SATA and Hot Swap

Old January 1st 09, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Carl[_5_]

Default SATA and Hot Swap

I have two PCs.

The one with MSI motherboard does not Hot Swap SATA Hard drives.

The one with Gigabyte P4 Titan does Hot Swap SATA hard drives.
(P4M800)
Not a clue about Hot Swap is on the box.

How can I tell before choosing a new motherboard if it supports SATA Hot Swap?

Carl
Old January 1st 09, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Carl wrote:
I have two PCs.

The one with MSI motherboard does not Hot Swap SATA Hard drives.

The one with Gigabyte P4 Titan does Hot Swap SATA hard drives.
(P4M800)
Not a clue about Hot Swap is on the box.

How can I tell before choosing a new motherboard if it supports SATA Hot
Swap?

Carl

See the section "Advanced Host Controller Interface" here, where
the existence of AHCI equates to Hot Plug support. This isn't strictly
true, as hot plug was evident before ACHI drivers existed. But for the
purposes of dealing with modern motherboards, it is a good start
at identifying a motherboard that might support hot plug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ata

The trouble with this is, no one in the industry is going to
expend an extra line of ink in their documentation, to say
it is supported and part of their hardware. So you have to
assume it is present, when you see something like AHCI.

Before the AHCI driver came out, one assumption was that
a SATA 300MB/sec interface and its associated driver, would
support hot plug. The state of development, when SATA 150MB/sec
interfaces were the norm, was that hot plug wasn't included.
The connectors have always been designed to support it (the
connectors have staggered pins for proper interconnect
sequence.)

You can blame the organization that invented SATA, for
the sorry state of feature identification.

Paul
Old January 1st 09, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Carl[_5_]

Paul wrote:
Carl wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that!
The Wikpediao link,
under the "Power section, last paragraph... I find:

"...Understanding this, drive manufacturers have largely left the 3.3 V power lines unused. However, without 3.3 V
power, the SATA device may not be able to implement hotplugging as mentioned in the previous paragraph."

That sound like hot plug can also be a device issue.

However, in my experience, I was trying the same device on two different systems. That is how I became aware.
Old January 2nd 09, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Carl[_5_]

Default SATA and Hot Swap (More info)

Paul wrote:
Carl wrote:
[...]

Paul,
Thanks to that lead, I started more research. The Wikipedia page also mentions this: "Adapters exist which can convert
a 4-pin Molex connector to a SATA power connector. However, because the 4-pin Molex connectors do not provide 3.3 V
power, these adapters provide only 5 V and 12 V power and leave the 3.3 V lines unconnected."

I was using the power adapter on the "failing" machine.

If I had not handled that issue first, all the rest of my trials would have been fruitless.

I finally located the CD that came with the MSI P4M800 motherboard

After much trial and error (mostly error) of trying this and that, I found that...

1. Changed the BIOS setting from IDE to RAID, and
now hot swap works.

But of course I am not using RAID.

Carl
Old January 2nd 09, 01:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Carl wrote:
Paul wrote:
Carl wrote:
[...]

It sucks having to figure this stuff out by doing experiments. But
it is kinda traditional for motherboard manuals to not document
all the various ways of setting up disks and drivers, to get
an OS installed and so on.

Paul