DVD for DL580?

Old March 22nd 07, 07:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default DVD for DL580?

It's probably too old, but is there any Compaq/HP internal DVD reader that
would replace the built-in CD on a Proliant DL580?

--
Will

Old March 23rd 07, 01:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Will" wrote in message
It's probably too old, but is there any Compaq/HP internal DVD reader that
would replace the built-in CD on a Proliant DL580?

DL580 G1?

No. No official DVD, and I don't even think there's a CD-RW.

IIRC, it's a slimline CD. In theory, I don't see why you shouldn't be able
to replace it with a similar DVD, though there's no guarentees that it would
work / boot / etc. because the Firmware is not DVD orientated. That may or
may not be important.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Will" wrote in message
It's probably too old, but is there any Compaq/HP internal DVD reader
that would replace the built-in CD on a Proliant DL580?

DL580 G1?

No. No official DVD, and I don't even think there's a CD-RW.

IIRC, it's a slimline CD. In theory, I don't see why you shouldn't be able
to replace it with a similar DVD, though there's no guarentees that it
would work / boot / etc. because the Firmware is not DVD orientated. That
may or may not be important.

I have successfuly put the CD that comes in the G2/G3 servers into a 6400R.
Going from 12x to 24x. Its the same form factor as the regular ones, so I
dont see why you couldnt put a CDRW/DVD into one of these boxes. You may not
be able to boot from a CDRW or DVD, but booting from CD and then seeing the
proper devices in the OS would probably work.

- LC