DLT7000 and a Proliant 5000

Old September 29th 05, 02:17 AM
Robert Bates

I have, it doesn't see the drive.

"Alex Blanco" wrote in message
Have you tried the external port on the 5000.

Robert Bates wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I tried another 50-60 pin adapter- no change

"Robert Bates" wrote in message

Not on the same cable but on the external plug on the back of the card.

It

worked fine on the 5500 which pleased me because I really didn't want to
have two servers opened up. On the 5000 I've tried both connectors on

the
cd drive scsi cable, it sees the cd but not the tape. I also tried the
drive in an old IBM workstation with narrow scsi and it couldn't find

the
tape drive either. Is it possible that the adapter could be bad. I

assume

that it is just pin to pin and doesn't contain anything else.

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message

are you saying that you are putting the tape drive on the same cable as

the

array controller ?

"Robert Bates" wrote in message
news
The present scsi id was five and I tried several other ids but no

change.

When I tested the drive earlier it was with an external 68 pin to the
external connector on a 221 array controller on my 5500- worked great.

This last time I tried, I realized that the 2SL has an external 68 pin
connector so I tried the external cable with it- still doesn't see

the

tape
drive.

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message

"Aidan Grey" wrote in message
culink.com...

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:33:24 -0700, Robert Bates wrote:

I installed a DLT7000 tape drive in my PL5000 by connecting it to

the

second
50 pin SCSI connector with a 50 to 68 pin adapter in the cd/floppy

bay.

When booting, it doesn't see the tape drive and it also doesn't

show

up

on

the Compaq/HP tape drive diagnostics. The SCSI cd drive does.

This

was
an
eBay tape drive but he claims it worked fine. Would the adapter

cause

problems?

What is the present SCSI ID? I think you will have to set it to

less

than
7 if you are going to a 50 pin connector.

What are your other settings on the tape drive, parity

enabled/disabled,

etc?
One of those settings might cause problems also.

Aidan Grey

I think he said he tried it on another cable, and it was good. Im not
sure
if he used the 50 ~ 68 adapter or not for his other test.

- LC

Old September 29th 05, 01:43 PM
Aidan Grey

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:01:30 -0400, Alex Blanco wrote:

It's a 68pin connector on the tape drive? Could it be a differential drive?

Robert Bates wrote:

(Snip)

The Smart Array card cannot control a tape drive. It is
intended for use with hard drives only. I believe this is
true of all models of Smart Array cards.

You must connect the tape drive to one of the motherboard
SCSI ports.

I agree with the suggestion that this might be a differential
SCSI tape drive. That is what you should check next. Do
you have any documentation on this model of drive? If
not, what is the exact model number of this drive.

Some models of SCSI controllers will autodetect whether
the attached devices are differential or single ended. That
might be what is causing your ambiguous results so far. I
don't think any Compaq SCSI controller does this though.

Does the 68 to 50 adapter have a label stating whether it
is differential or single ended?

Can you borrow a 68 to 68 pin cable for testing purposes?
That also might help narrow down what is happening.

Aidan Grey

Old September 29th 05, 04:34 PM
Robert Bates

I was able to find my model this morning on the Quantum site. It's a
DLT7000 Compaq part number 242853-b21

The adapter doesn't have a label so I don't know if it is differential or
single ended.

I do have an external 68 pin cable.

Thanks

k.com...

Old September 30th 05, 05:39 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Robert Bates" wrote in message
I just tested it with an ohm meter and it looks like its single ended.

i think the drives with 50pin connectors are SE, while the ones with the
68pin connectors are LVD.

Old September 30th 05, 11:49 AM
Jason Arthurs

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:39:04 -0500, "NuTCrAcKeR"
wrote:

"Robert Bates" wrote in message
I just tested it with an ohm meter and it looks like its single ended.

i think the drives with 50pin connectors are SE, while the ones with the
68pin connectors are LVD.

I've got a DLT7000 here that just arrived in a Proliant 2500 and it
has a 68pin connector which on an LVD cable. The documentation
suggests they are available as both SE and LVD both with 68 pin
connections (pg 48/49). Here's the link for the full manual from
Quantum http://downloads.quantum.com/dlt7000...ductmanual.pdf

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.
Old September 30th 05, 03:35 PM
Robert Bates

Jason,

How is the DLT7000 in your 2500 set up in terms of jumpers and does it use a
50-68 pin adapter? Maybe I have been missing something with the jumpers on
this one. I believe that the 2500 and 5000 are of a similar vintage.

Regards

Old September 30th 05, 04:21 PM
Alex Blanco

Why are you using the 50pin header in the 5000 when you would be better
off using the 68pin head?