Linux on Proliant 2000

Old October 31st 05, 05:16 AM
Bignoel

Default Linux on Proliant 2000

hi Yall,
I know this posting has been on before but I need help.
I have a Proliant 2000 running Win XP. I want to load Linux 7 or 9 or
Solaris 10. I'd love Solaris 10 but at this stage would settle for anything.

With linux i get to the Hd formatting page and it says it can't find any
hardware to instal to. I've tried the stuff on cpqarray.com to no avail.

Any bright sparks out there who might be able to assist an old codger
get this thing running will earn valuable points in Heaven.

Bignoel
Old October 31st 05, 05:54 AM
Bignoel

I don't know about the other flavours, but I can certainly get you up
and running for Gentoo, since that's what I've been installing on my
1200, 5000, 5500 and 7000 over the past 6 weeks or so as I've been
buildling up my rack system.

OK, Starting from scratch, what do I do? Assume I'm almost a complete
idiot...
Bignoel
Old October 31st 05, 06:38 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Bear in mind ... the 2000 is an EISA bus system ... no PCI buses. I also
seem to remember that there is the issue of not having a linux driver for
the SCSI chipset that CPQ put in those old servers. There might have also
been a limitation that there was no SMP for non-PCI bus machines.

I have several of them in a storage locker downtown, but none here where I
can pop the thing open and tell you what it is. There is a recent thread in
this forum about it too (more geared towards a PL4500, but for the amount of
processors and memory they can hold, are pretty much the same).

I also offered to host a mirror of the cpqlinux.org site, but never heard
back on that.

good luck,

-= LC =-

"." wrote in message
m.au...
In article , says...

Old October 31st 05, 06:44 AM
.

In article , says...

I don't know about the other flavours, but I can certainly get you up
and running for Gentoo, since that's what I've been installing on my
1200, 5000, 5500 and 7000 over the past 6 weeks or so as I've been
buildling up my rack system.

OK, Starting from scratch, what do I do? Assume I'm almost a complete
idiot...
Bignoel

OK... first thing is to download a Gentoo Live CD from one of the
gazillions of mirrors. There are 3 ways to build the system, ranging
from what they call Stage 1 (every single line of the OS is compiled on
your box) to Stage 3 (bit of setting up but basically ready to run out
of the box).

I do all of my Gentoo builds from Stage 1 because:
a) I'm a control freak;
b) It's super cool geek factor;
c) I like watching the hard drives glow in the dark after spinning non-
stop for three days;
d) I'm a sadist;
e) All of the above.

Stage 1 is the most painstaking but gives you total control and fine-
tuning of the OS to suit the exact hardware it's built on. Stage 2 is
faster, little less fine-tuning available. Stage 3 is very quick but you
can't throw out the gherkin and just munch on the bun.

So... first thing to ask is, how much do you prefer turning the ignition
key over milling the head and seating the valves first.

Plenty of information is at
http://www.gentoo.org but I can literally
walk you through every single step through to boot-up if you like.

What Stage would you like to build from? And yes, there are tricks you
need to know with the Proliants.

I learned with lots of head-banging
Old October 31st 05, 07:23 AM
Bignoel

What Stage would you like to build from? And yes, there are tricks you
need to know with the Proliants.

I learned with lots of head-banging

Might as well go the whole hog and tweek the crap out of it.
I will download the CD stuff and get back to you asap.
Bignoel
PS Thanks for this, I don't have much hair and have even less since I've
trying to get this thing happening.
Old October 31st 05, 02:46 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

I went through, maybe, a hundred hours of trying to install Solaris 10
on one of my 3000's. Nothing seemed to work. I'm afraid that, altough
it is very nice of the Sun people to release their OS to the Open
Source community, it still lags far behind the other distros in terms
of hardware compatability.

I have had the best luck with the robust and full-featured Fedora Core
4. It installed cleanly without ever needing a "drivers disk" or any
help from me at all.

I also offered to host a mirror of the cpqlinux.org site, but never heard

back on that.

Yeah, I haven't heard from that guy in weeks. I'll try to get a hold of
him.

Jeff

Old October 31st 05, 04:11 PM
VinceV

Get thee:

http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/G...rent/stages/x8
6/stage1-x86-2005.1.tar.bz2

after you've downloaded a LiveCD and booted from it. You can simply use
Links2 from the command line.

The first thing to do is to read the Gentoo Guide. It is literally a
step by step how to to get your system up and running on Gentoo.
Here's the link to the english version in HTML
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Another great site for compaq/linux compatibility questions is here
http://www.cpqlinux.com/Linux-Installation-Guide.html

From the looks of it the Proliant 2000 is supported in single processor

mode only.

I installed Gentoo from stage one on several dual 200mhz PPRO processor
Proliant 2500s. A stage one install will take several days on slow
hardware.

One other gotcha to be aware of, Linux fails to detect more than 16meg
of ram on older Compaq hardware so you will need to force the memory.

Explained he
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...880a142e32d715

Good luck!

VinceV

Old October 31st 05, 05:34 PM
Guy Macon

.. wrote:

[...]

Gentoo from Stage 1 is OK if you want to take the easy road, but
Real Men Install Linux From scratch... grin
See http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/