Changing "Port Number" Reported by ACU?

Old March 10th 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default Changing "Port Number" Reported by ACU?

I'm using DL380 with SmartArray 5Si under Windows 2003. Is there a way I
can change the Port number reported by the ACU for a given drive slot?

I had a pair of drives in another DL380 and removed one to put in the new
system, hoping to use it as a starting point for building the new
configuration. What happens is quite strange: the drives in the mirror
were "Port 1" on the original system, but appear as "Port 2" on the new
system. But the system reports the missing drive on the new system as
"Port 1". This mismatch between the port number the system is assigning
to the array, and the array's internal memory of its port assignment, is
creativing havoc.

Without getting into a long complicated rebuild, something that I am sure
would make things work immediately would be to find a way to get the new
system to report its SmartArray 5Si devices to the OS as being "Port 1".
How does the ACU determine the port numbers and is there anything I can do
to change that mapping?

--
Will

Old March 10th 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuT CrAcKeR

"Will" wrote in message
[...]

You must install the duplex enabler kit, which is a bus terminator and an
extra little cable, so that 1 array controller channel gets 0:0, 0:1, and
the other channel gets 1:0, 1:1. 1:2, 1:3. Look at the front of the server:
the far right slots (top and bottom) are 0:0 and 0:1.

If you dont have the parts that came with the server (which should include
this little device), they can be had on ebay rather cheaply.

- NuTs

Old March 11th 07, 03:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
You must install the duplex enabler kit, which is a bus terminator and an
extra little cable, so that 1 array controller channel gets 0:0, 0:1, and
the other channel gets 1:0, 1:1. 1:2, 1:3. Look at the front of the

server:
the far right slots (top and bottom) are 0:0 and 0:1.

If you dont have the parts that came with the server (which should include
this little device), they can be had on ebay rather cheaply.

The strange thing is without the duplex enabler the one and only port on the
motherboard SmartArray 5Si is showing in Windows 2000 as Port 2. I can't
understand why it is skipping Port 1 entirely.

--
Will

Old March 11th 07, 03:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
You must install the duplex enabler kit, which is a bus terminator and an
extra little cable, so that 1 array controller channel gets 0:0, 0:1, and
the other channel gets 1:0, 1:1. 1:2, 1:3. Look at the front of the

server:
the far right slots (top and bottom) are 0:0 and 0:1.

If you dont have the parts that came with the server (which should include
this little device), they can be had on ebay rather cheaply.

I just searched through the DL380 G2 Maintenance and Service Guide and the
word Duplex does not appear there. You wouldn't happen to know the part
number for the device for the G2 would you?

--
Will

Old March 12th 07, 04:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuT CrAcKeR

"Will" wrote in message
"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
You must install the duplex enabler kit, which is a bus terminator and an
extra little cable, so that 1 array controller channel gets 0:0, 0:1, and
the other channel gets 1:0, 1:1. 1:2, 1:3. Look at the front of the

server:
the far right slots (top and bottom) are 0:0 and 0:1.

If you dont have the parts that came with the server (which should
include
this little device), they can be had on ebay rather cheaply.

I just searched through the DL380 G2 Maintenance and Service Guide and the
word Duplex does not appear there. You wouldn't happen to know the part
number for the device for the G2 would you?

--
Will

370385-001

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=dl380+duplex

it could be that right now, channel 1 (remember the 0 bus offet) is cabled
to the drive backplace, which would cause the ACU to report Port2 as the
only available port.

- LC

Old March 12th 07, 05:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuT CrAcKeR

"Will" wrote in message
[...]

Then again ... I might be confusing the features of the G3 with the G2 ....

The following is from the product pages for the Smart 5i controller (which the DL380 G2 uses):

The new Smart Array 5i Plus Controller is an intelligent array controller for entry-level, hardware-based fault tolerance for protection of OS, applications, and logs. Dual Ultra3 SCSI channels (one internal and one external) allow you to support all Ultra2, Ultra3, and/or Ultra320 SCSI internal hard disk drives as well as support up to 14 Ultra2, Ultra3, and/or Ultra320 SCSI external hard disk drives using the StorageWorksT Enclosure 4300 Family. The Smart Array 5i Plus controller provides one of the most cost effective alternatives to software-based RAID in the market today. Designed as a standard on the ProLiant DL580 G2 (2P Models) and as an optional upgrade with the ProLiant ML370 G2, ProLiant DL380 G2, ProLiant DL380 G3, ProLiant DL380 G2 Packaged Cluster, and ProLiant DL380 G3 Packaged Cluster servers, the Smart Array 5i Plus controller and BBWC Enabler bundle provides increased performance and worry-free transportable battery backed write cache data protection for all server internal storage needs, without consuming a PCI slot.

Since there is only 1 internal channel, the duplex thingie is most likely for the G3 and G4 models.

You might try to see if the RAID mode can be changed in the RBSU for that machine ? I am certain you could hookup an external enclosure full of drives and use the internal 5i to RAID them up. Perhaps its mode can be changed from RAID to SCSI to support passthrough for external SCSI devices, such as DLT or LTO tape devices. If its mode can be changed, perhaps the ACU will report the internal channel as 1 rather than 2.

yah, im grabbing at straws here ... its been some time since I have worked on the G2's.

- LC