memtest86 reporting memory error

Old October 6th 05, 04:48 PM
JAD

Why did you run that POS software in the first place? Were you having
problems with the machine and that's what prompted you to attempt
troubleshooting?

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

I purchased:
Athlon X64 3000+ CPU
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Radeon X550
P180 Case

From my old system I scavenged:
Antec NeoPower 480W power supply
2xWD Raptor 36.7GB
1xSeagate 400GB
4xKingston 512MB PC3200 400MHz
1xSound Blaster Audigy 2 Live
2xDVD drives

I let memtest86 run for over a dozen passes on the old system within the
last month or so after I shuffled some RAM around, so I tend to suspect
that the RAM is good, but I'm not really sure where to start
troubleshooting the new system.

I'm thinking my first step should be to try removing all but one stick,
and if that doesn't show any problems, try that one stick in each slot
and see if I can narrow it down to a slot. If not, try each piece of
RAM in the first slot and see if I can identify a piece of RAM.

Am I missing anything obvious or is that the way to go?

--
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but improperly spelled insults
merely amuse me.

Old October 6th 05, 10:28 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "JAD"
wrote:

Why did you run that POS software in the first place?

Point of sale software? Okay, bad joke..

But seriously, why not? -- I don't know about you, but I consider it a
problem if my RAM is returning different bytes then my system is
storing. If nothing else, it makes debugging software a bitch.

Were you having
problems with the machine and that's what prompted you to attempt
troubleshooting?

It's one of the things I usually do after building a new machine, part
of an informal "stress test" of sorts. No specific problems that I can
attribute to RAM, although I have had a couple lockups (which have gone
away after a BIOS upgrade)

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old October 6th 05, 10:28 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "Richard Dower"
wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
news
In message "Richard Dower"
wrote:

I'd also suggest using the latest 1.65 version of Memtest86+

http://www.memtest86.com/ has 3.2 as the latest -- Am I misunderstanding
something?

Yes, there is a much more recent version, http://www.memtest.org/

Memtest86+ is based on Memtest86 but more current and adds more features and
compatiability.

Ahh, I should have realized the plus meant something and wasn't just a
typo Downloading now...

Thanks!

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old October 6th 05, 11:18 PM
Homer J. Simpson

I would suggest using manual memory settings.

You haven't identified what CPU core you have. If you have a Venice core
CPU it uses an improved integrated memory controller on the CPU die that
will allow all 4 DIMMs to run at 400MHz, although you may have to reduce the
Command Rate to 2T to achieve stability.

Older AMD Athlon 64 CPU cores' (e.g. Newcastle, Winchester) memory
controllers required underclocking the RAM to 333MHz if all four RAM slots
were being used.

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message spodosaurus
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message spodosaurus
wrote:

Could be the new motherboard doesn't play nicely with your particular
RAM modules or the board could just be defective. That's happened to me
once in the last year where any known good RAM I put in a new board
tested bad. Swapped the board and all was well.

Swapping the board will be tough, I picked up the last one in stock, and
I'm rather impatient when it comes to new toys

Did you swap with the same model? In other words, was it a bad board,
or should I be expecting to change to a different brand or something?

If that model of board doesn't like your RAM, then yes, be expecting to
change brands. Also, if you got the last one in stock, you don't have
much choice, do you? You've set all the BIOS settings for the DRAM to
the most conservative ones prior to testing, right?

My second choice was almost identical, but doesn't have DPS or 802.11b/g
(which is just a PCI card, but it's still a nice freebie), but it's
exactly the same brand, chipset, physical layout, everything, so it
might not be any better.

I haven't changed the RAM settings at all, everything is left at the
BIOS defaults, except that I disabled some of the onboard peripherals
that I don't use.

I might play around with the RAM settings and see if that makes a
difference. I don't overclock, so I'm not really well versed (although
I've read enough that I know most of the terms and have a general idea
of what they mean, I just don't have much personal experience)

--
do not creep a coconut
-- NANAE

Old October 7th 05, 12:11 AM
JAD

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
news
In message "JAD"
wrote:

Why did you run that POS software in the first place?

Point of sale software? Okay, bad joke..

But seriously, why not? -- I don't know about you, but I consider it a
problem if my RAM is returning different bytes then my system is
storing. If nothing else, it makes debugging software a bitch.

Were you having
problems with the machine and that's what prompted you to attempt
troubleshooting?

It's one of the things I usually do after building a new machine, part
of an informal "stress test" of sorts. No specific problems that I can
attribute to RAM, although I have had a couple lockups (which have gone
away after a BIOS upgrade)

I C. Interesting test case this will be. Please follow up with the out
come.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Old October 7th 05, 12:40 AM
Shep©

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:37:56 -0600 If God exists he'll get DevilsPGD
writing this :

I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

If this is a new system and you have bought good equipment why did you
run a software,"Memory" tester?

Have you built many systems?

Have you bought the correct type of devices for your system/mother
board?

Have you researched any known incompatibilities for the mother board?

Have you correctly set the BIOS parameters for the devices you are
using?

Have you correctly positioned your PCI devices for the motherboard.

The above is just a starter.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Old October 7th 05, 01:42 AM
larry moe 'n curly

JAD wrote:
"DevilsPGD" wrote in message

I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

Why did you run that POS software in the first place?

Why do you keep criticizing memory test programs without showing any
proof to justify your opinion? Even SIMMtester.com, a maker of memory
testing machiens, says that MemTest86 is very good.

Old October 7th 05, 05:56 PM
TonyC

"JAD" wrote in message
Why did you run that POS software in the first place? Were you having
problems with the machine and that's what prompted you to attempt
troubleshooting?

What is your problem with MemTest? DFI seem to think it's good enough to
have in the BIOS of nForce4 boards.

Old October 7th 05, 06:24 PM
Norm De Plume

TonyC wrote:
"JAD" wrote in message
..

..
Why did you run that POS software in the first place? Were you having
problems with the machine and that's what prompted you to attempt
troubleshooting?

What is your problem with MemTest? DFI seem to think it's good enough to
have in the BIOS of nForce4 boards.

What does JAD put in the BIOSes he/she/it writes?

Old October 8th 05, 10:41 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "JAD"
wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
news
In message "JAD"
wrote:

Why did you run that POS software in the first place?

Point of sale software? Okay, bad joke..

But seriously, why not? -- I don't know about you, but I consider it a
problem if my RAM is returning different bytes then my system is
storing. If nothing else, it makes debugging software a bitch.

Were you having
problems with the machine and that's what prompted you to attempt
troubleshooting?

It's one of the things I usually do after building a new machine, part
of an informal "stress test" of sorts. No specific problems that I can
attribute to RAM, although I have had a couple lockups (which have gone
away after a BIOS upgrade)

I C. Interesting test case this will be. Please follow up with the out
come.

So, was I having problems with the machine? As it turns out, a number
of problems fixed themselves when I managed to tweak things enough that
memtest86+ stopped reporting errors.

Among them:

-The system would go to a black screen after shutting down rather then
rebooting when requested.
-The system would not come out of Standby.
-DLL errors whenever launching certain network-related applications
(dig, host, psservice, and a few others)
-Lockups when attempting to ipconfig/release (but /renew was fine if I
didn't /release first)
-Bluescreen when attempting to launch a recovery console from boot CD.
-Bluescreen when attempting to boot a known-good BartPE CD.

All of these issues disappeared once I fixed the memory issue. When I
reverted to my previous settings, the issues returned, so yes, they were
memory related, and yes, memtest86+ did point me in the right direction
since I was initially assuming a driver incompatibility.

--
I left the womb for this?