memtest86 reporting memory error

Old October 6th 05, 11:37 AM
DevilsPGD

Default memtest86 reporting memory error

I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

I purchased:
Athlon X64 3000+ CPU
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Radeon X550
P180 Case

From my old system I scavenged:
Antec NeoPower 480W power supply
2xWD Raptor 36.7GB
1xSeagate 400GB
4xKingston 512MB PC3200 400MHz
1xSound Blaster Audigy 2 Live
2xDVD drives

I let memtest86 run for over a dozen passes on the old system within the
last month or so after I shuffled some RAM around, so I tend to suspect
that the RAM is good, but I'm not really sure where to start
troubleshooting the new system.

I'm thinking my first step should be to try removing all but one stick,
and if that doesn't show any problems, try that one stick in each slot
and see if I can narrow it down to a slot. If not, try each piece of
RAM in the first slot and see if I can identify a piece of RAM.

Am I missing anything obvious or is that the way to go?

--
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but improperly spelled insults
merely amuse me.
Old October 6th 05, 11:50 AM
spodosaurus

DevilsPGD wrote:
I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

I purchased:
Athlon X64 3000+ CPU
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Radeon X550
P180 Case

From my old system I scavenged:
Antec NeoPower 480W power supply
2xWD Raptor 36.7GB
1xSeagate 400GB
4xKingston 512MB PC3200 400MHz
1xSound Blaster Audigy 2 Live
2xDVD drives

I let memtest86 run for over a dozen passes on the old system within the
last month or so after I shuffled some RAM around, so I tend to suspect
that the RAM is good, but I'm not really sure where to start
troubleshooting the new system.

I'm thinking my first step should be to try removing all but one stick,
and if that doesn't show any problems, try that one stick in each slot
and see if I can narrow it down to a slot. If not, try each piece of
RAM in the first slot and see if I can identify a piece of RAM.

Am I missing anything obvious or is that the way to go?

Could be the new motherboard doesn't play nicely with your particular
RAM modules or the board could just be defective. That's happened to me
once in the last year where any known good RAM I put in a new board
tested bad. Swapped the board and all was well.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old October 6th 05, 01:03 PM
DevilsPGD

In message spodosaurus
wrote:

Could be the new motherboard doesn't play nicely with your particular
RAM modules or the board could just be defective. That's happened to me
once in the last year where any known good RAM I put in a new board
tested bad. Swapped the board and all was well.

Swapping the board will be tough, I picked up the last one in stock, and
I'm rather impatient when it comes to new toys

Did you swap with the same model? In other words, was it a bad board,
or should I be expecting to change to a different brand or something?

I was originally eyeballing a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI, it's almost
identical to the Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI that I got, but the GA-K8NXP-SLI
has DPS and a wireless LAN card for the same price. I haven't been able
to find much information about whether or not I should care about DPS,
and although I'm not using the wireless LAN card right now, it's a nice
freebie.

--
Quoting one is plagiarism.
Quoting many is research.

Old October 6th 05, 01:10 PM
spodosaurus

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message spodosaurus
wrote:

Could be the new motherboard doesn't play nicely with your particular
RAM modules or the board could just be defective. That's happened to me
once in the last year where any known good RAM I put in a new board
tested bad. Swapped the board and all was well.

Swapping the board will be tough, I picked up the last one in stock, and
I'm rather impatient when it comes to new toys

Did you swap with the same model? In other words, was it a bad board,
or should I be expecting to change to a different brand or something?

If that model of board doesn't like your RAM, then yes, be expecting to
change brands. Also, if you got the last one in stock, you don't have
much choice, do you? You've set all the BIOS settings for the DRAM to
the most conservative ones prior to testing, right?

