8i848-PM

Old November 9th 05, 05:20 PM
Doughboy

Default 8i848-PM

I've just bought a second-hand Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo P which has a
Gigabyte 8i848-PM motherboard. I can't find any reference to this
board on Gigabyte's website, so I was wondering if anyone knows if
it's identical to any of the following that are listed:

8i848P (rev 1.x)
8i848P (rev 2.x)
8i848P775-G
8i848P-G
8i848P-L

The manual I downloadexd for the P-G states:

Due to chipset (Intel 875P/865G/865PE/848P) architecture limitation, a
FSB 800 Pentium 4 processor will support DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 memory
module. A FSB 533 Pentium 4 processor will support DDR333 and DDR266
memory module. A FSB 400 Pentium 4 processor will only support DDR 266
memory module.

As I've got a 2.8Ghz Northwood with FSB 400 does this mean that I can
only use DDR266 (PC2100) or rather, as I suspect, that faster RAM will
only run at this speed? In my experience, this has always been the
case with SDRAM, and it's often cheaper to buy faster RAM than
actually required (PC3200 at the moment), but I thought I'd better
check as I've no experience with DDR RAM.

Old November 15th 05, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Doughboy wrote:
[...]

I'm just putting together a box with a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK board and a
Sempron D 325+ which has a 533MHz FSB. I'd assumed that it would be
fine with DDR400 (PC3200) RAM, but, unless something else is horribly
wrong this appears not to be the case. I'll be out tomorrow morning
looking for some DDR333 to test this theory.

jd

--

John Daragon
argv[0] limited

Old November 15th 05, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

John Daragon wrote:
Doughboy wrote:

[...]

Well, no, it seems that something else *was* going on - this 533 MHz FSB
processor on a 865G chipset is running fine with DDR400 RAM.

jd

Old November 16th 05, 01:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:37:30 +0000, John Daragon
wrote:

I'm just putting together a box with a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK board and a
Sempron D 325+ which has a 533MHz FSB. I'd assumed that it would be
fine with DDR400 (PC3200) RAM, but, unless something else is horribly
wrong this appears not to be the case. I'll be out tomorrow morning
looking for some DDR333 to test this theory.

Well, no, it seems that something else *was* going on - this 533 MHz FSB
processor on a 865G chipset is running fine with DDR400 RAM.

jd

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I thought it should be OK but it's
nice to know for sure.

Now I've just got to work out what's wrong with the NIC..

Doughboy