Compaq Part Numbers

Old January 27th 06, 07:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Compaq Part Numbers

Is there some way to use the Compaq web site to search for the specs of
a sorted item using the xxxxxx.xxx Compaq part number? If not is there
a list that can be accessed elsewhere?

For instance, if I have two memory sticks with the number 228460-001,
how would I find out their size and FSB speed without doing the obvious
trial-and-error tests?

The "Cracker of the Nut" has magically answered similar requests from
people in the past...and I refuse to believe that he has MEMORIZED
thousands of part numbers. There has got to be some type of reference
material that he is referring to. What is it? How can I get it?

Please advise.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old January 27th 06, 06:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Sorry, typo error.

228469-001

But it's not just the fact that you can look it up...tell me where you
are looking.

Old January 27th 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Lots of places ...

I usually just google the part number and see what its referring to. Also,
eBay and even, get this .... the HP website, are all good sources for
refernces to part numbers. Staggering, isnt it?

as for your query:

Provided that what you are talking about is a box ... there should be 4
pieces of memory in there. 64MB EDO ECC, total kit of 256MB. Suitable for
older PPro based systems, and PL systems that use 66Mhz EDO ECC memory
(PL5000, PL3000 (up to 333Mhz)), and others ...

- LC

oups.com...

Old January 28th 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Right you are! I think I have always underated the whole "Google
thing"...until now. Whatever Compaq part number that I enter into the
search engine gives me all the info I need.

I was under the impression that you had some "insider" catalogue, or
something. My apologies.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old January 28th 06, 03:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Incidentally, I was asking because I won this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I guess you can understand my anger at receiving two PC66 64M
sticks!!!!!!!

Jeffrey Alsip

Old January 28th 06, 02:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...
Incidentally, I was asking because I won this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I guess you can understand my anger at receiving two PC66 64M
sticks!!!!!!!

Jeffrey Alsip

I would contact the seller and request that they straighten the issue out.
they didnt list it properly and they should be willing to take
responsibility for that.

Old January 28th 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Okay, I got the refund. I truly believe that this seller meant no
malice...they just mistook the parts. I should have probably looked
closer. I wonder if 512M PC66 EDO sticks really exist.

Old January 28th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there some way to use the Compaq web site to search for the specs of
a sorted item using the xxxxxx.xxx Compaq part number? If not is there
a list that can be accessed elsewhere?

Each part has a Spare number and an Assembly number, and may also have an
Order number. Memory is notoriously difficult to identify.

This is what Compaq did:
- You search through Quickfind for the server model you've got and see if
the part is listed for that server. If you were nice to them, compaq would
send you a new Quickfind CD every quarter or so.
- You search through EDB (Compaq's imternal Engineering database) and see
if the thing is recognised. EDB is a dark art, and is the "last resort".
- Compaq did not publish part numbers, as you were supposed to order
"order" numbered parts.
- Spart parts are only for dispatch as spares for repair, and assembly
numbers are to do with suppliers.
- It is not infrequent to see an assembly number on a memory stick instead
of a spare number.

I have found Comapq memory has always been notoriously EASY to identify.
Especially since the increase in capacity steps evenly with the part
numbers. For example, 228469 is 64M, 228470 is 128M, 228471 is 256M. The
differences between the -001 and -B21 numbering schemes are the difference
betwen spare part numbers, and Option part numbers. For some reason, the
option parts were always very expensive.

For instance, if I have two memory sticks with the number 228460-001,
how would I find out their size and FSB speed without doing the obvious
trial-and-error tests?

Wrong question. Call compaq (HP) and say "will DIMM with reference
xxxxxx-0x1 work in server with serial# NNNNNNNNNNNN ?

you "could" do it that way, i suppose.

The "Cracker of the Nut" has magically answered similar requests from
people in the past...and I refuse to believe that he has MEMORIZED
thousands of part numbers. There has got to be some type of reference
material that he is referring to. What is it? How can I get it?

I recon he's just a nice guy who has developed an (un)healthy obsession
with Compaq (HP-Intel) servers. And probably has a fair amount of hands-on
enperience as well.

If you only knew the truth ...

Old January 28th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Gee, thanks for taking me to "school" there, Jez.

Aren't you the guy who urged us all to throw our Compaqs onto a trash
heap? Yeah, I just checked..it WAS you.

You seem to have developped an unhealthy tendency to be condescending.
But I will admit that this message board (and indeed the WHOLE WORLD)
is a better and brighter place since you graced us with your presence.

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 April 1st 05 04:05 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 February 27th 05 01:56 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 13th 04 03:37 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM