GA 790XTA-UD4 No Drives Found

Old August 7th 10, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
KernelDebugger

Default GA 790XTA-UD4 No Drives Found

Early in the boot sequence this screen appears:

Gigabyte Technology: PCI Express to SATA II HOST
Controller ROM V1.07.16C
Detecting Drives; Done;
No Drives Found

The systems works great. I'm running a single SATA II, no RAID. The HDD
is connected to one of the SATA II ports. BIOS F2.

Is there a controller in the BIOS that I can disable to stop that screen
(and the few
seconds delay it causes)?

TIA

Old August 7th 10, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

KernelDebugger wrote:
Early in the boot sequence this screen appears:

Gigabyte Technology: PCI Express to SATA II HOST
Controller ROM V1.07.16C
Detecting Drives; Done;
No Drives Found

The systems works great. I'm running a single SATA II, no RAID. The HDD
is connected to one of the SATA II ports. BIOS F2.

Is there a controller in the BIOS that I can disable to stop that screen
(and the few
seconds delay it causes)?

TIA

In the manual, under "Integrated Peripherals", I see

OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled] SB750 ribbon cable IDE
OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled] SB750 six sata ports total
OnChip SATA Type [Native IDE] SB750 ports 0..3
x OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type IDE SB750 ports 4..5
Onboard ESATA Controller [Enabled] JMB362 two ESATA
Onboard ESATA Mode [IDE]
Onboard SATA3 controller [Enabled] Marvell 9128 two SATA 6gbit
Onboard SATA3 Mode [IDE]
GSATA RAID Configuration [Press Enter] Mavell 9128 soft RAID capable

My guess is, it would be the JMB362. I think the Jmicron ROM on my board
does something similar. When it detects a drive, sometimes the drive
name will be in green letters. (It uses one color for hard drives, and
another color for optical drives detected.)

You have potentially three RAID options on your board.

1) RAID via SB750 (It appears AMD is using Promise Technology code for that)
"Press Ctrl-F to enter FastBuild..." is a line from a Promise prompt.

2) RAID via ESATA JMB362
"Press Ctrl-G to enter RAID Setup Utility"

3) RAID via Marvell 9128 (set AHCI mode, then use GSATA RAID line to configure)

So the RAID setup on the first two items, happens just after the computer
starts to power up and POST, and you press the magic key combo. The magic key
combo works, as long as, in a previous BIOS session, the RAID setting in the
BIOS was enabled and saved.

The 9128 setup is more "immediate", in the sense that you can do the whole
thing in the same BIOS page, at the same time.

*******

One thing to keep in the back of your mind, with that number of option ROMs,
is the amount of low memory available when the BIOS is starting.

On some desktops, there is a 128KB region defined below 640K, which is
used to hold all "add-on" BIOS modules. Each BIOS module needs memory to
operate. Each BIOS module goes through two stages - an initial stage,
where it uses the most memory, followed by a stage where it "shrinks"
its memory requirement for the reminder of POST. By shrinking, it may
leave enough for the next module to load.

From that 128KB, an Nvidia video card might grab 64KB for the VESA BIOS.
At one time, the Nvidia didn't shrink at all, so might stay at 64KB.
That leaves 64KB for the three above RAID BIOS options (or the Jmicron
message you're seeing). If you were to add an actual RAID card to the
computer, it would have a BIOS code module to load at boot as well.

This is all fine and good, until the 64KB is exhausted. It is strictly
first come, first serve. If you ever find a situation, where one
of those BIOS modules doesn't seem to be loading, you may have used
up the 64KB left over. In such a case, disable any onboard controller
code, which you aren't using, and then your add-in card code may
begin to run for you.

So as well as shortening POST time, you can also save the low memory
resource, for usage by some other card at POST.

I think a LAN chip that supports PXE booting or the like, may also
consume that memory. That small chunk of memory is pretty busy.
Thank the PC architecture, for all that "fun" being stuffed below
640K. You can have gobs of memory plugged into the computer, and
you're still stuck with puny 128KB limits on that particular kind
of memory resource.

*******

To answer your original question:

Onboard ESATA Controller [Disabled]

By the way, the downloadable PDF versions of the user manual, are
miles ahead of using the paper copy included in the box. The print
is relatively small in the paper copies, and you have no "search"
capability. The PDF makes it much quicker to find stuff (assuming
you own at least one other computer that is currently running).

The paper copy exists, so you can be on a desert island, and be
able to complete your build without any other source of info.

HTH,
Paul

Old August 7th 10, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
KernelDebugger

"Paul" wrote in message
KernelDebugger wrote:
[...]

From that 128KB, an Nvidia video card might grab 64KB for the VESA BIOS.
[...]

Thank you. Obviously I need to do some studying to
digest all the good info. There are several issues with the boot
up and now I have a better idea of who the culprits are.

Old August 8th 10, 01:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
KernelDebugger

Thanks Paul, disabling the Onboard ESata Controller got rid of the Detecting
Drives; No Drives Found.

"KernelDebugger" kerneldebugger @cox2.net wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
KernelDebugger wrote:
[...]

From that 128KB, an Nvidia video card might grab 64KB for the VESA BIOS.

Old August 10th 10, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jim[_31_]

Great post Paul. Just another reason we need to switch to EFI.