Compaq Proliant DL380

Old October 10th 05, 05:14 PM

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
I have SmartStart 5.5 on a CD.

I will have (someone else is doing this for me and will be ready in 2
hours) Firmware Maintenance version 7.2 on CD.

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD.

I will have (someone else is doing this for me and will be ready in 2
hours) cp005402.exe on a FAT floppy.

===

Once I have all of the above:

Is this the correct sequence that I need to follow:

1) Boot the server using the Firmware Maintenance V7.2 CD and hopefully
it will update everything?

2) Do I boot using (a) SmartStart 5.5 CD OR (b) Using the Windows 2000
Advanced Server CD?

I understand that when I do use the Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD I
will have to press F6 to select a third party SCSI controller.

===

About Batteries:

If I were to ignore the Accellerator battery error at the moment, will
this harm anything OR interfere with the setup?

Once the computer is up and running, I will buy this. As I live in the
U.K. it will take a few days to get the battery pack.

Is there any way that I can just change the batteries on this "daughter
board" rather than having to change the entire board itself?

Regards
Joshi

The batteries on the array cache are not user serviceable. Without
functional batteries, the acceleration features of the array controller, and
its caching, will not be enabled. This will result is a very noticable
performance hit.

To get 2000 installed on your server, you can do it a few different ways.

If you are going to use the SmartStart method, you have a couple options:

Manual install or Assisted Install. Unless you have the Smart Start
Management CD, you wont be able to do an assisted, you will have to do a
manual. But, I dont think that 5.50 has the drivers necessary for an
assisted with a 5x array controller. I have never tried it, so I cant say
for sure.

Easiest thing to do (in my opinion), is to do a manual and give the install
process the OS CD when it asks for it. then do the F6 trick and you should
be in business. DO NOT REMOVE the floppy until after ALL the system files
have copied to the local disk, and you are prompted for a reboot.

Good luck,

- LC

Thanks a million to LC, Jez and others for the support.

Repair has worked and Win2k-ADV SERV is set up.

Second machine got added in the repair.

Second machine's battery got charged quickly but of former's battery's
problem continues, that of being "Array Acceletor Battery Charge Low".

Second machine with no battery problem has come up with its own
problem.

Upon starting the server, a message comes up,

"Boot Strap Processor is not lowest steping.
Recommend you change processos"

Both machines have problem of having to press F1 to start

Any way to fix the new problems?

Regards
D M Joshi

Old October 10th 05, 06:04 PM
Alex Blanco

Guy Macon wrote:
NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote...

I found that a LOT of my hot-plug drives were updatable...but I can't
really swear that the updating made any noticable difference in
performance. Has anybody else updated their drives and found any
improvement that they can point out?

Disk Firmware updates were never (primarily) geared towards performance
improvements. They have been introduced to fix bugs and modify alerting
thresholds that come into play when using the Insight Agents, CIM, or HPSIM.

In the past, I have seen lots (no as in, "a lot") of drives with the same
firware get update advisories for false failure notidifcaitons, improper
SMART thresholds, erronious error indicators, etc. They have made noticable
impacts in our CIM consoles, changing servers from Yellow to Green by
clearing impeding hard drive failure messages ....

So, there you have it.

The new firmware CD boots to linux, and when told to do an express update,
will search all the devices in your server. If there is an update for any
updateable component, you will be notified and given the chance to update
it. Its relatively painless.

Thanks! It can't be good having a bunch of drives in an array with
different firmware, and I suspect that my eBay bargain hunting got
me exactly that!

Well I'd like update as well. But I'm stuck at a bash# prompt. Where to
from here? Updating a 5500.
Old October 10th 05, 06:51 PM
Nut Cracker

Download the SmartStart CD and do an assisted install.

If it's a Dl380 G1, you want Smartstart 5.50. Any other DL380, use the
latest version (7.40)

you cant do an assisted install without the companion managment CD. Its a
matched version type thing ... so be careful.

Old October 10th 05, 07:25 PM
Alex Blanco

Alex Blanco wrote:

Guy Macon wrote:

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

[...]

Sorry gang. Fixed the prob.

Old October 11th 05, 04:44 AM
Aidan Grey

On 10 Oct 2005 09:14:59 -0700, wrote:

( Snip )

Thanks a million to LC, Jez and others for the support.

Repair has worked and Win2k-ADV SERV is set up.

Second machine got added in the repair.

Second machine's battery got charged quickly but of former's battery's
problem continues, that of being "Array Acceletor Battery Charge Low".

Second machine with no battery problem has come up with its own
problem.

