Errors when using the SS5.5 CD with Compaq 1850R Server

Old July 17th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
krubb

Default Errors when using the SS5.5 CD with Compaq 1850R Server

Hello everyone again. I had a thread back in March regarding my trials
and tribulations with this server. I have found a bit more time to
play with this project and wanted to continue where I left off.

I have used the SS cd's to create a floppy with the Compaq System
Erase Utility 1.69A and ran that without a problem. However, when I
power cycle the PC as instructed by the application and the Smart Start
CD loads I get the following message:

message1
An unrecoverable error has occured while running SmartStart

Error Code:24

The system erase utility must be run to prepare the system to run
SmartStart again.

Press any key to start the System Erase Utility.
/message1

Then once I have pressed a key I get this message:

message2
SPAWN ERROR: Exec format error running sserase.exe

A fatal error occured while trying to run the system erase utility.

ERROR CODE: 70

Press any key to restart SmartStart
/message2

And so it goes for forever. Does anyone have any ideas? Help and
assistance is appreciated.

Krubb

Old July 17th 06, 10:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

you have a bad burn. Burn the iso again at the slowest possible speed your
burner will support, and try again.

- LC

ups.com...

Old July 20th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

Thank you Mr. Nut Cracker! All of the issues I had been having with
this server over the last 3-4 months all boiled down to having a bad
burned copy of the SmartStart cd. Amazing. Well, I am glad to finally
say that the server is up and running with a copy of Windows 2003
Server. Since I was able to canabalize an identical server for parts I
am running with dual PII 450 MHz cpu's, 3- 9.1 SCSI HDD in a RAID 5
config. Not sure what I am going to do with it now but the point of
this entire project was to basically get a sandbox to play in. Thanks
for the help!!

Krubb

glad to help

Old July 20th 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Thank you Mr. Nut Cracker! All of the issues I had been having with
this server over the last 3-4 months all boiled down to having a bad
burned copy of the SmartStart cd. Amazing. Well, I am glad to finally
say that the server is up and running with a copy of Windows 2003
Server. Since I was able to canabalize an identical server for parts I
am running with dual PII 450 MHz cpu's, 3- 9.1 SCSI HDD in a RAID 5
config. Not sure what I am going to do with it now but the point of
this entire project was to basically get a sandbox to play in. Thanks
for the help!!

Krubb

I had a trusty burn which i created from a Compaq issued 5.50 cd, which I
had dubbed "old reliable" . I got a new DL360 G1 and the thing wouldnt work
with it. Basically, it was doing the same kind of thing you were reporting.
I tried everything, and since i had done dozens of setups with old reliable,
i didnt think to querstion it. On a whim, i burned another CD from the ISO i
had ripped off the original, and life was good.

There seems to be an issue with the ISO that is available from the HP site.
I have seen dozens of complaints that the CD's arent bootable, and it comes
down to burning the CD at ths slowest possible speed to get the thing to
work. I dont know why, but thats just how it is. Maybe there are only some
burners that can do it at full speed, and all the rest have to burn at 2x
.... i really dont know.

But, im glad your box is up and running. Have fun with it.

- LC

Old July 22nd 06, 08:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Nut Cracker" wrote

There seems to be an issue with the ISO that is available from the HP
site. I have seen dozens of complaints that the CD's arent bootable, and
it comes down to burning the CD at ths slowest possible speed to get the
thing to work. I dont know why, but thats just how it is. Maybe there are
only some burners that can do it at full speed, and all the rest have to
burn at 2x ... i really dont know.

I wonder if that's not an issue with the CD ROM drives being fairly old to
start with. I remember seeing some SmartStart CDs in Europe that would not
work at all until Compaq released a firmware update for the CD ROM drives.
Somewhere about SmartStart 4.70

Enhanced Audio CD image Adam Atlas Cdr 3 March 5th 06 03:42 AM
Can't rip, only see a CDA [email protected] Cdr 6 December 22nd 05 02:04 AM
Opinions wanted on error checks Noik Cdr 10 December 20th 05 08:02 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM