Anyone has a SmartStart 6.40 CD to laying around?

Old April 19th 07, 10:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Default Anyone has a SmartStart 6.40 CD to laying around?

"Heimo Hetl" wrote in message
Nut Cracker wrote:

[...] Can you give me a hint where I could get a new logic
board? The part no. is 252355-001. (I am in Austria, but any other EU
country would be just as fine)

http://search.ebay.com/...

Well, thanks, but I had looked there myself. However, since this is for
company use, I'd prefer to buy from a dealer in the EU, and I'd rather
consider a new board instead of used. HP faxed me an offer, but they
only quoted their techie rates, not the spare part itself. (And they
won't sell the spare part without a techie coming to install it.) The
support guy on the phone suggested "getting the part from a
distributor", but he couldn't name one. Suggestions anyone?

cheers
Heimo

--
You never ask questions when God's on your side.

Heimo,
Sometimes you can find parts on ebay quicker and much cheaper than a
distributor. Considering the age of your unit, I would think that it would
be a waste of money to buy a new board, as it will cost almost what a new
server costs. You should be able to find those boards used in the 100 USD
range.

I have bought many 10's of thousands of dollars worth of Compaq and HP on
Ebay with relatively little trouble. For the price difference in a new and
used board you can buy 10 or more used boards for what one new one costs. As
far as that goes, you can buy a reconditioned server complete for less that
a new motherboard from HP.

Do a Google search on that part number and you should find multiple sources
for it. Another thought for buying a used board, if your existing board isn'
t defective you don't **** away 1000 bucks.

Old April 20th 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Benjamin Gawert

* Heimo Hetl:

Suggestions anyone?

If Germany is ok for you I can give you the contact of a reliable HP
distributor that even might have a used board on stock. My email address
is valid.

Benjamin
Old April 20th 07, 05:25 PM posted to comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote
So all SA5300 series controllers can do ADG.

Nope. You probably didn't read the complete text:

--- quote ---
NOTE: RAID ADG is a standard feature of SA-5304 and available as an option
to other models. RAID ADG requires a minimum of 64-MB battery-backed
cache.
--- end of quote ---

Ooof! Shocking! I will RTFM on that one!

RTFM gives:
Search for part number 135606-006 (5300 manual) - Page 8-12

It indicates that ADG functionality is SW dependant on most 5300 cards, but
can be HW dependant on the earlier ones.

Note the FW it talks about is 2.72 and the latest FW is 3.54B... But it does
mention how to install the SW and it looks like the ADG module could just be
a fancy jumper, so that thing LC found could also be correct.

So I was sort of right..., but not infallible ;-)

Old April 20th 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Heimo Hetl" wrote in message
Jez T wrote:

If you have a problem, they will help diagnose and tell you what part(s)
you
need.
You don't have to accept their parts offer.

This is exactly what I did two days ago when a DL360G2 slowly started
failing on me. Can you give me a hint where I could get a new logic
board? The part no. is 252355-001. (I am in Austria, but any other EU
country would be just as fine)

Thanks a lot!

cheers
Heimo

The Ebay advice is sound. There's a good chance of finding 'parts' on ebay
through dealers. There's quite a good selection in Germany, and they do it
all above board with VAT and incoices.

IIRC, you're looking at ?900+ for a systemboard. + call out + labour.