Anyone have the Dl320 with SATA drives?

Old February 22nd 07, 05:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Bob Mgr

Default Anyone have the Dl320 with SATA drives?

OK, I know, the reseller told me these drivers were not hot-swap. I knew
that before I bough them. However what I was not prepared for was the
little sticker on the server when we unboxed it which said the LED on the
front of the hard drive caddies will not work. So how am I supposed to know
when I have a drive failure? If I setup the alerting, will the system alert
me when there is a failure?

We also have a bunch of DL380 with SCSI drives and if you pop out one of the
spares we get an email alert. That is one way we test the alert functions.

But on the DL320 you can't pop out a drive while the machine is running.

Doh!

I can't believe Compaq would sell such a poorly designed system just so they
can claim they be early to market with a SATA server.

I'm really disappointed in Compaq this time.

Old February 22nd 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

insight agents are your friend. download and install the Proliant Support
Pack (PSP) for your DL and OS.

setup the event notification service to send you emails for all the agent
alerts, and you will know when the disks are "failing", and wont have to
wait until they actually die.

- LC

Old February 26th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Bob Mgr" wrote
OK, I know, the reseller told me these drivers were not hot-swap. I knew
that before I bough them.

Yeah, but did you look at the MTBF figures before you bought them as well?

However what I was not prepared for was the little sticker on the server
when we unboxed it which said the LED on the front of the hard drive
caddies will not work.

Feature.

We also have a bunch of DL380 with SCSI drives

Good. Sensible things to run a business on.

But on the DL320 you can't pop out a drive while the machine is running.

There's a SCSI option on the DL320.

I can't believe Compaq would sell such a poorly designed system just so
they can claim they be early to market with a SATA server.

Now HP... HP just market the products that people want to buy...

I'm really disappointed in Compaq this time.

Hey - you bought them

Old February 28th 07, 04:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Mgr bob

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
insight agents are your friend. download and install the Proliant Support
Pack (PSP) for your DL and OS.

setup the event notification service to send you emails for all the agent
alerts, and you will know when the disks are "failing", and wont have to
wait until they actually die.

Does not work with SATA. That was the point of my post.

Old February 28th 07, 12:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuT CrAcKeR

"Mgr bob" wrote in message

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
insight agents are your friend. download and install the Proliant Support
Pack (PSP) for your DL and OS.

setup the event notification service to send you emails for all the agent
alerts, and you will know when the disks are "failing", and wont have to
wait until they actually die.

Does not work with SATA. That was the point of my post.

i find that hard to believe

Old February 28th 07, 12:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuT CrAcKeR

"Mgr bob" wrote in message

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
insight agents are your friend. download and install the Proliant Support
Pack (PSP) for your DL and OS.

setup the event notification service to send you emails for all the agent
alerts, and you will know when the disks are "failing", and wont have to
wait until they actually die.

Does not work with SATA. That was the point of my post.

a sinlge query, and 9 seconds on google yielded this:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/26008.html

Old March 1st 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
"Mgr bob" wrote in message

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
insight agents are your friend. download and install the Proliant
Support Pack (PSP) for your DL and OS.

setup the event notification service to send you emails for all the
agent alerts, and you will know when the disks are "failing", and wont
have to wait until they actually die.

Does not work with SATA. That was the point of my post.

a sinlge query, and 9 seconds on google yielded this:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/26008.html

IIRC, we're talking about a DL320 here. The advisory only applied to DL320
G4, DL320 G5 and DL320s, so only the 3 most recent models of DL320.

And I reckon if you tested it (sorry not got original post with original
problem), even on a DL320G5, it will only do what the OP wanted with SAS
drives, not SATA.

Old March 1st 07, 02:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuT CrAcKeR

"Mgr bob" wrote in message

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
insight agents are your friend. download and install the Proliant
Support Pack (PSP) for your DL and OS.

setup the event notification service to send you emails for all the
agent alerts, and you will know when the disks are "failing", and wont
have to wait until they actually die.

Does not work with SATA. That was the point of my post.

a sinlge query, and 9 seconds on google yielded this:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/26008.html

IIRC, we're talking about a DL320 here. The advisory only applied to DL320
G4, DL320 G5 and DL320s, so only the 3 most recent models of DL320.

And I reckon if you tested it (sorry not got original post with original
problem), even on a DL320G5, it will only do what the OP wanted with SAS
drives, not SATA.

the OP does not designate what family DL320 he is working with, however he
is talking about SATA which seems to be supported in the G3, G4 and G5. The
last 3 models you eluded to in your post.

So maybe it doesnt work with SATA. There is a price to be paid when you go
on the cheap to save money.

Old March 1st 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote

the OP does not designate what family DL320 he is working with

Precisely. It's very important...

however he is talking about SATA which seems to be supported in the G3, G4
and G5. The last 3 models you eluded to in your post.

DL320s is s storage server by the looks of it. 3 most recent is 'G4', 'G5'
and 's', not including the G3. I'd have to check, but I reckon the DL320s is
just a G4 or G5 with a specific SN and an OEM Win2003 Storage Server OS
bundled.

All the models of DL320 have had options for ATA or SCSI drives. The earlier
ones /may/ not have been Serial-ATA, and only the G4 and G5 support
Serial-Attached-Scsi.

So maybe it doesnt work with SATA. There is a price to be paid when you go
on the cheap to save money.

One of them is the embarrassment of having to admit that 'oh **** - I didn't
read the documentation' applies.
Join the club. I have a sales guy jumping up & down at me at the moment
because a $$$ system he sold does not do what he tole the customer it would
do. Simple oversight, beeg sheeght. You (can) learn from (everyone's)
experience...