ZZzzzzzz

Old June 8th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default ZZzzzzzz

Nut Cracker wrote:
Ahhh, the mini-50. Its SCSI-2. I dont know if I have a 68pin to mini-50 ...
i know i have a mini-50 to Centronics, tho.

Yeah, I don't have one of those either. I do have a mini-to-mini that
is used by the HP Netserver cards...but not one of those. If you
remember, Rick, in your original thread I mentioned the possible cable
and terminator trouble.

Old June 8th 06, 03:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Nut Cracker wrote:
Seriously ... unless that drive is daisey chained to another drive ... it
should auto-terminate.

Okay, LC, I am going to acquiesce to your greater experience here...but
it does fly in the face of my experience. For a BACKUP SOLUTION
everything must be perfect. On the question of termination, I don't
think I could live with "should".

Jeff

Old June 8th 06, 04:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nut Cracker wrote:
Seriously ... unless that drive is daisey chained to another drive ... it
should auto-terminate.

Okay, LC, I am going to acquiesce to your greater experience here...but
it does fly in the face of my experience. For a BACKUP SOLUTION
everything must be perfect. On the question of termination, I don't
think I could live with "should".

Jeff

I have a couple mini-50 terminators ... passive, of course.

Old June 8th 06, 04:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
I have a couple mini-50 terminators ... passive, of course.

I would be willing to bet that they are HP and not Compaq branded.

dunno ... but they are OLD ....

Old June 8th 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article .com, Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

Nut Cracker wrote:
Ahhh, the mini-50. Its SCSI-2. I dont know if I have a 68pin to mini-50 ...
i know i have a mini-50 to Centronics, tho.

Yeah, I don't have one of those either. I do have a mini-to-mini that
is used by the HP Netserver cards...but not one of those. If you
remember, Rick, in your original thread I mentioned the possible cable
and terminator trouble.

No problem.. On the terminator side of things, should I lean towards an
active terminator or passive (or doesn't matter), and I notice some of them
are listed as only being for differential SCSI which I believe means that
they use twisted pairs of some sort for each "signal" instead of a single
wire for each signal.. For a cable and connection of this sort, can I assume
this is NOT differential SCSI? I just want to make sure I'm getting the
right crud..

P.S. Here's an example terminator I found on E*bay that I think would
work OK -- comments?

http://tinyurl.com/jngjh

-- Rick

Old June 8th 06, 06:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Rick F. wrote:
No problem.. On the terminator side of things, should I lean towards an
active terminator or passive (or doesn't matter), and I notice some of them
are listed as only being for differential SCSI which I believe means that
they use twisted pairs of some sort for each "signal" instead of a single
wire for each signal.. For a cable and connection of this sort, can I assume
this is NOT differential SCSI? I just want to make sure I'm getting the
right crud..

P.S. Here's an example terminator I found on E*bay that I think would
work OK -- comments?

http://tinyurl.com/jngjh

-- Rick

You definitely want an ACTIVE terminator, if possible. LC would be a
better resource for your questions, but I am worried about the link you
gave describing a 50pin connection. I could be wrong, but I don't think
this is what you need. If you do have mini connections, they will still
be 68pin. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

But lets do get LC's opinion on this before you buy anything.

Jeff

Old June 8th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

-- Rick

You definitely want an ACTIVE terminator, if possible. LC would be a
better resource for your questions, but I am worried about the link you
gave describing a 50pin connection. I could be wrong, but I don't think
this is what you need. If you do have mini connections, they will still
be 68pin. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

But lets do get LC's opinion on this before you buy anything.

Jeff

Jeff, he sighted the proper terminator for his tape drive. I have not seen
ANY DLTIII drives that use the VHDCI connectors (referenced in the link you
provided).

Rick, the terminator you found will be fine.

- LC

Old June 8th 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

-- Rick

You definitely want an ACTIVE terminator, if possible. LC would be a
better resource for your questions, but I am worried about the link you
gave describing a 50pin connection. I could be wrong, but I don't think
this is what you need. If you do have mini connections, they will still
be 68pin. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

But lets do get LC's opinion on this before you buy anything.

Jeff

Jeff, he sighted the proper terminator for his tape drive. I have not seen
ANY DLTIII drives that use the VHDCI connectors (referenced in the link you
provided).

Rick, the terminator you found will be fine.

Thanks for the info.. I checked the link Jeff gave and that connector I'm
sure would not fit my tape drive -- that looks more like a mini-centronics
sort of style connector -- which is different based on their picture..

So, I'll see about fetching up an active terminator and cable for this
thing and then I guess I'll have to round up some tapes too since I've
got none to even try this thing out with.. Any ideas on what a good price
might be for good quality tapes? Thanks for the helpful info so far!

-- Rick

Old June 8th 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Thanks for the info.. I checked the link Jeff gave and that connector I'm
sure would not fit my tape drive -- that looks more like a mini-centronics
sort of style connector -- which is different based on their picture..

So, I'll see about fetching up an active terminator and cable for this
thing and then I guess I'll have to round up some tapes too since I've
got none to even try this thing out with.. Any ideas on what a good price
might be for good quality tapes? Thanks for the helpful info so far!

-- Rick

you should be able to find a nice lot of DLIII/IV tapes fairly cheap. Again,
check eBay ...