DLT7000 and a Proliant 5000

Old October 1st 05, 02:53 AM
Robert Bates

I have to admit I think this is the longest thread I have ever seen on this
group. Thanks everyone for your help. I thought I would either try the
adapter ( which I took back to my local electronics store today to trade for
the 68 pin cable ) or I'll look on eBay and see if I can find one of the
small 1850r style cd drives with the 68 pin connector. The cd/tape cage on
the 5000 is really small anyway once you stuff a DLT7000 into it.

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...
What a magnificent thread this has become! I couldn't resist jumping
in.

None of my ProLiants have 50 pin headers. But it sounds like the drive
works when attached to the 68 pin header. Can I suggest you put the
50/68 adapter on the CD and the tape drive, and get a multiconnector 68
pin cable with a terminator on the end. Give the two drives different
SCSI ID's and proceed to chain them together on the single (and
apparently working) 68 pin header?

I have a 3000 with a SCSI CD and tape drive both connected in just this
way, and it worked right from the start.

Let's keep going, though. I think we can hit 50 responses if everybody
jumps in!

Old October 1st 05, 04:20 AM
Alex Blanco

Well once we started rolling. Mind came back from the long vaction it's
been on. Also I've done some housekeeping in my office so I was able to
dig out the 5000 tower I have. Yes the 5000 has a 50pin header and it's
an either or 50pin - 68pin. The way around for me was to use the
external 68pin port instead of a 68 to 50 pin adapter. They were had to
come by and too expensive at that time. The cable through the back of
the case and into the port. Not pretty, but it worked. At some point I
picked up another scsi card. But in your case Robert it just depends on
what's on hand. If you have a spare scsi card that's at least ultra wide
or the 68 to 50pin adapter for the cdrom. BTW. From what I can recall
the cdrom drive has to be connected to the internal channel or the
machine won't boot. Sorry for being so long winded.

But hope your all set now.

Old October 1st 05, 06:14 PM
Robert Bates

Thanks for the help.

I found a 50 pin card in my parts box and was able to connect the cd to it
and leave the tape drive connected to the 68 pin connector on the
motherboard.

Everything finally works!

I also found that when the tape drive is used for backup you have to specify
DLT rather than file. For some reason the DLT doesn't come up in the list
of drives in "my computer"

Old October 1st 05, 06:39 PM
Guy Macon

Robert Bates wrote:

Thanks for the help.

I found a 50 pin card in my parts box and was able to connect the cd to it
and leave the tape drive connected to the 68 pin connector on the
motherboard.

Everything finally works!

I also found that when the tape drive is used for backup you have to specify
DLT rather than file. For some reason the DLT doesn't come up in the list
of drives in "my computer"

Does it show up in the Disk Management utility? What does Device Manager
say about the drive? Try the Upgrade Driver Wizard with th search set to
look on the Microsoft website.

--
Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/

Old October 3rd 05, 02:40 AM
Jeffrey Alsip

Great! A Guy Macon appearance! I think that might be all of us. Why are
there no Compaq guys from India? They are all over the Fedora Core
newsgroup.

Old October 3rd 05, 02:47 AM
Jeffrey Alsip

No, I was wrong. We are still missing Rick F and "."

Old October 3rd 05, 05:06 AM
Robert Bates

Thanks everyone for the help. After getting it to work with Windows which I
was just using for testing, I tried to clear it with SmartStart so I could
install Fedora Core 4. Of course it wouldn't boot from the cd. I've found
a PL3000 with a PIII 500 and a tape drive for about the same price I paid
for the tape drive alone so I'm going to upgrade a little bit and find
something else for the PL5000 to do.

Old October 7th 05, 04:28 PM
Rick F.

In article .com, Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
No, I was wrong. We are still missing Rick F and "."

Hey.. I'm still here! Not sure I've got anything to add
to this (long) thread though! Just been busy at work!

-- Rick

Old October 7th 05, 04:30 PM
Rick F.

In article , Robert Bates wrote:
for the tape drive alone so I'm going to upgrade a little bit and find
something else for the PL5000 to do.

Just don't use it on your kayak as a boat anchor.. (8-

Old October 9th 05, 04:24 PM
Robert Bates

I think it might end up as a backup email server. I have a hard time
throwing things away. You should see my basement :~)