DLT7000 and a Proliant 5000

Old September 30th 05, 07:12 PM
Robert Bates

Alex,

You were right, there was a 68 pin connector hiding under several cables and
it works!

So, why would the other not work???

"Robert Bates" wrote in message
I would prefer the 68 pin but the header on the motherboard is 50 pin.

"Alex Blanco" wrote in message
Why are you using the 50pin header in the 5000 when you would be better
off using the 68pin head?

Robert Bates wrote:
Jason,

How is the DLT7000 in your 2500 set up in terms of jumpers and does it

use a
50-68 pin adapter? Maybe I have been missing something with the

jumpers
on
this one. I believe that the 2500 and 5000 are of a similar vintage.

Regards

"Jason Arthurs" wrote in message

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:39:04 -0500, "NuTCrAcKeR"
wrote:

"Robert Bates" wrote in message

I just tested it with an ohm meter and it looks like its single

ended.

i think the drives with 50pin connectors are SE, while the ones with

the
68pin connectors are LVD.

I've got a DLT7000 here that just arrived in a Proliant 2500 and it
has a 68pin connector which on an LVD cable. The documentation
suggests they are available as both SE and LVD both with 68 pin
connections (pg 48/49). Here's the link for the full manual from
Quantum http://downloads.quantum.com/dlt7000...ductmanual.pdf

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.

Old September 30th 05, 07:50 PM
Alex Blanco

Don't question the great god SCSI!! ;-) Actually not sure but it is more
than likely the 68pin to 50pin converters you have. I seem to remember
that there can be problems because of the way some are wired.

Great to hear. Glad to be of help. Been playing with Proliants since the
Proliant 1000 days.

Robert Bates wrote:

Jason,

How is the DLT7000 in your 2500 set up in terms of jumpers and does it

use a

50-68 pin adapter? Maybe I have been missing something with the

jumpers

on

this one. I believe that the 2500 and 5000 are of a similar vintage.

Regards

m...

Old September 30th 05, 10:41 PM
Robert Bates

Thanks again for the help. Now I have another problem. The 50 pin cd drive
will not allow the server to boot. It complains about a scsi cable error.
I tried it by unplugging the cable from the cd drive- same error, when I
unplug it from the motherboard, it boots up fine.

Another question about tape drives in general, this server is currently
running Windows 2000 server for testing and the tape drive shows up in
device manager and the tape drive diagnostic finds it and it tests out fine
but... it doesn't show up as a drive in "my computer" or in the MS system
back up software.

.. .

Old September 30th 05, 11:15 PM
Alex Blanco

Replace the cable. It may have gotten pinched or stretched. It doesn't
take much sometimes.

Give me abit of time on the "my computer" or ms backup problem. I've run
into this sort of thing my self but, I'm getting old and memory fails
for the moment.

news:8v4qj15rlcjp4mg3fruvcatphje7ji6f1g@4ax. com...

Old October 1st 05, 12:00 AM
Robert Bates

The pins all look ok. If I unplug the 68 pin cable for the tape drive, the
cd works fine. Strange.

Old October 1st 05, 12:32 AM
Nut Cracker

its probably an either-or channel. You may not be able to use both the 68pin
and 50pin header at the same time.

Its been a long, long time since i had my hands inside a 5000. I dont think
there are any 50pin headers inside of a 5500.

- LC

Old October 1st 05, 02:26 AM
Jeffrey Alsip

What a magnificent thread this has become! I couldn't resist jumping
in.

None of my ProLiants have 50 pin headers. But it sounds like the drive
works when attached to the 68 pin header. Can I suggest you put the
50/68 adapter on the CD and the tape drive, and get a multiconnector 68
pin cable with a terminator on the end. Give the two drives different
SCSI ID's and proceed to chain them together on the single (and
apparently working) 68 pin header?

I have a 3000 with a SCSI CD and tape drive both connected in just this
way, and it worked right from the start.

Let's keep going, though. I think we can hit 50 responses if everybody
jumps in!