Pentium II 300MHz in a 1200 - can do?

Old September 15th 05, 08:01 AM
.

Default Pentium II 300MHz in a 1200 - can do?

On my quest for headers in the junk box at the back of the workshop, I
stumbled across a CPU, a Pentium II marked 80522PX300512EC which I
believe is a 300MHz model with a 66MHz FSB.

Now I just wondered whether it would be worth plugging into the Proliant
1200R I got last Sunday - it has a 266MHz unit.

Is this worth doing? I don't know if the 300 works, but if it does, it
might make the motherboard crank along a hair's width faster. Are all
other things (VRM requirements, jumper settings) the same?
Old September 15th 05, 10:32 AM
.

Hmmm... I just answered my own question - it fired up OK, but both the
BIOS and the OS report seeing a 266MHz CPU. Just for fun, I tried
running SCU to see if it would make any difference. It didn't.

So question is: are there some jumper settings I need to change on the
main board to tell this thing it's gained an extra pound of boost
pressure, is it simply a case of don't bother, it won't go past the set
speed limit anyway?

I hope it's jumper settings, because if it works I could probably find a
500MHz CPU on ebay for a dollar and turbocharge it.
Old September 15th 05, 02:00 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

You have to locate SW1 (Bus/Core Ratio Settings), a dip swith just
above the memory expansion board slot.

For a 300MHz, use these settings:
SW1=off
SW2=off
SW3=on
SW4=off

The documents I have show that a 333MHz may be the highest you can go.

Old September 16th 05, 12:17 AM
Jeffrey Alsip

Another interesting problem.

I have yet to encounter a blown motherboard...but logic tells me that
it must happen occassionally.

When you engage the power button, do you hear the noises associated
with boot-up (ramping power supply fan, some whirring from the drives,
etc.)? Do you see any LED flashes from the drives or CD?

Finally, please tell me that you did not accidentally toggle the dip
switch which disables the on-board video. The switch bank where you
located the dip to "nuke the NVRAM" shows that switch being number 6
and the video disable being number one...not to difficult to confuse
the two. Just to be safe, every switch on that bank should be set to
OFF, by default (except #3 if you have a rackmount unit).

Old September 16th 05, 09:55 AM
.

Found it. The system expansion board had tossed its cookies. After
replacing it, the system came up fine. Did a ROMPAQ update (the new
expansion board had come out of a 1600 somewhere) and we're back in
business.

I don't know why it went, but now that it's working, I ain't touching
it! Maybe its time was about due anyway.
Old September 16th 05, 12:41 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

The rack switch setting has to do with the insight agents. When viewing a
remote system, it tells you if its a tower or a rack mounted machine. It can
be useful when trying to identify a machine that is under management at a
remote location.

- lc

"." wrote in message
om.au...
In article .com,
says...
Another interesting problem.

I have yet to encounter a blown motherboard...but logic tells me that
it must happen occassionally.

When you engage the power button, do you hear the noises associated
with boot-up (ramping power supply fan, some whirring from the drives,
etc.)? Do you see any LED flashes from the drives or CD?

Nada - the CD goes through a light-the-LED-up but it's the logic on the
CD doing it, nothing provided by the motherboard. There's no drive
activity or fan control happening. I know it's a dead 'un.

Finally, please tell me that you did not accidentally toggle the dip
switch which disables the on-board video. The switch bank where you
located the dip to "nuke the NVRAM" shows that switch being number 6
and the video disable being number one...not to difficult to confuse
the two. Just to be safe, every switch on that bank should be set to
OFF, by default (except #3 if you have a rackmount unit).

Nah I ain't blonde

Everything is in order. I'll grab another motherboard later today and do
a swap.

BTW that rack-mounr switch setting has me curious: why does the system
need to know? I thought all they did was take the same guts and either
place them in an upright plastic case, or lay it down flat and bolt a
steel face plate onto it. What exactly does that switch do?

Old September 16th 05, 01:53 PM
.

Ah I see - so it just sets a flag. Fair enough.
Old September 16th 05, 05:48 PM
Rick F.

In article , NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
The rack switch setting has to do with the insight agents. When viewing a
remote system, it tells you if its a tower or a rack mounted machine. It can
be useful when trying to identify a machine that is under management at a
remote location.

This switch also seems to have a double-identity for certain servers such as
my 6400R.. The big colorful sticker on the lid indicates it's a switch as
you indicated above, but the maintenance manual that was pointed out to me
on HP's website calls that switch "External hot-plug redundant system fan
assembly uninstall".. Curiously long name if you ask me.. (8-

-- Rick

CAD and Pentium 4 vs Pentium M Matt Roberts Intel 2 June 30th 05 03:33 PM
wifi max Asus Motherboards 1 February 25th 04 10:36 PM
inaccessible_boot_device emmexx Storage (alternative) 5 February 13th 04 07:51 PM
Pentium 2 512 MB limitation ? Peter Perlsø Intel 4 December 24th 03 06:21 AM
New PC with W2K? Rob UK Computer Vendors 5 August 29th 03 12:32 PM