Upon starting the server, a message comes up,

"Boot Strap Processor is not lowest steping.
Recommend you change processos"

Both machines have problem of having to press F1 to start

Any way to fix the new problems?

Regards
D M Joshi

The only way to fix the Array Accelerator battery problem is
to replace the battery module on the Smart Array card. Look for
the spare part number on the module, and do a Google search for
it. There are various suppliers for this, and other Compaq parts.

The second error message means you have two processors with
different stepping values. Intel uses stepping values to indicate
minor changes to their processors.

This error message can probably be eliminated by swapping
the two processors.

It is best to run a multiprocessor machine with two identical
processors. However, this does not mean there will necessarily
be problems if the stepping values are different. Look at the
Compaq part numbers on the processors when you swap them.
If they are the same part number, then they are compatible
processors.

Aidan Grey

Old October 11th 05, 05:54 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Thanks a million to LC, Jez and others for the support.

Repair has worked and Win2k-ADV SERV is set up.

Second machine got added in the repair.

Second machine's battery got charged quickly but of former's battery's
problem continues, that of being "Array Acceletor Battery Charge Low".

If the message does not say that the batteries have failed, give them time
to charge. This is an expeced condition after a controller has been sitting
without power for a period of 72, or more, hours.

Second machine with no battery problem has come up with its own
problem.

Upon starting the server, a message comes up,

"Boot Strap Processor is not lowest steping.
Recommend you change processos"

As recomemended, swap the positions of your two processors to see if that
remedies the problem.

Both machines have problem of having to press F1 to start

If the provided suggestions do not remedy the problem, write back and I will
tell you how to disable the F1 prompt. It is NOT desireable to do, however
can serve an end to a means while you are properly persuing a remedy for the
real issue.

Any way to fix the new problems?

Regards
D M Joshi

-= LC

Old October 11th 05, 07:40 AM

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
If the message does not say that the batteries have failed, give them time
to charge. This is an expeced condition after a controller has been sitting
without power for a period of 72, or more, hours.

Machines were lying unplugged for over 10 months.

For battery to recharge should the machine be running or just power
coming into machine is sufficient?

I have been wondering if the starage capacity of these machines can be
enhanced at relatively less cost. Three SCSI hard disks one can put in
are six times costly than IDE hard disks. I believe DL380-G1 does not
have facility to put in SATA disk, nor can one put a card for the
purpose.

Old October 11th 05, 10:05 AM
Guy Macon

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

If the provided suggestions do not remedy the problem, write back and I will
tell you how to disable the F1 prompt. It is NOT desireable to do, however
can serve an end to a means while you are properly persuing a remedy for the
real issue.

Is the technique universal among older compaq computers? I have
a prolinea 4/100 that I use as a dedicated Freesco firewall, and
I have to kep an old keyboard plugged in so that it boots without
hanging at te F1 prompt.

Why the idiots who make PCs include missing keyboard in the list
of errors that can only be corrected with a keybaord escapes me.
At least compaq servers don't have that particular idiocy...

Old October 11th 05, 01:10 PM

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
If the message does not say that the batteries have failed, give them time
to charge. This is an expeced condition after a controller has been sitting
without power for a period of 72, or more, hours.

Second machine with no battery problem has come up with its own
problem.

Upon starting the server, a message comes up,

"Boot Strap Processor is not lowest steping.
Recommend you change processos"

Someone who sat with me and who is much much more experienced than me
tells me that
"the processor stepping problem has come up after Firmware upgrades.
This problem was not there before the Firmware upgrade."

Could it be so?

Old October 11th 05, 01:53 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Guy Macon" http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote in message

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

If the provided suggestions do not remedy the problem, write back and I
will
tell you how to disable the F1 prompt. It is NOT desireable to do, however
can serve an end to a means while you are properly persuing a remedy for
the
real issue.

Is the technique universal among older compaq computers? I have
a prolinea 4/100 that I use as a dedicated Freesco firewall, and
I have to kep an old keyboard plugged in so that it boots without
hanging at te F1 prompt.

I dont think that the prolinea has the bois features required to be able to
disable the F1 prompt. Granted, I have never owned one, and it has been some
8 + years since I have even touched one in a support capacity.

But, yah. You are running a desktop computer. Someone figured it would be a
good thing if the think stopped if there was a problem with the keyboard,
since back in the day that was the main way you worked with them (sure,
there were mice ... but still). After all, how many keyboard-less DOS 5
"servers" did you run on an AMD 100Mhz, 486-ish machine, back in 93 ? Thats
what the prosignia's were for ..

-= LC