Compaq Proliant DL760 PIII XEON 8x900mhz 4gig system

Old February 19th 07, 06:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

Default Compaq Proliant DL760 PIII XEON 8x900mhz 4gig system

Question: is this server going to run on two inputs of 110vac each or
is it going to require two inputs of 240vac to just come up.

Thanks.

Old February 19th 07, 06:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Depending on your config, 110 should be fine ... your can cut your amperage
load in half if you go to 240, but you still have to think about the total
wattage.

As per the quickspec on the HP site:
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/q...10813_div.HTML

Two Redundant Hot Plug 1150/500-Watt power supplies per system. Power
supplies are load sharing and provide 1150 Watts of Redundant power for 220
volt input or 500 Watts of Redundant power for 110 volt input.

NOTE: To ensure redundancy of server power, Compaq recommends that 200-240
VAC power be used for all deployments. This will ensure that both power
supplies can support up to their maximum configurations, and remain in a
redundant power supply state.

NOTE: A maximum of two power supplies are supported.

Of course, you have to consider what your system config is. You will need
way more power if you are going to run 16GB of RAM ... but, you are running
8 prox and 4GB. You might be able to get away with 2 500W supplies on 110,
but it appears that you would be better off running it on 220 to get 1150W
per PS rather than 500W on 110.

- LC

ups.com...

Old February 19th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
[email protected]

On Feb 19, 11:41 am, "Nut Cracker"
wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

ups.com...

Question: is this server going to run on two inputs of 110vac each or
is it going to require two inputs of 240vac to just come up.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Yea I know what compaq says on the issue. I do not care about
redundancy. I just want it to come up and run. I am thinking of
deploying it with windows 2000 advanced server as a home office
machine. (I am a telephony software developer and I am getting more
into multiprocessor voip support all the time. Current production
machines are 2.3gig P4 XEON QUAD core 4 gig machines.) So I really do
not want to have to get a electrician to just get it up and running.
I am thinking 110vac will bring it up but not be reduntant for one
simple reason. 1100watts from one power supply is enough to run the
machine in a situation where one power supply is failed. But i would
like to confirm this before I buy the machine.

Thanks.

Old February 19th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Yea I know what compaq says on the issue. I do not care about
redundancy. I just want it to come up and run. I am thinking of
deploying it with windows 2000 advanced server as a home office
machine. (I am a telephony software developer and I am getting more
into multiprocessor voip support all the time. Current production
machines are 2.3gig P4 XEON QUAD core 4 gig machines.) So I really do
not want to have to get a electrician to just get it up and running.
I am thinking 110vac will bring it up but not be reduntant for one
simple reason. 1100watts from one power supply is enough to run the
machine in a situation where one power supply is failed. But i would
like to confirm this before I buy the machine.

Thanks.

you can run the system, and have it redundant on 110, just so long as the
machine isnt configured for a "full load". In fact, I would look into
removing 4 of the processors to ensure that you can run a 4x proc, 4Gb
setup.

Not sure if you need slot 2 terminators or not. But if all you are doing is
working on multithreaded software, 4 proc's should serve as well as 8.

- LC

Old February 20th 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

wrote in message
ups.com...
Question: is this server going to run on two inputs of 110vac each or
is it going to require two inputs of 240vac to just come up.

Thanks.

This unit will run fine on two 120 volt inputs. The real issue with this
unit is cost of operation. If you intend on this thing going 24x7, expect
about a 30 to 40 dollar a month power bill increase.

Phil

Difference in perfomance PIII 550 vs. XEON 550? signmeuptoo Homebuilt PC's 1 April 2nd 05 09:16 AM
Looking for Xeon PIII 800 SL3wu proc David Compaq Servers 4 April 1st 05 02:50 PM
Compaq Proliant Storage System U1 Avory Compaq Servers 2 May 7th 04 09:58 AM
PIII vs PIII Xeon Matthew Speed Intel 3 February 14th 04 03:39 PM
PIII Xeon compatibility question Artimus General 0 January 26th 04 02:12 PM