New latest acquisition...

Old January 24th 07, 06:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

Default New latest acquisition...

Hi guys.. I finally found an enclosure that should work for me with a price
that wasn't too bad I guess ($51) which included 127Gb of drives.. I guess I'll
have to keep an eye out for some rails and a cable to plug it into the P6400..
Anyway, I would have liked it a little cheaper, but not too bad I guess and
the shipping is a bit cheaper than the typical enclosures w/o drives.

Here's a link to the auction : http://tinyurl.com/22p7cw

Old January 24th 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Rick F." wrote in message
Hi guys.. I finally found an enclosure that should work for me with a
price
that wasn't too bad I guess ($51) which included 127Gb of drives.. I guess
I'll
have to keep an eye out for some rails and a cable to plug it into the
P6400..
Anyway, I would have liked it a little cheaper, but not too bad I guess
and
the shipping is a bit cheaper than the typical enclosures w/o drives.

Here's a link to the auction : http://tinyurl.com/22p7cw

not bad ... just need a 68pin (or VHDCI) to VHDCI cable and you should be
in business.

Old January 26th 07, 05:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-01-24, Nut Cracker wrote:

not bad ... just need a 68pin (or VHDCI) to VHDCI cable and you should be
in business.

Is this the same sort of cable that I've already got on my external tape drive
by chance? Of course, I would need to plug it into the SmartArray controller
instead of the stand-alone port I used for the tape drive.. Correct?

I'll have to see what ports are on the enclosure -- the ad didn't indicate...
Hopefully it's got one of the faster Ultra3 interface..

Old January 30th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know what your needing when it arrives.
I'm sure we can dig up some parts for you. Yes, plug into the
smartarray, not the onboard SCSI.

--
mchero
mchero's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=319

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

Old February 7th 07, 07:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-01-30, mchero wrote:

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know what your needing when it arrives.
I'm sure we can dig up some parts for you. Yes, plug into the
smartarray, not the onboard SCSI.

Well.. I guess I jinxed my purchase.. It arrived today -- the drives
were in good shape, but the enclosure has a major dent (dent is
probably too weak a word here) that is on the right-front corner.
The last drive bay is completely unusable (there's a filler board
in there now and it's been pushed in perhaps 1/8" to 1/4" or so --
I'm not sure if the enclosure is even usable in its current shape..

Needless to say, I'll be contacting UPS tomorrow to bitch at them
and file a claim. I could see in the box where the enclosure had
made some serious dents in the box for the corner that it came down
on.. I suspect that a little better packing might have helped, but
I doubt it would have solved the issue completely.. Oh well.. This
will be my first time at filing a claim with UPS..Do they keep the
crap they've damaged --? Just curious..

Any comments on whether there's any logic boards in the front
right corner (I suspect not) would be appreciated.. I just plopped
it back in the box and put it in the trunk.. Oh well..

Old February 7th 07, 12:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
mchero

WOW! Sorry to hear about the crushed corner! Let us know where you get
with UPS. They will try one or both of the following, tell you it was
improperly packed or drag it out for as long as possible.

Might wantt to contact the seller & let him know what happened. He
moght have a solution.

Any way of tearing down & straightening?

Old February 7th 07, 04:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

On 2007-01-30, mchero wrote:

[...]

my experience with UPS is that they take the damaged gear. You might want to
take all the good drives from the box before thier claim inspector gets
there. I have gutted servers in the past that were smashed in shipment.

they may not have been so savvy back then.

Old February 7th 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-02-07, NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

my experience with UPS is that they take the damaged gear. You might want to
take all the good drives from the box before thier claim inspector gets
there. I have gutted servers in the past that were smashed in shipment.

Well.. I did drop a note to the seller and he offered to file the claim for
me.. I'll probably provide a pic or two of the damage.. As for the drives, they
were in a separate box and were unharmed from what I could tell (haven't tried
using them yet).. Anyway, we'll see how things go I guess..