Linux on Proliant 2000

Old October 31st 05, 10:54 PM
Bignoel

Default Linux on Proliant 2000

Explained he
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...880a142e32d715

Good luck!

VinceV

No worries on the memory thing. I got Linux 9 and 7 up to the hardware
install stage but then it couldn't find the array.
Old October 31st 05, 10:58 PM
Bignoel

Gentoo from Stage 1 is OK if you want to take the easy road, but
Real Men Install Linux From scratch... grin
See http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

I used to program a HP9810. It had 500 steps maximum and you could store
the 'program' on a card with a metal stripe. If you stuffed up you had
to start all over again. Hmmm that was in 1973. I really don't think I
want to go back to 'the good old days'.
If you have the time,that's great, but I've got better things to do than
redesign a wheel ;-)
Old October 31st 05, 11:00 PM
VinceV

Which Array?

You may be falling prey to the array renaming gotcha....

The cpq array drivers for older devices name the devices differently at
various parts of the install.

Read this for a how-to to get the older array controller recognized:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...paq+smart.html

Old November 1st 05, 12:11 AM
Bignoel

VinceV wrote:
Which Array?

You may be falling prey to the array renaming gotcha....

The cpq array drivers for older devices name the devices differently at
various parts of the install.

Read this for a how-to to get the older array controller recognized:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...paq+smart.html

Thanks for this. I'm having trouble with the live CD though, it won't
get past the boot procedure without some mem= item. Do you know the
syntax needed to force it to use the 512Mb installed.

Old November 1st 05, 12:21 AM
VinceV

Try

gentoo-nofb memmap=exactmap memmap=640k@0 memmap=511M@1M

Old November 1st 05, 04:19 AM
Jeffrey Alsip

Real Men Install Linux From scratch

Is disk space REALLY precious anymore? How do I know that installing
applications and utilities that I don't use TODAY, won't be used
TOMORROW? I can not, honestly, remember having to delete anything just
to get disk space for something else...at least not since the Windows
for Workgroups days

Can we really admire the person who prides himself on running a
firewall that exists on a single floppy...or wonder why the hell he
can't buy a 10G drive for $0.99?!?! Like I am going to try to save a
single dollar on something so vitally important!

I know I sing the praises of Fedora Core, maybe too much, but I almost
always install everything on all four disks...and, by God, I ALWAYS
have more than enough disk left over. For me to build a unique Linux
system tailored to every individual system that I encounter would just
be a straight-up waste of time and effort.

Like Bignoel implied...the wheel turns, the engineering is done.

Old November 1st 05, 06:30 AM
Bignoel

VinceV wrote:
Try

gentoo-nofb memmap=exactmap memmap=640k@0 memmap=511M@1M

Ran
gentoo nofb mem=exactmap mem=640K@0 mem=511M@1M
loaded up to the screen resolution part, said it was loading the kernal
and just sat there...

Any ideas?

Old November 1st 05, 07:20 AM
Guy Macon

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote

Real Men Install Linux From scratch: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Is disk space REALLY precious anymore? How do I know that installing
applications and utilities that I don't use TODAY, won't be used
TOMORROW? I can not, honestly, remember having to delete anything just
to get disk space for something else...at least not since the Windows
for Workgroups days

You might want to consider *asking* why someone might wish to go with
LFS rather than *assuming* that the answer is disk space and then
attacking the straw man you set up.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ says:

Why would I want an LFS system?

Many wonder why they should go through the hassle of building a
Linux system from scratch when they could just download an
existing Linux distribution. However, there are several benefits
of building LFS. Consider the following:

LFS teaches people how a Linux system works internally
Building LFS teaches you about all that makes Linux tick, how
things work together and depend on each other. And most
importantly, how to customize it to your own tastes and needs.

Can we really admire the person who prides himself on running a
firewall that exists on a single floppy...or wonder why the hell he
can't buy a 10G drive for $0.99?!?! Like I am going to try to save a
single dollar on something so vitally important!

If an attacker manages to gain root on your hard-disk-based
firewall, he can install all manner of malicious software on it.
If an attacker manages to gain root on my floppy-based firewall,
he cannot change a single bit on the write-protected floppy, and
all his nasty work goes away at the next power cycle or reset.

If your hard-disk-based firewall has a power outage, important
files cn become corrupted. I just hit the power switch on my
floppy-based firewall when I am done for the day, knowing that
doing so won't change a single bit on the write-protected floppy,
he cannot change a single bit on the write-protected floppy.

I don't use FFS for firewalling, BTW. I use Freesco.

Old November 1st 05, 04:21 PM
VinceV

What's the last thing posted to the screen?

It could be stalled looking for the appropriate raid drivers.

Its possible that you may need to pass other parameters to get the
system started, does your 2000 have dual processors? (Remember, linux
only supports single processors with the 2000)

The Gentoo Handbook has descriptions for each of the kernels that can
be loaded and the command line parms.

Old November 1st 05, 04:39 PM
VinceV

Guy has hit it (why start with stage 1 or do LFS) pretty much on the
head....

With the Gentoo Stage 1 install you learn a ton about the inner
workings of the file system, how to add and configure disk space, how
to set up users, chroot jails, boot loaders, etc.

If you are going to run a unix system (or any system for that matter)
you need to know how it works.

I use m0n0wall as my firewall. It can be loaded from a CF card, CD,
floppy, hard disk, etc. Its freeBSD based and has one of the best web
GUI's available. Native support for multiple IP addresses on the WAN
interface. Support for wireless cards and wireless captive portals.
Its designed to run on small footprint hardware.
http://www.m0n0.ch/wall

A more sophisticated variant under development is pfsense.
http://www.pfsense.org