Compaq Proliant 5500 won't power up

Old September 18th 03, 11:50 AM
Jim Balson

Default Compaq Proliant 5500 won't power up

I just bought a used Compaq Proliant 5500 server. I installed Linux on
it and all is working OK. I then wanted to have a look 'inside'. So I removed
the side cover and began to poke around a bit. I removed the CPU's and the
CPU Power Modules. I put them back in, just wanted to check them out.

I put the cover back on now it won't power on. The fans wil lnot come,
nothing. There are however some lights on the motherboard that are 'ON'. They a

Light color
----- -----
Memory off
CPU 4 on amber
CPU 3 on amber
CPU 2 on amber
CPU 1 on amber
I/O on amber

Then just below these lights there is another light that is on. It is
labeled "General Interlock Fault". It is on and Yellow.

GIF on yellow

Generally, I consider myself a hands on type of person in that I have
opened many comuters before, rebuilt them by replacing cards, disks, power
supplies, floppies, etc. Never ran into any major problems.

I think that in this case however, I didn't truly know what I was doing.
I suspect that anyway. I have since been reading about the Proliant 5500 and
found that there are some security features that I don't know much about.

From HP's web site, I have foundthe Proliant 5500 web site and see
in the product description the following:

Security
Power-on password; keyboard password; Quicklock; QuickBlank;
Network Server Mode; Diskette Boot Control;
Diskette Drive Control; Serial Interface Control;
Parallel Interface Control; System Configuration Lock;
Administrator's Password; Protected Power Switch.

I can't seem to find any more information about these security features.
I suspect that I violated some security feature (by removing thew CPU's?) on
this sysem and it now won't power on until I do something. But I'm not sure
of this and if I'm right, I've no idea what I nee to do to get it to power on.

I'm going to continue looking for info on these security features, but if
anyone knows anything about, if oyu could guide me as to what I need to do to
get this machine to power on, it would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks, Jim

--
-----------------------
Jim

Old September 18th 03, 01:26 PM
Jim Balson

Some more info on my Proliant 5500 problems.

When I plug the system into the wall socket, the green power lights on
the back of the 2 power supplies come on. As do alot of other lights in and
around the motherboard, which includes the ones described on the motherboard
in the previous post.

When I press the power button on the front panel, nothing happens. The
green lightr on the front does not come on, no signal is sent to the monitor as
the monitor flashes, continually, the "No Signal" message.

I've tries hitting all of the 'F' keys when in this mode but
nothing happens.

Did I do something real bad to this machine when I opened up the cover
and removed and then reinserted the CPU's? When I removed and reinserted the
CPU's, the unit was most definately OFF, but was still plugged into the wall.

Jim

--
-----------------------
Jim

Old September 18th 03, 02:10 PM
Mike Calkins

Try putting the cover back on, some units in that age required a override
cover tool to power up with the cover open......

Old September 18th 03, 02:51 PM
Jim Balson

In alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq Mike Calkins wrote:
Try putting the cover back on, some units in that age required a override
cover tool to power up with the cover open......

Thanks for the reply. I did that, and the machine will still
not power up.

Jim

Old September 18th 03, 03:44 PM
Jim Balson

In alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq Jim Balson wrote:
In alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq Mike Calkins wrote:
Try putting the cover back on, some units in that age required a override
cover tool to power up with the cover open......

Thanks for the reply. I did that, and the machine will still
not power up.

I solved it. The CPU modules and the terminator boards were not seated properly. I read aboutthis on the HP forums for the 5500. It was suggested that you 'sit on them' to get them seated properly. I didn't quite do that, but I jamed them in there and all of the Interlock faults lights went off.

It's now up and running again.

Thanks, Jim

Jim

Old September 18th 03, 11:18 PM
Mike Calkins

"Happy Days" are here again..

Just sit on it!
I'm glad that you fixed it, and I'll be careful with my 5500R

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM