Resurecting a ProLiant 3000?

Old September 15th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Default Resurecting a ProLiant 3000?

Gang,
Would it not be cheaper on him to get another unit like an 1850. I see them
go for as little as 15 to 20 bucks loaded and have dual P3 550 or 600's.
I don't think cost of operation has been mentioned either. If I'm not
mistaken that 3000 pulls quite a bit of juice. If Charles is trying to
squeeze the nickel, the 1850 might be half the cost to operate saving in a
month or two his total expenditure. In a 24x7 mode, that can cost quite a
few bucks a month.

Just a thought.
Phil

"***** charles" wrote in message
. ..
I will be gone until Sunday night. If you decide to take this deal,
just post a response here or send me email. I have tried to contact you
through email, but have not received a response....thus, this public
post.

Sorry for the email thing. I don't put in a real address since I don't
need more spam than I already get. I sent an email direct to you.

later,
charles....

Old September 15th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

"Phil" wrote in message
Gang,
Would it not be cheaper on him to get another unit like an 1850. I see

them
go for as little as 15 to 20 bucks loaded and have dual P3 550 or 600's.
I don't think cost of operation has been mentioned either. If I'm not
mistaken that 3000 pulls quite a bit of juice. If Charles is trying to
squeeze the nickel, the 1850 might be half the cost to operate saving in a
month or two his total expenditure. In a 24x7 mode, that can cost quite a
few bucks a month.

Just a thought.
Phil

"***** charles" wrote in message
. ..
I will be gone until Sunday night. If you decide to take this deal,
just post a response here or send me email. I have tried to contact

you
through email, but have not received a response....thus, this public
post.

Sorry for the email thing. I don't put in a real address since I don't
need more spam than I already get. I sent an email direct to you.

later,
charles....

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...58-001_ch5.pdf

I understand that 3000 is 500 to 550 watts
500 watts @ .10 per kwh 24X7 for a month is 36.48

The 1850 is about 200 +- Watts
200 watts @ .10 per kwh 24X7 for a month is 14.59

Old September 17th 06, 04:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
***** charles

"Phil" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
Gang,
Would it not be cheaper on him to get another unit like an 1850. I see

them
go for as little as 15 to 20 bucks loaded and have dual P3 550 or

600's.
I don't think cost of operation has been mentioned either. If I'm not
mistaken that 3000 pulls quite a bit of juice. If Charles is trying to
squeeze the nickel, the 1850 might be half the cost to operate saving in

month or two his total expenditure. In a 24x7 mode, that can cost quite

few bucks a month.

Just a thought.
Phil

"***** charles" wrote in message
. ..
I will be gone until Sunday night. If you decide to take this deal,
just post a response here or send me email. I have tried to contact

you
through email, but have not received a response....thus, this public
post.

Sorry for the email thing. I don't put in a real address since I

don't
need more spam than I already get. I sent an email direct to you.

later,
charles....

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...58-001_ch5.pdf

I understand that 3000 is 500 to 550 watts
500 watts @ .10 per kwh 24X7 for a month is 36.48

The 1850 is about 200 +- Watts
200 watts @ .10 per kwh 24X7 for a month is 14.59

Interesting point. Since the server at the moment is located at someone
else's business and it is turned off when not being used, it may not be
much of a difference. I don't know if they plan on using it 24/7 or not
or just when we have meetings. Sometimes the guys hang around most
of the day when we have a meeting. At the moment, we only meet one
day a month but I have been going to the place about once a week to
work on the machine, usually saturdays. It is in a commercial building
that has tons of old computers and servers laying around. One room
is set up for projection and presentation. Another room is the "server
room". Lots of old rack mount stuff, nothing working, and nothing
better than the PL3000. The building has a 3.0 DSL line into it. It
also has wired and wireless connections, WRT54G.

charles....

Old September 18th 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

***** charles wrote:
Yes. I have read several horror stores about getting raid controllers
to work especially under Linux. I would assume that Windows
would be no problem. The service packs are all written to work
with/under Windows. So to work on this machine is not purely a
Linux experience from a support standpoint. Does the Smart
Array Controller have a model number associated with it?

Sorry for my absence. My Grandaughter turned ONE YEAR OLD this weekend,
and I had to attend.

To answer your question, Charles, I would point you to this write-up I
did some time ago. It involves a 3000 with a 2DH Smart Array
Controller, running Linux:

http://www.pc-mod-squad.com/articles.html

Take a look and see if this jives with the "horror stories" that you
have heard.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old September 18th 06, 06:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
***** charles

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

***** charles wrote:
Yes. I have read several horror stores about getting raid controllers
to work especially under Linux. I would assume that Windows
would be no problem. The service packs are all written to work
with/under Windows. So to work on this machine is not purely a
Linux experience from a support standpoint. Does the Smart
Array Controller have a model number associated with it?

Sorry for my absence. My Grandaughter turned ONE YEAR OLD this weekend,
and I had to attend.

Can't fault you for that.

To answer your question, Charles, I would point you to this write-up I
did some time ago. It involves a 3000 with a 2DH Smart Array
Controller, running Linux:

http://www.pc-mod-squad.com/articles.html

Read the article. Your distro had no trouble with the controller,
but the video card was not a snap to set up. I suspect that newer
distro's would have less and less problems with raid controllers.

later.....