5300 SCSI Array detects only 7 drives

Old July 16th 05, 01:17 PM
David Wood

Default 5300 SCSI Array detects only 7 drives

Anyone know how I can configure external SCSI Array - there are slots for 15
drives but the controller only detects 7.
Should this happen automatically or are there hardware switches?
The external array is Compaq Storageworks not sure of exact model

Advice appreciated.

Old July 16th 05, 01:32 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

We need more information.

Model of Server?

Size of drives?

Most importantly the type of controller card (model).

Jeff

Old July 16th 05, 02:29 PM
David Wood

MODEL: I forgot the exact model {will find out later} but it's from around
year 2000

DRIVES:
Size of drives:- 36.4 GB
Shown as Port3 & ID 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-8(spare)

oups.com...

Old July 16th 05, 03:17 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

Im just making a guess here, but if there are 14 slots, and you are only
seeing 7 drives, it sounds like you drive detection is being stopped at the
end of the channel backplane.

Check your storage system to see if there are 1 or 2 VHDC connectors on the
back. If there are 2, then your chassis is setup for dual channel. You will
need a cable from each port on the 5300 to each port on the back of the
chassis.

After you do that, you should see all your devices in the ACU.

As a note, if you are going to use a dual channel setup, evenly distribute
your drives on each channel (or, as close to even as you can get as possible
if you have an odd number of drives). This will provide for better
performance.

- LC

Old July 16th 05, 09:49 PM
David Wood

I think you are right - so I should just need a VHDCI to VHDCI cable
Will try this-thanks!