Old October 6th 05, 02:04 PM
larry moe 'n curly

DevilsPGD wrote:

I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

I purchased:
Athlon X64 3000+ CPU
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Radeon X550
P180 Case

From my old system I scavenged:
Antec NeoPower 480W power supply
2xWD Raptor 36.7GB
1xSeagate 400GB
4xKingston 512MB PC3200 400MHz
1xSound Blaster Audigy 2 Live
2xDVD drives

I let memtest86 run for over a dozen passes on the old system within the
last month or so after I shuffled some RAM around, so I tend to suspect
that the RAM is good,

I'm thinking my first step should be to try removing all but one stick,
and if that doesn't show any problems, try that one stick in each slot
and see if I can narrow it down to a slot.

What brand of chips are on those Kingston modules? All of my DDR
Kingston ValueRAM modules have no-name chips on them, and I've found
lots of ValueRam to be defective or incompatible with certain mobos,
and few can be overclocked reliably at all. Also it's taken as long as
4-5 hours for MemTest86 to find some errors, and I test with Gold
Memory as well because it's usually a lot faster at detecting errors.
But use both diagnostics because my last Kingston, a 512M PC3200,
passed Gold for hours but consistently failed MemTest86 in a few
minutes.

Old October 6th 05, 02:29 PM
DevilsPGD

In message .com
"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

What brand of chips are on those Kingston modules? All of my DDR
Kingston ValueRAM modules have no-name chips on them, and I've found
lots of ValueRam to be defective or incompatible with certain mobos,
and few can be overclocked reliably at all. Also it's taken as long as
4-5 hours for MemTest86 to find some errors, and I test with Gold
Memory as well because it's usually a lot faster at detecting errors.
But use both diagnostics because my last Kingston, a 512M PC3200,
passed Gold for hours but consistently failed MemTest86 in a few
minutes.

I'm using the HyperX modules, which have heatsinks and I can't really
view the chips easily.

However, it's worth noting that they've been up for many months in my
old P4 system and have had memtest86 run many times without problems.

--
do not creep a coconut
-- NANAE
Old October 6th 05, 02:29 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "Richard Dower"
wrote:

I'd also suggest using the latest 1.65 version of Memtest86+

http://www.memtest86.com/ has 3.2 as the latest -- Am I misunderstanding
something?

--
do not creep a coconut
-- NANAE
Old October 6th 05, 02:29 PM
DevilsPGD

In message spodosaurus
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message spodosaurus
wrote:

Could be the new motherboard doesn't play nicely with your particular
RAM modules or the board could just be defective. That's happened to me
once in the last year where any known good RAM I put in a new board
tested bad. Swapped the board and all was well.

Swapping the board will be tough, I picked up the last one in stock, and
I'm rather impatient when it comes to new toys

Did you swap with the same model? In other words, was it a bad board,
or should I be expecting to change to a different brand or something?

If that model of board doesn't like your RAM, then yes, be expecting to
change brands. Also, if you got the last one in stock, you don't have
much choice, do you? You've set all the BIOS settings for the DRAM to
the most conservative ones prior to testing, right?

My second choice was almost identical, but doesn't have DPS or 802.11b/g
(which is just a PCI card, but it's still a nice freebie), but it's
exactly the same brand, chipset, physical layout, everything, so it
might not be any better.

I haven't changed the RAM settings at all, everything is left at the
BIOS defaults, except that I disabled some of the onboard peripherals
that I don't use.

I might play around with the RAM settings and see if that makes a
difference. I don't overclock, so I'm not really well versed (although
I've read enough that I know most of the terms and have a general idea
of what they mean, I just don't have much personal experience)

--
do not creep a coconut
-- NANAE
Old October 6th 05, 03:19 PM
Richard Dower

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
news
In message "Richard Dower"
wrote:

I'd also suggest using the latest 1.65 version of Memtest86+

http://www.memtest86.com/ has 3.2 as the latest -- Am I misunderstanding
something?

Yes, there is a much more recent version, http://www.memtest.org/

Memtest86+ is based on Memtest86 but more current and adds more features and
compatiability.