How can I tell if my ProLiant 2500 is utilizing both CPUs with RH9?

Old June 26th 06, 10:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default How can I tell if my ProLiant 2500 is utilizing both CPUs with RH9?

I've got Gentoo Linux kernel 2.6.3 installed on the 2500 right now.

You might want to disable the frame buffer on RH9 (if you can)

using the gentoo installer the boot line for 256m of ram is:
gentoo-nofb memmap=exactmap memmap=640K@0M memmap=255M@1M

now once you get the install started you get to have fun with the array
controller. If you have a Smart Series you'll find that the drives get
different path names at various points of system startup. There is a
couple of good howto's on the Gentoo forums.

VinceV

wrote:
Is Gentoo a 2.4 or 2.6 Kernel?

Nothing I've tried based on 2.6 has even made it to the Install phase.
It sounds like I have the same config as you, except I don't have as
much RAM and I have more drives.

Because I'm running out of desk space in my home office, my wife is
currently enjoying the fact that there is now a ProLiant 2500 and a
7-bay Storage System sitting in the corner of our bedroom. I moved my
bedside table and have my clock radio on top of the server. :-)

I gotta find a countertop to build a wall unit in my office. She may
kill me and stuff me inside that server if I don't.

VinceV wrote:
LOL

Actually, I'm a fan of the Gentoo distribution. Doing a Stage 1
install on the Proliant 2500 takes a long 3 day weekend to accomplish.
I love their emerge software distribution tool.

I started down this path like you have, got a machine and wanted to use
it. I'm stubborn enough that when someone tells me it can't be done
that I'll give it a good effort to show that it can.

I've had that system up for 2-3 years now and it is solid. I have a
couple in the closet that I've retired (replaced with 1850's and DL380
G1s) for spare parts. Since I'm not running data intensive
applications the response times are adequate.

My direct e-mail is vpvATak7DOTcom,

VinceV

wrote:
See, now Vince, there you go again. I'm just going to stop using
Usenet and just e-mail you directly. :-) You're apparently the only
other person out there sick enough to use a ProLiant 2500 in 2006!

I'm not sure if top is installed, if it wasn't included with RH9, it
isn't installed. I'll try that.

Of course, the "yum upgrade" I started last night to upgrade to FC1 is
still running (Hopefully it will be up to four or five progress dots on
Resolving Dependencies by the time I get home). :-(

Kids, don't try this at home! This is an untrained amateur who should
know better!

Steve

VinceV wrote:
Steven,

Have you installed top?

Launch top (type top at the command prompt) and then press the 1 key
which will show the cpu utilization for each processor.

Did you compile your own kernel?

When you do (and you sould!) make sure you turn SMP on.
I use a Proliant 2500 as my main mail server and stats viewer (awstats,
apache, php) and it is great for that. Its no screamer but it gets the
job done. Rock solid, never down.

VinceV

wrote:
Some of you know that I have just installed RH9 on my 2500. I used
SmartStart 5.5 and did a manual configuration for Linux OS, but I never
saw the prompt to load the Configuration partition during that process.

Now I have the system running, but it refuses to run KDE, Gnome or
Xwindows. (I know, I shouldn't need them, but I'm a newb!) F10 does
nothing for me (because I have no partition for it)

When I boot the system, it lists both CPUs, but it takes so long to do
anything, I question whether or not the second CPU is being utilized.

Any hints?

Steve

Old June 27th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Well, the FC1 upgrade was waiting for me to tell it that it was ok to
delete dependencies when I got home. I told it yes, and then a minute
later I got slammed by GPG issues.

I've tried to trust every GPG key I can find. Unfortunately, a couple
of them must've been dependent on the keys that errored when I tried to
load them. I'm starting to feel that FC5 is definitely out of the
running.

I'm nervous about your drive array statement. As a linux newbie, I'm
not all that familiar with finding and loading drivers, and the Smart
2/P controller was recognized easily by RH9.

Sigh.

Old June 27th 06, 05:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

If I want a gui I install webmin and use my desktop pc to manage the
server. I had to do this for my wife, a web designer who is command
line challenged.

One of the reasons that I was drawn to Gentoo was the excellent set of
howto articles that are available on their site. These articles go
beyond basic system setup and install. They provide detailed
instructions on how to build purpose specifc servers (mail, web host,
file server, samba, etc). You can use them as a reference for just
about any linux distro.

I'm no l33t user, I started right where you are now, with a box and a
desire to learn. It can be a frustrating road, especially with older
hardware, but you will get it done!

VinceV

Old June 28th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Well, a status update for you. I got the FC1 upgrade to go through. I
have loaded SSH support and Webmin, so I can manage the server via
PuTTY, WinSCP and Webmin. Apache is running.

The FC2 upgrade just didn't. I saw no errors; it just wasn't there
when I got home. That's one downside of a slow server. I can't babysit
the upgrades and I have no way of knowing what errors might have
occurred that have already scrolled off the page.

I think I'm going to have to find some more RAM. 320MB is just too
painful. Unfortunately, the RAM has gone through the "obsolete and
therefore cheap and plentiful" stage and is now in the "we're the only
folks that still have it" stage. I saw an ebayer selling 128MB sticks
for about $20 each with $50 shipping!!! Excuse me? Does RAM weigh that
much on YOUR planet? Scalpers!

Anyway, going to attempt another FC2 upgrade tonight.

L8r,

Steve