Configuring ILO remotely?

Old October 12th 07, 06:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Bob Mgr

Default Configuring ILO remotely?

I just was talking with someone who said my most recent server, a ML350 G5
could be booted into BIOS and modified remotely via ILO.

I admit I have no idea how this works so I'd like to explore more. We got
someone at the remote site to plug a cable into the ILO port but beyond that
I have no idea what to do. Did I need to assign it an IP address in the BIOS
first, or something like that?

Thanks for any pointers/links.

-Bob!

Old October 14th 07, 12:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Bob Mgr" wrote in message
I just was talking with someone who said my most recent server, a ML350 G5
could be booted into BIOS and modified remotely via ILO.

An iLO is a thimg that allows you to have total control over your server
from a browser, as if you were at the server console.
So yes, things like changing the BIOS are quite possible.

You need to configure the iLO so you can talk to it first.

I admit I have no idea how this works so I'd like to explore more.

The manuals are available for download, but you should find them all on the
CDs that came with the server

I have no idea what to do.

RTFM of couse!

Did I need to assign it an IP address in the BIOS first, or something like
that?

Thanks for any pointers/links.

Read the documentation. It is EXCELLENT technology, and it's not complex,
but it's still more typing than I have time for, and there's little point in
explaining what's already covered in the manuals.