Best Gigabit Ethernet Card for File Server?

Old July 9th 06, 09:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default Best Gigabit Ethernet Card for File Server?

I'm converting a DL380 G2 into a file server, and I would like to know which
gigabit ethernet card that is supported for that server is the fastest HP
makes? I assume the opticals would in general give better performance than
the copper based cards? How would NC 6136 compare against recent
generations?

--
Will

Old July 9th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Will" wrote in message
I'm converting a DL380 G2 into a file server, and I would like to know
which
gigabit ethernet card that is supported for that server is the fastest HP
makes? I assume the opticals would in general give better performance
than
the copper based cards? How would NC 6136 compare against recent
generations?

--
Will

the challenge is finding an affordable switch that has 1000SX ports on it.

really any of the NC7xxx controllers are fine.

NC7770 is a single port broadcom chip ... NC7170 is a dual port intel chip.

I have had excellent results with both.

- LC

Old July 12th 06, 08:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Have you seen any published comparisons of throughput on the different HP
gigE cards?

Switch won't be an issue for us either way optical or copper.

--
Will

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
news

Old July 12th 06, 08:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

They are all about the same ...

I prefer cards based on the Emulex reference design and thier management
utilities ... HP has both Emulex and QLogic based cards.

What OS will you be using ? If you are using MS, StorPort driver
architecture is the way of the future.

- LC

Old July 12th 06, 09:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Will,
You make it sound like money is no object.
Perhaps fiber will be the future simply because I have chosen to use 1 gig
copper, overall, it was cheaper on me. One issue I ran into when I got into
the 1 gig network was compatibility. I do have a limited budget so I pinched
pennies on cards to start with. I bought a bunch of Intel 1 gig cards and
never could get past 100 meg with my HP switch. I bought some 3com 1 gig
server cards and it flew like a kite. My main switch was a 4000m HP with the
1 gig copper modules.

I later bought a cheap Dlink 1 gig switch (for a small workgroup) and found
it worked fine on the cheaper Intel cards.

Now, in my servers I use only the 3com 1 gig server cards, that's the long
64 bit jobs. Perhaps mileage varies depending on system, wire, and switch
and or switch programming. Sounds like LC has had more experience with the 1
gig stuff, but I know LC is a windoz only man. My network has a mixture of
machines but most of my servers are Linux.

A thought....
Phil

t...

Old July 12th 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

I AM SORRY ...

The response i gave pretained to Fibrechannel HBA's ... not GigE Cards.

For the networking, if you get HP cards (and not genuine intel or broadcomm,
or whatever) you get to use the NCU for configuration, teaming, etc ... its
very nice.

My only recommendation is that if you are going to Team ports/adapters, use
the same model of card. I dont recommend teaming an intel and broadcom nic
together.

- LC