Sound problem with GA-MA69GM-S2h MB

Old November 4th 08, 06:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jimbo

Default Sound problem with GA-MA69GM-S2h MB

System runs Ubuntu and Windows XP SP3. Sound is fine under Ubuntu but
does not work at all under Windows. I have tried loading and reloading
Windows drivers to no avail. At present, Device Manger shows:
ATI Function Driver for HD Audio - ATI791A
Audio Codecs
Audio Device on HD Audio Bus
etc.

If I go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices: Properties, I get
ATI HD Audio rear output. If I look at the driver details for this I
see ATIHDMI.sys which suggests to me a HDMI connection rather than the
stereo speakers I am using.

Can anyone help with this, please?
Old November 4th 08, 08:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Jimbo wrote:
System runs Ubuntu and Windows XP SP3. Sound is fine under Ubuntu but
does not work at all under Windows. I have tried loading and reloading
Windows drivers to no avail. At present, Device Manger shows:
ATI Function Driver for HD Audio - ATI791A
Audio Codecs
Audio Device on HD Audio Bus
etc.

If I go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices: Properties, I get
ATI HD Audio rear output. If I look at the driver details for this I
see ATIHDMI.sys which suggests to me a HDMI connection rather than the
stereo speakers I am using.

Can anyone help with this, please?

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2938&p=2

"As for HDMI, the audio support is enabled through an interface in the
RS690 Northbridge while the SB600 Southbridge handles the HD audio
controller interface. The standard HD audio codec will come from
Realtek who has developed a driver package that allows the user to
control both the HDMI and HD audio interfaces from a single application.
Having the HDMI audio hardware on-board means we aren't simply using
a pass-through on the graphics card as we have seen in most
implementations. This enables the user to have better control over
audio adjustments through the integrated software package. We are
still waiting for the full specifications of the HDMI audio capabilities
but have tested our 5.1 setup with output set to 24-bits at 48kHz."

Page 19 in the downloadable user manual, shows the interfaces for selecting one
of the two chips, in some popular Windows OSes. The Vista control panel
shows three options, corresponding to the following hardware.

SB600 --- ALC889 ----- S/PDIF connector (PCI slot bracket?)
----- 7.1 analog via jacks (full 2x3 stack)

690G ---------------- HDMI_Audio

Since one driver supports all of that, if one of the interfaces seems
to be working, the files should all have been installed. UAA should be
part of the driver package, and UAA is needed to make HDAudio work.
(I don't know the relationship to HDMI, but it could be similar.)
Some people experience a problem, where a previously installed copy of
UAA, seems to conflict with what the driver installer needs. There is
a particular uninstall sequence, to fix it (if you can comprehend what
the guy is saying).

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...4?dmode=source

You'd have to look under more than one entry in the Device Manager,
to see what drivers are used. And the RealTek package used to install
the drivers, may also give you some ideas as to what files it would
have tried to install.

Paul
Old November 5th 08, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jimbo

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...p.general/msg/...

You'd have to look under more than one entry in the Device Manager,
to see what drivers are used. And the RealTek package used to install
the drivers, may also give you some ideas as to what files it would
have tried to install.

* * Paul

Thanks.
Solved the problem and now have sound under Windows XP. Didn't have
time to check the Ubuntu this morning. Anyway, here's what I did:
under Device Manager, System, I uninstalled one instance of UAA.
Could not uninstall the second instance, so rebooted in Safe Mode and
tried again. Still could not uninstall it but could first disable it
and then was allowed to uninstall. Next I removed the Realtek audio
package using Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs. Rebooted as
requested to make sure everything was clean and then installed the
latest rev of the Realtek drivers. Still no sound but the Realtek
Audio icon appeared in the Task Bar Tray and allowed me to configure
speaker arrangement etc. Shortly afterwards, I heard glorious
sound
This was a major PITA and the conflicts must have arisen from UAA on
MB CD and a SP or Windows XP original CD's which are pre SP anything!
My guess is that Realtek installs UAA and if UAA is already there, a
conflict arises which doesn't allow Realtek to correctly install.
Old February 23rd 10, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Rocketsteve

Thanks Jimbo. Followed your instructions and it solved the issue I had.
I didn't need to go into Safe Mode to remove the second UAA in System,
just disabling and uninstalling worked for me.
The latest audio driver installed correctly after this as I was getting
an error code initially.