24/08/1995 13:11 1,228,800 BOOT120H.DAT
20/05/2002 17:08 1,474,560 BOOT144A.DAT
20/05/2002 17:10 1,474,560 BOOT144B.DAT
20/05/2002 17:12 1,474,560 BOOT144C.DAT
20/05/2002 17:15 1,474,560 BOOT144D.DAT
27/06/2000 12:44 1,474,560 BOOT144E.DAT
27/06/2000 12:44 1,474,560 BOOT144F.DAT
27/06/2000 12:44 1,474,560 BOOT144G.DAT
27/06/2000 12:44 1,474,560 BOOT144H.DAT
13/10/1997 10:57 2,049 BOOTCAT.BIN
06/08/2002 11:25 DIR CIMCDDET
06/08/2002 11:28 DIR CPQACU
06/08/2002 10:52 DIR CPQADU
06/08/2002 10:54 DIR CPQDIAGS
06/08/2002 11:25 DIR CPQHLP
16/07/1999 03:13 13 CPQNTSSD.1
16/07/1999 03:13 13 CPQNTSSD.2
16/07/1999 03:13 13 CPQNTSSD.3
16/07/1999 03:13 13 CPQNTSSD.4
17/04/2000 11:04 62 CPQSMST
06/08/2002 12:13 DIR CPQSUPSW
06/08/2002 10:55 DIR CR3500
06/08/2002 10:57 DIR DIAGS
06/08/2002 11:09 DIR DIFDATA
06/08/2002 11:30 DIR DSKBLDR
17/12/1999 12:01 2,048 ETMBR.DAT
06/08/2002 10:57 DIR FFIU
06/08/2002 11:29 DIR MSENT
27/08/1998 17:43 16,777,216 NWCDIDX.4CD
06/08/2002 11:28 DIR REPFLAT
06/08/2002 11:28 DIR RGT
06/08/2002 10:57 DIR ROMPAQ
06/08/2002 11:26 DIR SCOIMAGE
06/08/2002 11:29 DIR SOL1
06/08/2002 15:19 566,458 SSCD.PEZ
12/10/2001 13:39 0 SSHWSUP.TX#
02/08/2002 11:52 3,464 SSHWSUP.TXT
06/08/2002 11:26 DIR SSNT40
06/08/2002 11:26 DIR SSNT50
06/08/2002 11:27 DIR SSNW
06/08/2002 11:27 DIR SSSUP
06/08/2002 11:31 1,495,235 SSZIP.EXE
02/11/1998 16:25 889 SWORD400.INI
02/11/1998 16:25 890 SWORD720.INI
06/08/2002 11:09 DIR SYSCFG
06/08/2002 11:28 DIR UTILS
06/06/2002 17:50 25 VERSION
06/08/2002 11:09 DIR VER_INFO
06/08/2002 11:31 DIR WIN95
06/08/2002 11:31 8,617,183 WIN95.EXE
32 File(s) 47,863,695 bytes

--
Lockstock
Old April 11th 06, 12:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

lots of people have problems with the HP ISO .... I dont know what they used
to rip it, but the package I had made a while back from a good CD was Nero
5.5.x.x and i used Disk At Once and its been perfect everytime. In fact, for
some reason, I have made a dozen coasters trying to burn 5.50 for a recent
project I was working on, and had to revert back to that old version of Nero
before it would work. Boy, did that suck ...

- LC

Old April 11th 06, 01:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I have made several of these recently using EasyCD Creator Basic (the
free thing). The trick for me is all based around burn speed. I select
the lowest possible number, which with EasyCD and my particular drive
is 8x. 12x also seems to work most of the time. Any speed faster than
this results in a failure.

Heres a thought, NC, what if one of us took a known good disc and used
it to create a more MODERN iso image? Could this image then be expected
to burn at full speed?

I seem to have gotten into the habit of burning EVERY iso at the slower
speeds. Even when I got the new Fedora Core 5, the week before last, I
still burned the discs at the slow speed...just to avoid the
possibility of making new coasters.

Old April 11th 06, 10:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Hi there,

Followed your advice and bingo. Writing at x4, the slowest the drive
will allow, and it worked. At last. Cheers for the pointer.

Now lets see how far I can get from this point before I am back.

Cheers.

Lockstock

--
Lockstock
Old April 11th 06, 10:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Hi,

Got it. On the 4th attempt I used the slowest write speed that the
drive will allow and finally I have a boot CD.

Now lets see what else this out beauty throws at me.

Cheers for your help.

Lockstock.

--
Lockstock
Old April 11th 06, 11:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Lockstock wrote:
Hi there,

Followed your advice and bingo. Writing at x4, the slowest the drive
will allow, and it worked. At last. Cheers for the pointer.

My pleasure. As I said before, I have gotten used to burning ANY iso
file (that I expect to be bootable) at the slowest possible speed.

Now when I take a good 5.50 disk and attempt to COPY it onto a blank
disc, I can do so at full speed with no problem. It's just burning from
the iso that constitutes the big bottle-neck.

Jeff

Old April 20th 06, 02:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

All built and runs like a dream with 2003. Any ideas how to stop the
bios failing on no keyboard for lights-out booting?

Cheers for your help.

BT

--
Lockstock
Old April 20th 06, 05:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Lockstock" wrote in message

All built and runs like a dream with 2003. Any ideas how to stop the
bios failing on no keyboard for lights-out booting?

Cheers for your help.

BT

--
Lockstock

Actually, yes.

Run the F10 utilities, and press CTRL+A to get into the advanced menu. Then
run the SCU and edit the settings. There is an option for "headless" or
something to that effect.

However, I would suggest getting a RILOE (or RILOE II) board for your
server, as it taps into the KVM ports on the server, and gives you complete
remote control and administration over the system. Last one i bought on ebay
was $25 about 3 weeks ago.

- LC

Old April 20th 06, 06:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

However, I would suggest getting a RILOE (or RILOE II) board for your
server, as it taps into the KVM ports on the server, and gives you complete
remote control and administration over the system. Last one i bought on ebay
was $25 about 3 weeks ago.

With all of the RILOE talk, lately, I am feeling the urge to play with
one myself. Ebay does have several listed...can you tell me the part
number I need for a ProLiant 1600 or 3000?

Jeff

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM