Ancient Compaq Proliant 1850R Server

Old March 8th 06, 09:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Ancient Compaq Proliant 1850R Server

Hello all,
Awhile back the company I work for upgraded a customers servers and
we inherited their old Compaq Proliant 1850R's with PII. What I did
was cannibalize one to add to another and create a sort of sandbox for
playing with (MCSE type stuff). The problem I am having is that I can
not get into the SCSI controller to configure the drives and when I
load the OS it is only seeing one of the 3 drives (they are 9.1GB 10K
Wide Ultra-SCSI 3). I have tried to research this ad nausea and have
found references to the smart start cd's that come with these compaq
servers. I then downloaded version 7.4 from the HP website however,
this did not help me at all. I guess the newer version does not offer
much legacy support.
So, I guess, at this point I need to lean on my newsgroup buddies.
Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to find an older version of
the smart start CD's? The array controller that I have is the Compaq
Smart-2DH (revC, v4.06) if that means anything to anyone. I really
could use some assistance as the time I have dedicated to this is
****ing me off and I am inclined to just throw the damn things away.
If you need anymore info do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to
your responses.

Krubb

Old March 8th 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

You need SmartStart 5.50 to setup that box. 7.4 is for G2 and newer servers
that use Rom Based Setup Utilities (RBSU) to set things up.

download the firmware maintenance CD 7.40 and run that to update the 2DH
(4.50), the SystemROM, and the hard disk microcode.

- LC

oups.com...

Old March 8th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

The array controller that I have is the Compaq
Smart-2DH (revC, v4.06) if that means anything to anyone.

Hi,

If you want to work with this controller, get this manual:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...295469-002.pdf

....and also see:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...odel/1271.html

for drivers and firmware independently of the SS CD-ROM.

We have used this controller independently of Compaq servers on Netware
3.x, 5.x, Win2K with a lot of satisfaction (there is some support
for *nix also)

Regards,

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum
Old March 9th 06, 01:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Thanks for the response!

I actually had downloaded that at one point but when I ran it it did
not find anything for updating. I then went back and downloaded v7.2
incase it was the same thing as the SS I had which does not have any
legacy support. That did not help me either.

Do you have an idea where I can get the 5.5 SS CD? I don't think it is
on Compaq's website anymore.

Thanks again,

Krubb

Old March 9th 06, 01:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Thanks for the link to the manual. I will peruse that when I get more
time.

Your second link I had found already. Unfortunately, I did not have
any success with them. I am starting to think that there is a process
to updateing and getting into the bios that I am not aware of. Maybe
the manual explains more. Thanks for the help and if you have anymore
ideas do not hesitate to post back!!

Krubb

Old March 9th 06, 02:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"krubb" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the response!

I actually had downloaded that at one point but when I ran it it did
not find anything for updating. I then went back and downloaded v7.2
incase it was the same thing as the SS I had which does not have any
legacy support. That did not help me either.

Do you have an idea where I can get the 5.5 SS CD? I don't think it is
on Compaq's website anymore.

Thanks again,

Krubb

Yes, SS5.50 is on the HP site. go there and search on "smartstart iso
download" and you will find it.

Old March 9th 06, 02:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"krubb" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the link to the manual. I will peruse that when I get more
time.

Your second link I had found already. Unfortunately, I did not have
any success with them. I am starting to think that there is a process
to updateing and getting into the bios that I am not aware of. Maybe
the manual explains more. Thanks for the help and if you have anymore
ideas do not hesitate to post back!!

Krubb

Use the SS CD for almost everything ... its very straight forward, though if
you are used to working on desktop PC's it seem foreign at first.

- LC

Old March 9th 06, 10:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Well, thank you for the info. I did not find it by your search but
since you said it was there I kept digging and found 5.5. I am d/l as
we speak Thanks for the help and I will definately post back with
any further developments.

Krubb

Old March 9th 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Alright, I was able to get into the SS5.5 utility once. I tried to go
through and setup some things but it kept giving errors whenever it
tried to execute something. Eventually I rebooted the server and I got
the option for quick setup (F10). Went into that and it was doing its
thing until I went to exit the utility to start with the OS install...I
got another error and now when I reboot the server I get the same error
I have always gotten:

1775-Slot 4 Drive Array - Proliant Storage Encloser not responding
scsi Port 1: Check storage enclosure power switch and cables

1785-Slot 4 Drive Array Not Configured
No Drives Detected

Scanning for SCSI Devices...No SCSI Devices Detected

Press "F1" key to continue
"F10" key for system Partition Utilities

At this point it does not matter what I press because the next thing I
see is
Non System disk detected blah blah blah....

Are the SCSI drives supposed to be formated already? I am not sure at
what point I get the drivers for installing to OS (the F6 part in the
process). Thanks for the help so far.

Krubb

Old March 10th 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

there are documents on the SS CD that describe how the process works, and
how to use it.

Try starting there first and post back if you have more detailed questions.

-LC
oups.com...

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 17th 04 08:30 PM
Compaq Proliant Server problem that other guy Compaq Servers 8 April 19th 04 06:55 AM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit,Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new! TEL Intel 0 January 1st 04 06:25 PM
FS: Qty. 11 Compaq Proliant Systems $1,500 - 3000, 4500, 5500's 444UNIX Compaq Computers 0 November 3rd 03 02:29 PM
Compaq Proliant 1850R Servers (2) for Sale Aquarius2431 Compaq Computers 0 July 13th 03 09:25 PM