Can you add a Integrated Management LCD to a 1200?

Old September 11th 05, 10:44 AM
.

Default Can you add a Integrated Management LCD to a 1200?

I've just acquired a Proliant 1200R server, and I've noticed the little
blanking plate on the front panel that certainly looks like it's meant
to take a Integrated Management Display, a la the Proliant 7000. This
machine is a Pentium II (266MHz) model and I was wondering, will the
1200 accept an Integrated Management LCD, or is it that only some other
model which takes the same cabinet uses the LCD?
Old September 11th 05, 01:04 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"." wrote in message
om.au...
I've just acquired a Proliant 1200R server, and I've noticed the little
blanking plate on the front panel that certainly looks like it's meant
to take a Integrated Management Display, a la the Proliant 7000. This
machine is a Pentium II (266MHz) model and I was wondering, will the
1200 accept an Integrated Management LCD, or is it that only some other
model which takes the same cabinet uses the LCD?

Yes, it was an option and is supported.

- LC

Old September 11th 05, 02:03 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

I had a 1600 that came with the blank off in place of the LCD. The
Compaq website revealed that the original model did come with support
for the IMD. However, the spot on the motherboard where the LCD cable
should connect did not have the pin header installed...just two rows of
soldered over pin holes.

You must check to see that the pins for the connector are present. They
should be near the top right corner of the main board, and will be
labeled "LCD Connector".

I would hate to even consider pulling the board out and trying to
solder on these two rows of pins! What a nightmare.

Jeff

Old September 11th 05, 05:55 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a 1600 that came with the blank off in place of the LCD. The
Compaq website revealed that the original model did come with support
for the IMD. However, the spot on the motherboard where the LCD cable
should connect did not have the pin header installed...just two rows of
soldered over pin holes.

You must check to see that the pins for the connector are present. They
should be near the top right corner of the main board, and will be
labeled "LCD Connector".

I would hate to even consider pulling the board out and trying to
solder on these two rows of pins! What a nightmare.

Jeff

I cant imagine how that would ever be worth the trouble.

that 1200 will likely top out at 512M of ram, and I dont even know if it
will support a 333Mhz chip (i know it will support a 233,266,300) ...

If by somechance it CAN run a 333, then you might be lucky and get a gig of
ram into that box. But honestly, its a paperweight.

- LC

Old September 12th 05, 02:29 AM
.

In article ,
says...

I cant imagine how that would ever be worth the trouble.

that 1200 will likely top out at 512M of ram, and I dont even know if it
will support a 333Mhz chip (i know it will support a 233,266,300) ...

If by somechance it CAN run a 333, then you might be lucky and get a gig of
ram into that box. But honestly, its a paperweight.

Have to disagree on the "paperweight" issue, simply because of this: I
bought this machine for the sole purpose of building a hardware firewall
for my network. It has a single 233MHz PentiumII, 128MB of RAM, is
absolutely immaculate, and cost me all of the equivalent of 35 US
dollars.

I'm compiling Gentoo onto it at the moment, it's progressing along quite
nicely, and when it's done I'll install Shorewall and plug 'er in.

Would I try to run XP on it? Ummm.... no. But for what I want it for,
anything more than what it's currently fitted out with would be way
overkill - this will never do anything more than sift packets.

The reason I was asking about the display is that there are some on ebay
going for around 4 dollars US. I've got a complete Metcal soldering
station in the workshop so I figure, if the motherboard supports it and
I need to desolder some holes on the system board and fit a DIL header
or whatever, that'd be OK and something to do for an hour.

It'd be fun...

And for the cost of 5 of my monthly magazines (or 3 1/4 trips through
the McDonalds drive-through for a Big Mac Meal and 10 nuggets), I get a
useful bit of gear. Can't argue with the value for money factor there.

Tell you what, the 1200 will still be going long after the McNuggets
have been flushed into the Pacific Ocean!

I can't pull the system board out at the moment because it's compiling
the OS, but if you hold the card so that the edge connector fingers are
on the left, I take it that the LCD connector would be in the top right
corner as you say? If that's so then that explains why I can't see it,
because that places it at the bottom of the enclosure when the system
board is plugged in. I haven't pulled any bit of the machine apart yet
so I guess I'll go and have a good look around after it's finished
compiling itself.
Old September 12th 05, 05:04 AM
Guy Macon

.. wrote:

Have to disagree on the "paperweight" issue, simply because of this: I
bought this machine for the sole purpose of building a hardware firewall
for my network. It has a single 233MHz PentiumII, 128MB of RAM, is
absolutely immaculate, and cost me all of the equivalent of 35 US
dollars.

I'm compiling Gentoo onto it at the moment, it's progressing along quite
nicely, and when it's done I'll install Shorewall and plug 'er in.

That's going to be a great firewall machine. I am typing this behind
a Compaq Prolinea with a 100Mhz 486 and 100MB of RAM, and it is far
faster than needed.

Have you considered Freesco instead of or in addition to Gentoo/
Shorewall? A lot easier, not nearly as much fun to set up...

Old September 12th 05, 05:33 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

I generally use Smootwall to build firewalls. But Smoothwall does not
have SCSI support. WHen I wanted to utilize a dual-PPro 2500 that was
sitting idle, I turned to IPCOP. It now runs very well on two mirrored
4.3G's. Smoothwall can make use of an oterwise useless PC...but we all
know how reliable this ProLiant equipment is, especially for a device
expected to run constantly like a firewall should.

Old September 12th 05, 07:14 PM
Guy Macon

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

I generally use Smootwall to build firewalls. But Smoothwall does not
have SCSI support. WHen I wanted to utilize a dual-PPro 2500 that was
sitting idle, I turned to IPCOP. It now runs very well on two mirrored
4.3G's. Smoothwall can make use of an oterwise useless PC...but we all
know how reliable this ProLiant equipment is, especially for a device
expected to run constantly like a firewall should.

I run my Freesco router/firewall on NO hard drive. It runs on
ramdisk, after booting from a write protected floppy. Even if an
attacker gains control of the machine, he cannot make a change that
will survive the next boot.

Backing up Freesco consists of doing a disk copy in Linux or DOS.

Old September 12th 05, 10:28 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

I hadn't really heard of that before. I assume I can find this by
searching Freesco on the web. How much memory is required?

Newbie: OC Advice: AMDXP2200 CPU Donald Bock Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 12th 05 12:14 AM
Enterprise Storage Management (ESM) FAQ Revision 2004/06/23 - Part 1/1 Will Spencer Storage & Hardrives 0 June 23rd 04 06:58 AM
Enterprise Storage Management (ESM) FAQ Revision 2004/04/11 - Part 1/1 Will Spencer Storage & Hardrives 0 April 11th 04 07:24 AM
wifi max Asus Motherboards 1 February 25th 04 09:36 PM
inaccessible_boot_device emmexx Storage (alternative) 5 February 13th 04 06:51 PM