Smartarray 5Si Reporting in Windows EventViewer

Old February 9th 07, 01:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

Default Smartarray 5Si Reporting in Windows EventViewer

"Will" wrote in message
"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
its a very specialized application, and is invoked on demnad by the HP
System Management Hompage Service. If you want to, you can disable it or

set
it to manual, as it wont affect the funtionallity of the other agents.
However, you will be cutting yourself off from one of the most
intelligent
features that the. If you are that worried about it, get a real firewall
appliance and call it a day. Then you can use the server for a more

suitable
purpose.

For SNMP trap capturing, read up on HP System Insight Manager. There is a
TON of information on the HP site.

Any environment, large or small, should be managed intelligently.

HP Insight Event Manager starts up in Disabled state. Should I be
worried
about that?

System Management Homepage appears to freeze on startup in the browser at
Internet Enhanced Security tool enabled. I added to Trusted Sites
https://127.0.0.1. MSIE 7 complains about the certificate. After
timeout I get the homepage, but obviously it is broken, and selecting any
other tab gets same timeout. Any thoughts on how to get that working?

--
Will

The event notifier requires a little extra setup .... you must identify an
SMTP server for it to use for relaying messages from. Once you do that, the
service will start. If the service is unable to contact the identified SMTP
service upon startup, it wont start.

The hompage isnt loading because your SNMP service has not be setup
properly. Basically, you need to come up with a community string that has
READ CREATE rights, and make sure that it can send traps to, and receive
traps from itselft (localhost) before it will load properly.

IE 7 will bark about that (honestly, I dont see any reason to use IE7 on a
server). You can add the URL into the list of trusted sites, and it should
go away.

- LC

Old February 9th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
msg

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

"Will" wrote in message

Im in Chicago. The email addy used for posting is fake so that I dont get
gazillions of spams.

Are you an expat from the U.K. (implied by the use of the term 'addy')?

Regards,

Michael
Old February 9th 07, 08:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"msg" wrote in message
NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

"Will" wrote in message

Im in Chicago. The email addy used for posting is fake so that I dont get
gazillions of spams.

Are you an expat from the U.K. (implied by the use of the term 'addy')?

Regards,

Michael

I am afraid not. Born and raised in the USA, though, i took a long and
unconventional road to get to Chicago. However, that is interesting ...
about the addy thing.

- LC

Old February 10th 07, 08:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
The event notifier requires a little extra setup .... you must identify an
SMTP server for it to use for relaying messages from. Once you do that,

the
service will start. If the service is unable to contact the identified

SMTP
service upon startup, it wont start.

Where is that configured?

The hompage isnt loading because your SNMP service has not be setup
properly. Basically, you need to come up with a community string that has
READ CREATE rights, and make sure that it can send traps to, and receive
traps from itselft (localhost) before it will load properly.

Well, I'm flying blind here. I have no SNMP experience. On ad hoc
reading of various documents, I created:

public: readonly
monitor: readonly
control: read create

Microsoft's documentation says never use public because it is not secure.

HP's documentation says use public because that is the default.

For now I just want access locally on the one machine.

Which of the above did I need, and how do I make it more secure? If I use
a non standard community name, where do I specify that in system management
homepage?

IE 7 will bark about that (honestly, I dont see any reason to use IE7 on a
server). You can add the URL into the list of trusted sites, and it should
go away.

IE 7 has extra security features when you combine it with the IE Enhanced
Security add in under Control Panel | Add-Remove Programs | Windows
Components.

IE 7 complains the Apache service has a broken certificate. Are we
supposed to add our own self-signed SSL certificate to this thing? Where
are the instructions on where / how to do that?

--
Will

Old February 10th 07, 08:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
Im in Chicago. The email addy used for posting is fake so that I dont get
gazillions of spams.

Are you in L.A. ?

North of there, SF Bay Area

--
Will

Old February 10th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

I should have added I got it working with the SNMP settings below, and now I
just want to fine-tune.

--
Will