GA-P55A-UD4 and hot swap SATA drives

Old March 28th 10, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Uzi

Default GA-P55A-UD4 and hot swap SATA drives

I have recently built a PC, based on the P55A-UD4 mobo.
I purchased Antec Easy SATA drive bay, for connecting drives externally,
and it is connected to regulat SATA. I need the external drive to be hot
swap, while the internals ones not to be, so the internal ones will not
appear in the add/remove programs. I thus used the standard SATA for the
internal drives and the Marvell 9128 GSATA sockets for the drive bay. I
defined the GSATA sockets as AHCI in the BIOS and installed the AHCI
Marvell91xx drivers. Yet, any hard rive I put in the Antec drive bay is
not hot plugged.

I have connected the drive bay with 5 wires SATA electric power source.

Any idea as to what do I miss?

Uzi

for e-mail user is azuz and domain is nisht.com
Uzi
For e-mail contact and other, see:
http://www.uzipaz.com

Old March 29th 10, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

What happens if you plug the drive directly into the motherboard
GSATA3 connector, and power the drive directly from the power supply?

Old March 30th 10, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Uzi

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:15:20 -0700, Andy wrote:

What happens if you plug the drive directly into the motherboard
GSATA3 connector, and power the drive directly from the power supply?

I tried it. It behaves exactly the same. Should I understand from your
message, that it had to work the way I did it.
The hard drive is now identified when plugged, but does not appear in
the safely removed program, and a new hard drive that has not yet been
installd is not recognised when connected.

Thanks,

Uzi

Old April 2nd 10, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Udo Kammer

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:08:09 +0300, Uzi wrote:

The hard drive is now identified when plugged, but does not appear in
the safely removed program, and a new hard drive that has not yet been
installd is not recognised when connected.

The intel SATA-Controller still does not support eSATA. You have to
connect your HD to the JMicron controller and install the latest eSATA
drivers from JMicron. There the safely remove function is available.

Udo
Old April 3rd 10, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Uzi

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 11:54:14 +0200, Udo Kammer
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:08:09 +0300, Uzi wrote:

The hard drive is now identified when plugged, but does not appear in
the safely removed program, and a new hard drive that has not yet been
installd is not recognised when connected.

The intel SATA-Controller still does not support eSATA. You have to
connect your HD to the JMicron controller and install the latest eSATA
drivers from JMicron. There the safely remove function is available.

Udo

Thanks, but as I wrote, the SATA controller is made by Marvell - not
Intel or JMicron. and both controllers (Intel and Marvell) claim to
support AHCI, so I thought they are supposed to support hot plugging as
this is part of the AHCI standard, (and as I wrote, I did enable AHCI
for the Marvell). I also checked and I use the latest (official)
controller driver from Marvell.

P.S.
Wouldn't it make sense if there was a way to choose which drives to be
hot plugged and which drives not, even when they are using the same
controller.